The Student Room Group

Changing units

Whats the easiest way to convert mm^2 into m^2??
Original post by Tobeadoc
Whats the easiest way to convert mm^2 into m^2??

think of a square of side length 1mm. It's area is then 1mm multiplied by 1mm = 1mm^2.

However, if you consider it in meters. 1mm = 10^-3m so it's area is (10^-3)*(10^-3) = 10^-6 meters. So 1mm = 10^-6 m.

P.S. You may also think of mm^2 as (10^-3m)^2 = 10^-6m.

hope i helped!
Reply 2
Original post by hecandothatfromran
think of a square of side length 1mm. It's area is then 1mm multiplied by 1mm = 1mm^2.

However, if you consider it in meters. 1mm = 10^-3m so it's area is (10^-3)*(10^-3) = 10^-6 meters. So 1mm = 10^-6 m.

P.S. You may also think of mm^2 as (10^-3m)^2 = 10^-6m.

hope i helped!

If you take the equation (λm)T = B. If you then plot a graph of T against 1/(λm). What is the gradient? I would have said B, but the answer is 1/B
If you take the equation (λm)T = B. If you then plot a graph of T against 1/(λm). What is the gradient? I would have said B, but the answer is 1/B

My mathematical vocabulary isn't perfect so i assume you mean a graph of T (x-axis) and 1/(λm) on the y axis.

then for a straight line the gradient is y/x = [1/(λm)]/T= 1/(Tλm) = 1/B
Reply 4
Original post by hecandothatfromran
My mathematical vocabulary isn't perfect so i assume you mean a graph of T (x-axis) and 1/(λm) on the y axis.

then for a straight line the gradient is y/x = [1/(λm)]/T= 1/(Tλm) = 1/B

Other way around T on y-axis and 1/ 1/(λm) on the x axis....
Other way around T on y-axis and 1/ 1/(λm) on the x axis....

Then I assure you your mark scheme is wrong. You came up with the correct answer and solution.

Quick Reply

Latest