The Student Room Group

Official AQA AS Chemistry Unit 1 - 23Rd May 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paulineuh
But I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong), the question stated, "in terms of intermolecular forces"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, well that makes sense then :smile:
Reply 981
can somebody kindly give me a link to the unit 1 23rd june 2013 edexcel as chemistry thread
Reply 982
Grade boundary predictions anyone? Will 54/55 be an A? :'( this was such a bad exam, for people who did it in January... Do you think it was worse?
Reply 983
Original post by mynameisntbobk
For the first part, both OH groups are attached to the end carbon.. what class does that make it? (The carbon is also bonded to 1 C and 2 Hs)

Second part, you want a ragent that will convert OH(alcohol) to =O(aldehyde) to COOH(carboxylic acid). One I'd go for is either acidified potassium dichromate or acidified potasium manganate

Final part, treat [O] as an oxygen molecule..
CH2(OH)CH2CH2CH2(OH) + 2[O] -> HOOCCH2CH2COOH

Thank you, that makes sense now. So it would be primary class, because only attached to one carbon right? Thank you :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 984
Original post by Rooroo96
Grade boundary predictions anyone? Will 54/55 be an A? :'( this was such a bad exam, for people who did it in January... Do you think it was worse?

I think it is generally going to be around that mark, 54-58 being around an A grade, just my opinion, I thought it was an easy paper, apart from the maths bit which was a bit tricky.
Reply 985
Can someone please help me?!?!?? :'( for ALL the calculations questions, I had the absolute correct method but for some stupid reason I can not comprehend right now, I used the proton number (30) instead of the mr (65.5) for zinc. So even though my method was correct, I just used the wrong mr, how many marks will I get? The problem is I did this mistake for all three qns, I used 30, will I get ECF??? Please someone help me, I feel like killing myself right now!!! Such a stupid mistake
Reply 986
Original post by Rooroo96

I thought January was far more straight forward. With the calculations, in Jan they were quite generic (standard textbook ones), whereas I felt you needed to apply your knowledge a lot more for the maths part of this one.
Reply 987
Original post by sophie phil
yeah, but in asthma, it is harder for the person to exhale and inhale during respiration therefore, carbon is toxic as it causes asthma

You might have got the mark if you said it triggers asthma (what causes asthma is a different story) or if you said it can lead to a lung condition. However, it's not technically toxic just because it can lead to these conditions, but I doubt the chemistry examiner will mind.

(and breathing is different from respiration)
DAM IT I WROTE THAT CARBON IS POISONOUS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote it causes global dimming. Will that get the mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AimHigh27
Thank you, that makes sense now. So it would be primary class, because only attached to one carbon right? Thank you :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yep :smile:

Original post by Thebest786
I wrote it causes global dimming. Will that get the mark?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it doesn't cause global warming, it contribuutes to it..
Cause or contribute. Mentioning global dimming, will that do it, as I've seen in some mark schemes global dimming is accepted.??
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 992
Original post by marksmith34
You might have got the mark if you said it triggers asthma (what causes asthma is a different story) or if you said it can lead to a lung condition. However, it's not technically toxic just because it can lead to these conditions, but I doubt the chemistry examiner will mind.

(and breathing is different from respiration)

Hi there, you seem to really know your chem! Do you remember a question that roughly went ' why is the second ionisation energy of carbon higher than the first?' Havent seen it ln the markscbeme, Was the answer just a simple response about the 2nd IE being removed from a positive ion and is more strongly attracted etc? Or did it have to be specific to carbon? I think I mentioned something about doubling up in an orbital, can't remember grrr . . Also how many marks do you think I could get on all the moles qns if I had absolute correct method but stupidly used 30 as the Ar of zinc ach time :'(
Original post by Thebest786
Cause or contribute. Mentioning global dimming, will that do it, as I've seen in some mark schemes global dimming is accepted.??
:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I said global dimming! Better be right.

- Tom
yep :smile:

it doesn't cause global warming, it contribuutes to it..

Global dimming's a different thing my friend :P

- Tom
Original post by The Lawful T.J
Global dimming's a different thing my friend :P

- Tom

did it say global dimming? oh right, sorry guys
It said what is the effect on the environment. So dimming is the answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
did it say global dimming? oh right, sorry guys

Aha :P

- Tom