The Student Room Group

OCR Salters F331 23/05/13 discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kreayshawn
thanks - I get it now

Another question I had is when you are drawing a dot and cross diagram with a double bond, do we draw them as

x
o
x
o

OR as

xo
ox

does that make sense?

Yep, I get what you mean.

You need to draw them so that they are aligned vertically.

eg.
tjMKESo.png
Reply 21
Original post by GurlLikeRosie_x
How are you guys revising for chemistry on thursday, reading storylines & then reading the book + pastpapers!

do you have any techiques?

What I tend to do is complete a past paper whilst using the mark scheme so I get 100%, then do the same paper a week later without the mark scheme.

I guess you just need to experiment with what works; better earlier than later...
Reply 22
Original post by amber109
how did you guys do on this exam before, if this is your retake?

I got a C.

I am a tad bitter as I was one mark from getting a B, not that it means anything.
Reply 23
Original post by Dude Ranch
anyone know what roughly you need to get 90 UMS on this paper? I have 77 but Im trying to get full marks as I find the A2 a bit harder.

PBh8V3a.png

Is this what you are asking for?

90 UMS is 100%, good luck.
Reply 24
it's annoying that you can't get 100 UMS for getting 100%
Reply 25
Original post by TheNote
it's annoying that you can't get 100 UMS for getting 100%

This exam is out of 90 UMS, 100% still gets you full UMS :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Resitting this, in yr 13. Everyone in year 12, please work hard now, you dont want the headache if resits.

As mentioned by others a2 coursework is so difficult and long and intensive. 52 pages handed in at Easter time :frown:

Anyway, here's hoping we all ace F331. the examiners are so pedantic:

adsorbed NOT adsorped

repel as far apart as possible NOT as much as possible

etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by 3raindrops
Resitting this, in yr 13. Everyone in year 12, please work hard now, you dont want the headache if resits.

As mentioned by others a2 coursework is so difficult and long and intensive. 52 pages handed in at Easter time :frown:

Anyway, here's hoping we all ace F331. the examiners are so pedantic:

adsorbed NOT adsorped

repel as far apart as possible NOT as much as possible

etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh lawwwd, I didn't realise how long the coursework was...

I guess the resits aren't helping you focus on A2. I just hope I don't under perform again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by DomGunstone
General discussion on F331 resit exam coming up this Thursday.

I am feeling fairly confident about it. I guess my weakness is the calculations...

how did you find it?
I had mine today too
Reply 29
Original post by Jooost
how did you find it?
I had mine today too

I think it went pretty well. I found the calculation rather easy and I usually don't.

How did you find it?
What did you find difficult?
Reply 30
I think it went pretty well. I found the calculation rather easy and I usually don't.

How did you find it?
What did you find difficult?

Oh that's great:smile:
I agree
I stupidly messed up the thermal solubility question D:
I had no idea what to put for the biofuels
And the one about the assumptions of specific heat capacity WHAT WAS THAT?!

otherwise it was okay
Reply 31
Original post by Jooost
Oh that's great:smile:
I agree
I stupidly messed up the thermal solubility question D:
I had no idea what to put for the biofuels
And the one about the assumptions of specific heat capacity WHAT WAS THAT?!

otherwise it was okay

The calculation was something like 50 * 4.18 * 5J

I don't think this is correct but I put:

Made the assumption that 5oC was equal to 5J

The specified heat capacity (of HCl) was equal to 4.18 (that of water)

I'm sure it wasn't too important as it was only 2 marks...
The calculation was something like 50 * 4.18 * 5J

I don't think this is correct but I put:

Made the assumption that 5oC was equal to 5J

The specified heat capacity (of HCl) was equal to 4.18 (that of water)

I'm sure it wasn't too important as it was only 2 marks...

I put:

Assumed that it had the same heat capacity of water (same as you)

Assumed that it had the same density as water (as 1cm3= 1g)

But I think you might get two marks :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by aspiring doctor!
I put:

Assumed that it had the same heat capacity of water (same as you)

Assumed that it had the same density as water (as 1cm3= 1g)

But I think you might get two marks :smile:

I think that should be worth some marks
what did you answer for the question on biofuels?
Reply 34
Oh lawwwd, I didn't realise how long the coursework was...

I guess the resits aren't helping you focus on A2. I just hope I don't under perform again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly! But now I have a clear week to put my head down and revise f334 and f335, so no excuses for me eh.

If anyone in yr 12 is reading this, my advice is get your coursework completed by january, february at latest. Do not drag it any longer than that, otherwise it will plague your days and nights, when you should be revising. It is so attractive to delay doing it, but so not worth it.
Reply 35
Exactly! But now I have a clear week to put my head down and revise f334 and f335, so no excuses for me eh.

If anyone in yr 12 is reading this, my advice is get your coursework completed by january, february at latest. Do not drag it any longer than that, otherwise it will plague your days and nights, when you should be revising. It is so attractive to delay doing it, but so not worth it.

I'll keep this in mind :smile:
Reply 36

what is the coursework exactly?
Like is it analysing data/graphs/essays etc?
im not entirely sure
Reply 37
I'll keep this in mind :smile:

Closer to the time, drop me a pm.

I done the kinetics one (most people do that or aspirin, but aspirin is a killer) if you decide to do kinetics, I have a bunch of files to help you.
Reply 38
Original post by Jooost
what is the coursework exactly?
Like is it analysing data/graphs/essays etc?
im not entirely sure

Lol I wish!

Basically you choose a topic, I chose kinetics of harcourt essen reaction.

You do research, with diagrams, what equations you need.

Then you devise the whole experiment yourself, including what concentrations you need, risk assessments, equipment.

You have to do a prelim and show how you changed your experiment based on that.

You carry out the experiment, its supposed to be something like 20hours of practical work, our college gave us 2 weeks of lesson time.

You draw up your results, and do a bunch of really difficult equations. Then draw graphs from the results, and explain your findings.

I honestly think I spent around 100hours on it, and thats no exaggeration. Every page needs thinking, its really intensive.

For my experiment, it was 3 parts, so I essentially had to do everything thrice (finding concentrations, method, equipment, graphs, manipulation of data etc) I changed the catalyst, changed the temperature and change the concentration of the reactants.

The one thing that was good about it:that feeling when you hand it in. More than 50 pages of hardwork :smile: hope I ace it
Reply 39
Lol I wish!

Basically you choose a topic, I chose kinetics of harcourt essen reaction.

You do research, with diagrams, what equations you need.

Then you devise the whole experiment yourself, including what concentrations you need, risk assessments, equipment.

You have to do a prelim and show how you changed your experiment based on that.

You carry out the experiment, its supposed to be something like 20hours of practical work, our college gave us 2 weeks of lesson time.

You draw up your results, and do a bunch of really difficult equations. Then draw graphs from the results, and explain your findings.

I honestly think I spent around 100hours on it, and thats no exaggeration. Every page needs thinking, its really intensive.

For my experiment, it was 3 parts, so I essentially had to do everything thrice (finding concentrations, method, equipment, graphs, manipulation of data etc) I changed the catalyst, changed the temperature and change the concentration of the reactants.

The one thing that was good about it:that feeling when you hand it in. More than 50 pages of hardwork :smile: hope I ace it

oh my goodness
how much is the coursework worth?
& what did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending