The Student Room Group

Having an existential crisis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHM41jKJpk

I listened to the first hour of this and it caused me to have an existential crisis about the very nature of my being as a woman. In summary the pod cast talks about how women are inherently narcissistic, emotionally are stuck at the level of children, are inherently materialistic. Then they're talking about things like the consciousness of men being on a higher plane because (among other things) they don't need to live through 'stuff' (including children) like women do.

I've heard some of this before in passing comments, but this just clarifies everything, and although my personality is one of low narcissism and things like being manipulative, I can see that what they are saying and it really resonates with the nature of reality (looking at the way other women behave, and myself) for me. Men have designed and built everything we have in this world, bar a few exceptions, and women sit around demanding more and more stuff and admiring themselves in the mirror, or dressing slutty to get the attention of men with no intention to even talk to them, or maybe even look them in the eye. Something I used to do on a regular basis when out clubbing for e.g.

Anyway, back to the 'i'm a big baby' side of things- I sobbed for a bit and now i'm typing this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
I expect any responses to be that of the 'knee jerk' variety, and I haven't really summarized their points/the argument well, but if anyone has anything pointfull to say about this topic as a whole...
Reply 2
There there, darling, don't you worry your pretty little head over unimportant matters like this. Have a good sleep and you'll feel better in the morning.
Reply 3
Original post by thesabbath
There there, darling, don't you worry your pretty little head over unimportant matters like this. Have a good sleep and you'll feel better in the morning.

I had another cry this morning, then I watched some tv and I've calmed down now.
Reply 4
I haven't watched the video but from your summary it sounds like something that I've heard before, and even thought myself. But I should think that if women are materialistic and such, then men have created a society where it is necessary for them to be that way. I wouldn't worry about it though; go and talk to someone in real life about it maybe.
Reply 5
Its ball locks. Women are perfectly capable of intellectual and philosophical enlightenment, as the poster above says (correctly in my view) - if women are indeed that way (debatable) its a survival mechanism that has been mimetically ingrained over millennia by a male dominated society. Relax :smile: In this modern era of international communication and connection, we have more freedom now than ever to be who we want ourselves to be. If you don't want to express yourself through the works of other people then a) there's nothing stopping you going out and defining your own world and b) basically everyone else does that anyway, so you wouldn't be any worse than most people.
Its funny how the concept of a legacy affects people as much as it does. Essentially all most people *really* care about is what other people think about them. Even if they just want other people to think "Check them out, they don't care what no-one thinks about them!" .. about them :smile:

What I'm trying to say is: I think both women and men both suffer from the vices you described from the video (at work, youtube blocked, can't watch) maybe its more identifiable in women as they are less inclined to hide that, but its within men too.
I'm a guy and,don't get defined by anyone but yourself, My dear. Woman is just a word!
It's pointless of letting somebody else demeaning you casually. They don't take any responsibility of your life!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending