The Student Room Group

Wigan to be granted city status.

http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local-news/push-to-turn-town-into-the-city-of-wigan-1-5691438

Seriously? It's nothing like Liverpool whatsoever. In fact, Wigan is not even as good as St Helens, and that is considered a poor town. The shops in Wigan are struggling and half of the shopping center is closed down. I've even seen a tumble weed going through one of them.

It has a church but no cathedral. There are no majestic tall office buildings as far as I know, and although Wigan pier has a bit of an industrial estate going it is no different to your average industrial estate. Anyone who has been to Wigan pier by night or by day will know that it is not exactly bustling, except with cars passing through. Of course, we know they've come from St Helens and are probably on their way to a proper city (as a lot of Wiganers choose either to shop in St Helens or Manchester apparently).

People make a city and Wigan is no more filled with people than St Helens is, and I've witnessed St Helens being more filled with people than Wigan. There are few restaurants here; they don't even have a smoothie bar. What did Wigan get? A Greggs pie shop. People here eat peies like there is no tomorrow.

Wigan town is in decline and certainly does not befit the status of a city by any standard. This is how a city should look:

http://www.bized.co.uk/sites/bized/files/images/liverpool2.jpg

Not this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8468759996_41abd1755e_z.jpg

That is a town, a quaint town. It will not be a city anytime soon.
Well, the news story just says that there's a campaign for Wigan to get city status, not that it's actually going to get it. I've never visited Wigan, so I can't really judge for myself whether it should be a city, but it seems a bit odd that the campaign has been launched now when there was a more obvious opportunity for campaigning for city status only a year ago.
Reply 2
I don't really see why it matters. Are you going to lose any sleep because this place or another is now a city?
Reply 3
I don't know why Blackburn keeps getting over looked, it has a cathedral.
Reply 4

Why should it be?

No one is claiming it is like Liverpool, or should be like Liverpool. Liverpool was only used as an example of a city which has benefited from investment. It is therefore hoped that Wigan can be regenerated and grow with city status, and that its profile will rise.

Finally, it is bidding for city status, as a number of towns have done for years (including a quite a few for the Queen's Diamond and Golden Jubilee's. It may get city status, it may go to another place.

Durham? Oxford? Stirling? St David's? Newry? Perth?

Original post by wildrover
I don't know why Blackburn keeps getting over looked, it has a cathedral.

Because having a cathedral means little to nothing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
They grant a place like Wigan city status but not reading? Hell South Stoke will be the new capital next...
Reply 6
Does this have something to do with them just winning the FA cup?
Reply 7
Original post by Roger1
Does this have something to do with them just winning the FA cup?

No, I'm afraid winning a football trophy has no bearing on whether a place becomes a city or not.

There's really no news in this. Occasionally Towns and Metropolitan Boroughs are given the chance to bid for city status. Wigan has decided it will bid at the next opportunity and is trying to generate support just as other towns are. Nothing's been decided.
Reply 8
Original post by River85
No, I'm afraid winning a football trophy has no bearing on whether a place becomes a city or not.

There's really no news in this. Occasionally Towns and Metropolitan Boroughs are given the chance to bid for city status. Wigan has decided it will bid at the next opportunity and is trying to generate support just as other towns are. Nothing's been decided.

Lol I know. It was only a joke.:smile:
Original post by River85

Well, the success of my hometown (Middlesbrough)'s football club did seem to improve the town's image to some extent... I think it was the football club reaching the UEFA Cup final in 2006 that led to a Middlesbrough-themed Monopoly game being made. :biggrin: Although I'm not sure if it would have helped us to win city status. Sadly, by the time the town did bid for city status in 2012, the football club were (and still are) in the Championship and, financially, didn't (and still don't) have a pot to piss in. :sad:
Original post by Martyn*
http://www.wigantoday.net/news/local-news/push-to-turn-town-into-the-city-of-wigan-1-5691438

Seriously? It's nothing like Liverpool whatsoever. In fact, Wigan is not even as good as St Helens, and that is considered a poor town. The shops in Wigan are struggling and half of the shopping center is closed down. I've even seen a tumble weed going through one of them.

It has a church but no cathedral. There are no majestic tall office buildings as far as I know, and although Wigan pier has a bit of an industrial estate going it is no different to your average industrial estate. Anyone who has been to Wigan pier by night or by day will know that it is not exactly bustling, except with cars passing through. Of course, we know they've come from St Helens and are probably on their way to a proper city (as a lot of Wiganers choose either to shop in St Helens or Manchester apparently).

People make a city and Wigan is no more filled with people than St Helens is, and I've witnessed St Helens being more filled with people than Wigan. There are few restaurants here; they don't even have a smoothie bar. What did Wigan get? A Greggs pie shop. People here eat peies like there is no tomorrow.

Wigan town is in decline and certainly does not befit the status of a city by any standard. This is how a city should look:

http://www.bized.co.uk/sites/bized/files/images/liverpool2.jpg

Not this:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8468759996_41abd1755e_z.jpg

One does not simply, underestimate the trade benefits of a good pie.
Reply 11
Smoothie bar? I'd rather Rod's fish and chips.
Reply 12
They've got the 4 cameras on one post thing going on, surely that counts for something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending