The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prof. Essional
And?

It raises concerns, about social integration and cohesion.

In a country that want's to be multicultural, there should never be a point where an area is so populated by one culture or race that people of another culture or race don't want to settle down there, it is the antithesis of a social adaption and inclusion.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 321
Original post by Tufto
Oh. I guess I need to stop skimming :tongue:

That is somewhat different. My apologies.

Nah, you need to stop taking what democracyforum says at face value. It says none of them have English as a first language. Nowhere does it comment on their ability in English.
Fools gold for anyone taking democracyforum seriously.
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
It raises concerns, about social integration and cohesion.

In a country that want's to be multicultural, there should never be a point where an area is so populated by one culture or race that people of another culture or race don't want to settle down there, it is the antithesis of a social adaption and inclusion.

FYI - NO where in the UK is any ONE culture so predominant that other cultures don't want to live there except the out in the sticks where nearly everyone is white. People are treating these finding as if they said "84 schools in UK are 100% Pakistani" or "84 school in the UK have 100% Somali students".

They may be 100% non white-British, that doesn't mean that they are 100% something else, in fact I think they mention the myriad of different cultures existing side by side.

One thing I've wanted to ask - are the teachers in these schools also first generation immigrants or do we have 100% non white-British students being taught British curriculum by white-British teachers? Does that matter or not, do people think?
Original post by heshop
Could you expand on that?

This may be my misunderstanding, but certainly from an American perspective, hasn't the UK been a melting pot of different cultures for hundreds of years, and more successful at it than other nations (e.g. France)?

I think internationally people give respect to the UK for being a welcoming nation, regardless of your colour and creed (despite what Thesabbath would have you believe)
Original post by effofex
Most migrant workers in Dubai do not jump of buildings. I am fully aware that there have been cases of exploitation, but migrant workers continue to move to Dubai to earn some quick money.

Many migrants in Dubai have no intention of 'integrating' with the local Emirati population because they:

a) may not speak Arabic at all - many technical functions there use English.
b) may enjoy consuming non-Arab cuisine including alcohol
c) may find the customs of Emirati people to be quite boring.
d) may want to save as much money as possible rather than behaving in a profligate manner as many Emiratis do.

Despite the supposedly strict Islamic law, when 85% of your population is non-Emirati there is going to be some degree of multiculturalism.

I don't think we are both alluding to the same group here, you may be describing the kind of qualified skilled professionals thats come for good money granted.
What I'm talking about is the vast majority who are unskilled labour usually from South-East Asia or North Africa, who are given hideously low wages, terrible working conditions and are effectively an underclass which is hidden from Western tourists. Dubai is a very double-edged coin, the grandeur and progress of one side should not be mistaken as the norm.
Reply 326
Original post by Oschene23
I don't think we are both alluding to the same group here, you may be describing the kind of qualified skilled professionals thats come for good money granted.
What I'm talking about is the vast majority who are unskilled labour usually from South-East Asia or North Africa, who are given hideously low wages, terrible working conditions and are effectively an underclass which is hidden from Western tourists. Dubai is a very double-edged coin, the grandeur and progress of one side should not be mistaken as the norm.

Are the wages lower than in South-East Asia and North Africa? If so, why finance the cost of relocation to work for a lower wage?

Increasingly you see alot of men from these regions working in highly-skilled professions in Dubai and Emirates in the vicinity too.
Original post by effofex
Are the wages lower than in South-East Asia and North Africa? If so, why finance the cost of relocation to work for a lower wage?

Increasingly you see alot of men from these regions working in highly-skilled professions in Dubai and Emirates in the vicinity too.

Yes, they arrive out of the hope of a better life after being rounded up by recruiters who basically lie to them, but are instead heavily exploited and lives are miserable. Basically though it is quite clear that Dubai is not the multi-cultural paridise you are trying to claim, yes maybe if you are a rich Western business man with skills of interest to the established elite but not if you are part of the underclass. If you need any more persuading, take a look at this: real stories which might wake you up to the real depth of the problem there: Its a great article from The Independent written a few years back after the financial crash, should give you a bit of an eye opener.

"There are three different Dubais, all swirling around each other. There are the expats, like Karen; there are the Emiratis, headed by Sheikh Mohammed; and then there is the foreign underclass who built the city, and are trapped here. They are hidden in plain view. You see them everywhere, in dirt-caked blue uniforms, being shouted at by their superiors, like a chain gang but you are trained not to look. It is like a mantra: the Sheikh built the city. The Sheikh built the city. Workers? What workers?

Every evening, the hundreds of thousands of young men who build Dubai are bussed from their sites to a vast concrete wasteland an hour out of town, where they are quarantined away. Until a few years ago they were shuttled back and forth on cattle trucks, but the expats complained this was unsightly, so now they are shunted on small metal buses that function like greenhouses in the desert heat. They sweat like sponges being slowly wrung out.

Sonapur is a rubble-strewn patchwork of miles and miles of identical concrete buildings. Some 300,000 men live piled up here, in a place whose name in Hindi means "City of Gold". In the first camp I stop at riven with the smell of sewage and sweat the men huddle around, eager to tell someone, anyone, what is happening to them.

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (£2,300) for the work visa a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.

As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

Sahinal was in a panic. His family back home his son, daughter, wife and parents were waiting for money, excited that their boy had finally made it. But he was going to have to work for more than two years just to pay for the cost of getting here and all to earn less than he did in Bangladesh.

He shows me his room. It is a tiny, poky, concrete cell with triple-decker bunk-beds, where he lives with 11 other men. All his belongings are piled onto his bunk: three shirts, a spare pair of trousers, and a cellphone. The room stinks, because the lavatories in the corner of the camp holes in the ground are backed up with excrement and clouds of black flies. There is no air conditioning or fans, so the heat is "unbearable. You cannot sleep. All you do is sweat and scratch all night." At the height of summer, people sleep on the floor, on the roof, anywhere where they can pray for a moment of breeze.

The water delivered to the camp in huge white containers isn't properly desalinated: it tastes of salt. "It makes us sick, but we have nothing else to drink," he says.

The work is "the worst in the world," he says. "You have to carry 50kg bricks and blocks of cement in the worst heat imaginable ... This heat it is like nothing else. You sweat so much you can't pee, not for days or weeks. It's like all the liquid comes out through your skin and you stink. You become dizzy and sick but you aren't allowed to stop, except for an hour in the afternoon. You know if you drop anything or slip, you could die. If you take time off sick, your wages are docked, and you are trapped here even longer."

He is currently working on the 67th floor of a shiny new tower, where he builds upwards, into the sky, into the heat. He doesn't know its name. In his four years here, he has never seen the Dubai of tourist-fame, except as he constructs it floor-by-floor.

Is he angry? He is quiet for a long time. "Here, nobody shows their anger. You can't. You get put in jail for a long time, then deported." Last year, some workers went on strike after they were not given their wages for four months. The Dubai police surrounded their camps with razor-wire and water-cannons and blasted them out and back to work.

The "ringleaders" were imprisoned. I try a different question: does Sohinal regret coming? All the men look down, awkwardly. "How can we think about that? We are trapped. If we start to think about regrets..." He lets the sentence trail off. Eventually, another worker breaks the silence by adding: "I miss my country, my family and my land. We can grow food in Bangladesh. Here, nothing grows. Just oil and buildings."

Since the recession hit, they say, the electricity has been cut off in dozens of the camps, and the men have not been paid for months. Their companies have disappeared with their passports and their pay. "We have been robbed of everything. Even if somehow we get back to Bangladesh, the loan sharks will demand we repay our loans immediately, and when we can't, we'll be sent to prison."

This is all supposed to be illegal. Employers are meant to pay on time, never take your passport, give you breaks in the heat but I met nobody who said it happens. Not one. These men are conned into coming and trapped into staying, with the complicity of the Dubai authorities.

Sahinal could well die out here. A British man who used to work on construction projects told me: "There's a huge number of suicides in the camps and on the construction sites, but they're not reported. They're described as 'accidents'." Even then, their families aren't free: they simply inherit the debts. A Human Rights Watch study found there is a "cover-up of the true extent" of deaths from heat exhaustion, overwork and suicide, but the Indian consulate registered 971 deaths of their nationals in 2005 alone. After this figure was leaked, the consulates were told to stop counting.

At night, in the dusk, I sit in the camp with Sohinal and his friends as they scrape together what they have left to buy a cheap bottle of spirits. They down it in one ferocious gulp. "It helps you to feel numb", Sohinal says through a stinging throat. In the distance, the glistening Dubai skyline he built stands, oblivious."
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by effofex
*They are free to procure goods and services exclusively from companies which only employ a British workforce or use British factories.
*They are free to not sell or lease property to foreigners.

Evidently most British people care far more about their access to a free and internationalized market than about the ethnic demographics of the nation in which they live. If it was the opposite they would change their consumption behaviour.

Man you're a free market fundie. But you do make generally sound arguments.
Original post by de_monies
Biologically, I am as Caucasion as you are apparently:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

Outdated and meaningless classification. You're doing well already by rejecting racism, but you need to take the next step and reject 'races' all together. The concept of race is socially constructed. Biologically, separate races do not exist. But you probably already know this.
Original post by SHallowvale
So there are around 16,971 primary schools in England, according to ''Cilt''. That means that a total 67/16,971 schools consist of no white children. That's 0.4% of primary schools. Quite a big number, isn't it? (Sarcasm)

''OH NO WE'RE BEING OVERUN BY IMMIGRANTS! Panic panic panic! The white race will soon become a minority!''

Not exactly.

There are a total of 24,372 schools in England, according to the DoE. Now that makes 84/24,372 schools (most likely consisting of primary and secondary). Still, around 0.4%.

Not much of a big deal if you ask me. Hell, bump that number up to 50% and I still wouldn't care. Why should I?

Are you an idiot? In a white-majority country 84.......

primary schools have NO white pupils...

That's like going to Nigeria and finding 84 primary schools with no black children?!
Reply 331
Original post by billydisco

That's like going to Nigeria and finding 84 primary schools with no black children?!

It doesn't say no white pupils.
Original post by billydisco

Yes? What's your point?
Original post by thesabbath
If you're white British you're advocating the gradual genocide of your own race.

If you are not white British you are not in a position to patronize those who care about their nation and its people.

1."British" isnt a race
2. why does color matter?
Original post by Combat18
If i was in government i would bring them into school and teach them to be as socially right wing as what i am, if i was in government I would have 18 schools in each region and will get Neo Nazi headteachers and recruit Neo Nazi teachers. Moderate teachers can get jobs but they are not allowed to comment on opinion when it comes to history and politics those would be taught be neo nazi teachers.

We are giving foreigners more than what our children are getting. Much of this is off topic i suspect but I have wrote a lot of my opinions and view points in this post

Are you Hilters child? Are you serious? You would hire teachers in our school who would teach our youngsters that whichever race you are in is somehow superior?

Johnny foreigner doesn't get a better deal. I don't personally agree with faith schools but they clearly state the entry requirements and they have at accept a good 50% or so of any background students. All schools, public or private must be audited by Ofsted and have a legal obligation to teach and promote the Respect agenda which is effectively British values. In my own opinion this should be renamed human values as I struggle to find any civilised nation that doesn't share the same values.
(edited 7 years ago)
3 and a half years have past since this thread was live.

Stop trying to dig it up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Non-white people are getting educated? Oh my God how terrible.

Just shows you how you can never win an argument with the far-right, because they'll always complain no matter what position you take.

Latest

Trending

Trending