The Student Room Group

Do you have to be eloquent in paragraphs in GCSE Science?

Do you have to be eloquent and structure your answer to GCSE Science paper questions, especially ones that require you to detail methods to practicals, as opposed to merely bullet-pointing your answer? My science teacher said that you need to be eloquent in order to achieve a grade 9, because the examiner will compare it to other answers that may be less eloquent and bullet-pointed and would give you the higher mark, but I am (hopefully understandably) skeptical.
Reply 1
No
Reply 2
Original post by yzven
No

U sure?
Reply 3
Original post by doorhandle86
U sure?

Yes just get the key points and correct wording and you get 6/6
Reply 4
You need to meet the standards of Quality of Written Communication set out by your exam board.

E. G. GCSE Sciences Guidance on Quality of Written Communication https://www.animatedscience.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/General-ASA-Guidance-on-QWC-questions.pdf
Reply 5
Original post by Joinedup
You need to meet the standards of Quality of Written Communication set out by your exam board.

E. G. GCSE Sciences Guidance on Quality of Written Communication https://www.animatedscience.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/General-ASA-Guidance-on-QWC-questions.pdf

thats old spec
Reply 6
Do you have to be eloquent and structure your answer to GCSE Science paper questions, especially ones that require you to detail methods to practicals, as opposed to merely bullet-pointing your answer? My science teacher said that you need to be eloquent in order to achieve a grade 9, because the examiner will compare it to other answers that may be less eloquent and bullet-pointed and would give you the higher mark, but I am (hopefully understandably) skeptical.

Hi, so I got 8/8 in double science, and I'd say that it's important to be clear and precise. You don't need to blather on, but it's really important that you use key terms. Structuring your answer according to the marks for each question is important. 1 mark- 1 point. This can be a single sentence, even, as long as you use the key term and relate it to the question. You can use bullet points, but honestly, paragraphs are better, imo. The best thing to do is to look at past paper questions and the mark scheme. Everyone tells you this, i know, but it is, truly, the best method of revision i did. In edexcel, my exam board, the mark scheme has the key term in bold. You can get past paper questions from physics and maths tutors. For example, you could look at the past paper questions for a topic and note down the key terms that are used in the mark scheme, and by repeating all of the questions in the pack you memorise exactly how they want you to answer the question for full marks. This is tedious and long and so boring but trust me, it is the best thing you can do if you want that 9. I started revising in about january, not that often, a couple hours a week, and i managed an 8. Also, i've never heard of examiners comparing answers. Idk where your teacher got that from lol. They give u the marks based on the mark scheme, and the key terms they want u to use. Ofc, a certain degree of writing is expected, but you don't need to use fancy words and long sentences to get marks. Anyways, this is so long, im sorry! Good luck, i hope you do get that 9 <3

You don't need to be as on-your-toes as you do for english, because the 6 markers are mainly marked in line with the key terms you've written about and the main points you've mentioned. As long as you write about what the question asks to to write about and you give the correct info/explanation you will get all 6 marks.

Just make sure that what you've written is clear + understandable to read, so the examiner doesn't get confused. Apart from that, I'd say that you don't need to overthink the structure or layout of it. Some of my teachers also said that sometimes they allow people to just write in bullet points if they're running out of time.

Quick Reply

Latest