The Student Room Group

Is it possible to change sixth forms now (in year 12)?

I'm current in year 12 and would like to change sixth forms because my family is moving. It is too late or would it be okay if i move in January?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by worldisright
I'm current in year 12 and would like to change sixth forms because my family is moving. It is too late or would it be okay if i move in January?

It will be difficult but not necessarily impossible to find somewhere willing to take you.
They may not have space in your chosen subjects or may just be unwilling to take on the risks of a mid year transfer. You would find the very competitive / more selective schools less likely than a college with less strict entry requirements.
There are practical issues if they can't offer the same subjects or exam board/specification/options for your subjects. There could be issues with partially completed coursework, practical assessments or BTEC assignments depending on what you are studying. They may teach the content in a very different order. You may need to do a lot of catching up in your own time and they may be concerned that you would therefore be a burden to the teaching staff or not perform well.
It would be worth contacting potential schools before you move.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2

It wouldn't be impossible.

I moved sixth forms in January, but that was because I didn't like the one I was in. Your circumstances are a bit more serious, so I think they would take that into consideration. It isn't too late, but make sure you haven't missed out too much content.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
It will be difficult but not necessarily impossible to find somewhere willing to take you.
They may not have space in your chosen subjects or may just be unwilling to take on the risks of a mid year transfer. You would find the very competitive / more selective schools less likely than a college with less strict entry requirements.
There are practical issues if they can't offer the same subjects or exam board/specification/options for your subjects. There could be issues with partially completed coursework, practical assessments or BTEC assignments depending on what you are studying. They may teach the content in a very different order. You may need to do a lot of catching up in your own time and they may be concerned that you would therefore be a burden to the teaching staff or not perform well.
It would be worth contacting potential schools before you move.

okay thank you. I'm doing a levels and i found a school that has the same exam boards for biology and maths but chemistry is aqa and i'm doing ocr b salters at the moment.
Original post by zxvs
It wouldn't be impossible.

I moved sixth forms in January, but that was because I didn't like the one I was in. Your circumstances are a bit more serious, so I think they would take that into consideration. It isn't too late, but make sure you haven't missed out too much content.

I want make sure i don't miss out too much. was it okay for you when you moved in january?? did they have the same exam boards as your old college?
Reply 5
I want make sure i don't miss out too much. was it okay for you when you moved in january?? did they have the same exam boards as your old college?

It was okay in the end - didn't take too much work to transition.

I originally did:
Edexcel Mathematics
Edexcel Economics
AQA Physics
AQA Geography

I now take:
Edexcel Mathematics
AQA Economics
OCR Computer Science

Even though I did a new subject and different exam boards, I was fine.
It's always possible to do something but is it convenient? It depends how far you are from your current sixth form and how far you will need to travel. If it's an extra mile or 2 cycle, then I don't see why you should change, but if you're going from Cardiff to London, switch of course.
Original post by Guarddyyy
It's always possible to do something but is it convenient? It depends how far you are from your current sixth form and how far you will need to travel. If it's an extra mile or 2 cycle, then I don't see why you should change, but if you're going from Cardiff to London, switch of course.

I can't cycle. its an hour or two away from where i live at the moment.
I can't cycle. its an hour or two away from where i live at the moment.

Then consider taking the bus/train instead. You will have to catch up a months worth of work across 3 subjects. I can tell you from experience, catching up 2 weeks of content for 1 subject is hard enough.
Original post by zxvs
It was okay in the end - didn't take too much work to transition.

I originally did:
Edexcel Mathematics
Edexcel Economics
AQA Physics
AQA Geography

I now take:
Edexcel Mathematics
AQA Economics
OCR Computer Science

Even though I did a new subject and different exam boards, I was fine.

Oh okay. i'm currently doing aqa biology ocr b salters chemistry and edexcel maths.
the school i'm planning to move to has aqa biology and edexcel maths but aqa chemistry so won't be too bad even if i move in january then?
Reply 10

well I'm not moving house but I want to move sixth forms is it possible?
Original post by hd...

but i think you need to give a reason for moving sixth forms
Then consider taking the bus/train instead. You will have to catch up a months worth of work across 3 subjects. I can tell you from experience, catching up 2 weeks of content for 1 subject is hard enough.

what if two of my subjects have the same exam board?? only chemistry is different. i think the content is the same but there a few extra detail and terminolgy for aqa.
If 2 subjects have the same exam board, it will be easier to catch up (but still not easy). It might take you a long time to adapt sixth forms and if you don't feel comfortable, you will probably fall behind.
If 2 subjects have the same exam board, it will be easier to catch up (but still not easy). It might take you a long time to adapt sixth forms and if you don't feel comfortable, you will probably fall behind.

yh i guess but this sixth form seems to be better than the one i go to at the moment.
yh i guess but this sixth form seems to be better than the one i go to at the moment.

All I can advise you is, once you make the change, you can't go back. Make the decision you feel is the most right and do it fast.
Reply 16
Oh okay. i'm currently doing aqa biology ocr b salters chemistry and edexcel maths.
the school i'm planning to move to has aqa biology and edexcel maths but aqa chemistry so won't be too bad even if i move in january then?

Oh, defo. Plus the sciences content is really similar so you'll be fine for chemistry as well
Reply 17
Original post by hd...

It is indeed. You should talk to them as early as possible. Your chances are slimming every day!
All I can advise you is, once you make the change, you can't go back. Make the decision you feel is the most right and do it fast.

thnks
Reply 19
Original post by zxvs
It is indeed. You should talk to them as early as possible. Your chances are slimming every day!

Really?

Quick Reply

Latest