The Student Room Group

fellow asians of the UK rise up

british born chinese here! been living in the UK my whole life in a small area so there wasn't much diversity in my schools, anyone else? how were your experiences growing up in the UK as an asian? What's your ethnicity? What are your school plans?Are you going to uni? Let's talk!
(edited 2 years ago)
The title reminds me of that Hamilton song.. "Rise up When you're living on your knees, you rise up Tell your brother that he's gotta rise up Tell your sister that she's gotta rise up"
My experiences were only crap (within the context of being Asian) when my parents were involved.
I've only been studying in the UK for 3 years, now in my 4th, and I'd say things are okay in school (I got good grades so get along with teachers), but socially I'm definitely an outsider. I never know about gossip or scandals, but in a sense I'm grateful. I don't bother anymore to blend in or whatever.
I just feel slightly annoyed when I'm trying to speak clearly and still people ask 'pardon'. I understand that, but mostly I'm annoyed by my accent. It's better now than when I first come to the UK, but it still kicks it when I'm nervous. :s-smilie: I'm bit jealous how native english speakers don't pay in much effort to sound clear and yet everyone understands them.
british born chinese here as well. i go to a not very diverse school though there are other south asian/west asian people here but at one point i was the only east asian person there haha, growing up experienced the classic 'where are you ACTUALLY from' question in response to me saying i was born here lol and the occasional indirect racist joke (asians are smart/asian women are submissive/dog-eater blah blah blah)

school plans? gtfo out of here asap and move to london to go to imperial (got an offer) where i'll most likely be around other chinese/british born chinese/east asian people and also studying a subject i love!
Wow Imperial! Congrats!
Original post by Bookworm524
Wow Imperial! Congrats!

thanks!
Original post by ivyxue49
thanks!

Congratulations!
Original post by okidokae
british born chinese here! been living in the UK my whole life in a small area so there wasn't much diversity in my schools, anyone else? how were your experiences growing up in the UK as an asian? What's your ethnicity? What are your school plans?Are you going to uni? Let's talk!

born and grew up in the uk, but in primary school i was pretty much one of the only (maybe like 3 max.) asian student. i was usually envious of a lot of the white kids, since they were better in subjects than me, they were better socially, and the small, silly things like being more likely to be liked back by their crushes or having the main roles in school plays. luckily havent felt the same way in secondary, since there’s a lot more diversity compared to the small primary school i used to be in.
Reply 9

british born chinese here too. in primary school i was one of the only east asians, there were probably about 4 others but i was the only one in my year group. i got a lot of questions, almost harassment i’d say from a group of white boys in one of the years above nearly everyday asking me what my name is and where i’m from etc. id tell them one day and they’d keep on approaching me the next day. probably the start of where i wished i was white and “normal”, my friendship group was white with me as the exception. my high school was quite diverse in the way that it was like 50% white and 50% poc. again there were a small few of east asians in other year groups but i was only one of 2 in my own. id still get asked questions about where i was “actually” from although a lot of people would think i was only half asian and was half white which sadly gave me a lot of validation. the only people that would ask me so many questions about my background were white and i think this is where my almost prejudice for white people came from, my friendship group was all poc and they had shared the same experiences as me and had the same views on white people as me. at sixth form a few more east asians had joined the year group which made me feel more comfortable, none were girls though and i hadn’t talked to any of them since they weren’t in my classes, i wasn’t the most outgoing person. by this time being east asian was almost praised, kpop, kdramas and anime had become a thing and the questions about where i was from had stopped. this topic really interests me because i find it so weird how a few years ago i’d get people pulling their eyes in my face and now suddenly everyone wishes they were asian, like on tiktok you see girls pulling back their eyes and taping them, i get that not everyone would be offended by it but from the experiences i’ve had it most definitely offends me. gladly i’m much more comfortable with who i am now and i’m proud of my background, i don’t need white validation anymore. interestingly i had dated a white boy for the first time last year, the male attention i was used to was from poc only. i realised it’s definitely different in the way that they won’t understand your struggles as a woc and that can sometimes be difficult, not that all male poc’s do but they’d definitely understand to an extent. of course this ended in him choosing a blonde, blue eyed white girl over me, definitely hurt me but was expected. i’m lucky that i’m now confident in who i am that this sort of thing doesn’t affect me as much as it could.

i’ve definitely waffled a bit with this response haha but this is the first time i’ve spoken about this or even thought about it properly

i’m going to uni next year, on a gap year currently, got a place at uni of bristol. slightly worried that there’ll be a lack of poc’s. i’m wanting to get to know more british born east asians since i’ve never been friends with one before but i really doubt that’ll happen with my choice of uni.

how about you?? sorry for the extensive essay 😭😭
Reply 10
Original post by bigfat
british born chinese here too. in primary school i was one of the only east asians, there were probably about 4 others but i was the only one in my year group. i got a lot of questions, almost harassment i’d say from a group of white boys in one of the years above nearly everyday asking me what my name is and where i’m from etc. id tell them one day and they’d keep on approaching me the next day. probably the start of where i wished i was white and “normal”, my friendship group was white with me as the exception. my high school was quite diverse in the way that it was like 50% white and 50% poc. again there were a small few of east asians in other year groups but i was only one of 2 in my own. id still get asked questions about where i was “actually” from although a lot of people would think i was only half asian and was half white which sadly gave me a lot of validation. the only people that would ask me so many questions about my background were white and i think this is where my almost prejudice for white people came from, my friendship group was all poc and they had shared the same experiences as me and had the same views on white people as me. at sixth form a few more east asians had joined the year group which made me feel more comfortable, none were girls though and i hadn’t talked to any of them since they weren’t in my classes, i wasn’t the most outgoing person. by this time being east asian was almost praised, kpop, kdramas and anime had become a thing and the questions about where i was from had stopped. this topic really interests me because i find it so weird how a few years ago i’d get people pulling their eyes in my face and now suddenly everyone wishes they were asian, like on tiktok you see girls pulling back their eyes and taping them, i get that not everyone would be offended by it but from the experiences i’ve had it most definitely offends me. gladly i’m much more comfortable with who i am now and i’m proud of my background, i don’t need white validation anymore. interestingly i had dated a white boy for the first time last year, the male attention i was used to was from poc only. i realised it’s definitely different in the way that they won’t understand your struggles as a woc and that can sometimes be difficult, not that all male poc’s do but they’d definitely understand to an extent. of course this ended in him choosing a blonde, blue eyed white girl over me, definitely hurt me but was expected. i’m lucky that i’m now confident in who i am that this sort of thing doesn’t affect me as much as it could.

i’ve definitely waffled a bit with this response haha but this is the first time i’ve spoken about this or even thought about it properly

i’m going to uni next year, on a gap year currently, got a place at uni of bristol. slightly worried that there’ll be a lack of poc’s. i’m wanting to get to know more british born east asians since i’ve never been friends with one before but i really doubt that’ll happen with my choice of uni.

how about you?? sorry for the extensive essay 😭😭

first of all dont be sorry for writing a whole essay cause it’s great that u can talk about ur experiences which is actually very similar to mine😭 and LITERALLY OMG IVE ALSO GOT A PLACE AT UNI OF BRISTOL 😳 I’ll be starting in September 2022 hopefully, I’m currently at my second year of college, so maybe we’ll see each other 😳?!?? I was hoping there would be a lot more diverse people there since it’s a big uni and Bristol actually has a lot of Chinese people
Reply 11
first of all dont be sorry for writing a whole essay cause it’s great that u can talk about ur experiences which is actually very similar to mine😭 and LITERALLY OMG IVE ALSO GOT A PLACE AT UNI OF BRISTOL 😳 I’ll be starting in September 2022 hopefully, I’m currently at my second year of college, so maybe we’ll see each other 😳?!?? I was hoping there would be a lot more diverse people there since it’s a big uni and Bristol actually has a lot of Chinese people

omg no way what are you studying?? everyone ive spoken to about the diversity at bristol says something different, but i wouldn't say bristol is one of the uni's that international students would have as their first choice? i wouldn't know about british born's though im just guessing lols ive never actually been to bristol before to see for myself
Reply 12
Original post by bigfat
omg no way what are you studying?? everyone ive spoken to about the diversity at bristol says something different, but i wouldn't say bristol is one of the uni's that international students would have as their first choice? i wouldn't know about british born's though im just guessing lols ive never actually been to bristol before to see for myself

I’m studying childhood studies w study abroad!! and really? I would’ve thought Bristol would be quite diverse as it’s a Russell group plus there are a lot of Chinese owned stores in Bristol I think it’s pretty diverse from what I experienced
Reply 13

In Yr11,

I am Filipino but I was born here. Usually, it involved a lot of Asian ‘jokes’ and jolly lighthearted racism, but it stopped when people (including Asians and me)finally realised that it was actually really bad to say those kind of Asian ‘jokes’ - which was like 2019/2020.
Besides that, they have been positive in the sense that I could still relate to my culture (since I was in touch with a lot of Filipino family friends) and different Asian cultures (mostly on media). Plan on going to sixth form.

I want to divert from the Asian stereotypes a lot, but i hope that doesn’t make me subconsciously disingenuous with the subjects I choose. Right now I don’t think so, but hopefully I don’t regret it.
Reply 14
I’m studying childhood studies w study abroad!! and really? I would’ve thought Bristol would be quite diverse as it’s a Russell group plus there are a lot of Chinese owned stores in Bristol I think it’s pretty diverse from what I experienced

ah i think it could depend on what city you lived in before i guess. im from leeds so i feel bristol will be a step down for me since leeds is one of the best uk cities in terms of culture and diversity etc in general not only university wise. i know i'd have no issue with finding other east asians if i went to leeds uni. when i applied for bristol last year i had gotten a contextual offer for doing this thing that was for poc only. we were split into groups and i was the only east asian in my group. childhood studies sounds cool!! im also doing the study abroad!
Original post by phuran
In Yr11,

I am Filipino but I was born here. Usually, it involved a lot of Asian ‘jokes’ and jolly lighthearted racism, but it stopped when people (including Asians and me)finally realised that it was actually really bad to say those kind of Asian ‘jokes’ - which was like 2019/2020.
Besides that, they have been positive in the sense that I could still relate to my culture (since I was in touch with a lot of Filipino family friends) and different Asian cultures (mostly on media). Plan on going to sixth form.

I want to divert from the Asian stereotypes a lot, but i hope that doesn’t make me subconsciously disingenuous with the subjects I choose. Right now I don’t think so, but hopefully I don’t regret it.

ayyeee, also a year 11 filipino. the jokes part was really true, especially before the last few years of secondary with the questions of “are you chinese? or are you japanese? what are you then?” or the “pig face” some kids used to do. really wish i was more in touch with the culture though, since we only visit the philippines every few years and even then, i speak to relatives in english because they always point out my accent and lack of fluency when speaking tagalog and it feels juuust a bit embarrassing lmao.
(ended up kinda picking subjects that could be counted as stereotypes tho - an art kid who ended up picking a route that’s kinda linked to nursing 💀)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jaesix
ayyeee, also a year 11 filipino. the jokes part was really true, especially before the last few years of secondary with the questions of “are you chinese? or are you japanese? what are you then?” or the “pig face” some kids used to do. really wish i was more in touch with the culture though, since we only visit the philippines every few years and even then, i speak to relatives in english because they always point out my accent and lack of fluency when speaking tagalog and it feels juuust a bit embarrassing lmao.
(ended up kinda picking subjects that could be counted as stereotypes tho - an art kid who ended up picking a route that’s kinda linked to nursing 💀)

help ive also had my fair share of the "are you chinese" even tho im kazakh
Reply 17
heyy, I'm so glad I found this thread bc I really wanna make more asian friends :smile: I'm also british born chinese and had a similar experience of being the only east asian person in my primary school. I think I got luckier bc my high school was quite diverse as is my college but I still haven't made many east asian friends :] it's nice to talk and hear about other people's experiences bc growing up I didn't exactly felt like I fitted in bc of my ethnicity but I also feel quite disconnected from my culture bc I don't have many Chinese friends and my family are all back in china. as for school plans, I've firmed lse to do law starting sep 2022 so hopefully I get the grades :]

also if anyone has snap/insta lets add each other, I'd love to make a new friend !
Reply 18
Original post by the8thv

hi !! omg i just found ur reply im british born chinese going to bristol this year !! :3
Reply 19
hi guys I'm not even british born 💀 and I don't live in the UK but like I've heard a lot of my friends who are say that people r sometimes kinda mean to them. I mean I wouldn't know, but we asians have got to stick together don't we? Im so happy I found this thread!!

Quick Reply

Latest