The Student Room Group

Long questions/answers

I'm doing IGCSE for all sciences

Will I get marked down for using bullet point answers for the 5-8 mark questions?

Thanks
I didn't do the IGCSE, but in my final high school exams, they WILL mark you down if you use bullet points. It shows that you're being lazy and can't be bothered to construct sophisticated paragraphs to express your ideas.

I would definitely do a few practice questions that have 5-8 marks and write them in full paragraphs so that you will be prepared for when the exam comes :smile:
Reply 2
I did IGCSE Science (Edexcel, so if you're with CIE, I'm not sure), and my teacher told me that while paragraphs are preferred, if you are running out of time, putting something down is better than putting nothing down, and the examiners are probably lenient enough to give you the marks (since mostly for the long answers they're looking for specific key words used, so if you put them down you should be fine :smile: ). Still, I recommend writing in full sentences, or if absolutely necessary to write in bullet points, don't make it too abbreviated, but rather close to standard English.

Quick Reply

Latest