The Student Room Group

Why do people love soldiers so much ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dennisraymondsmith
This is something i seriously want to know .
I find what happened to the soldier in woolwich sad but its like when you speak the truth or say anything bad about soldiers people start foaming at the mouth .

Also why are soldiers treated like heroes when those two murderers are treated exactly the opposite when soldiers are probably worse ?

British soldiers kill millions of innocent people yet what do we hear ?
Its their job.
Yes it may be their job but it doesn't make it right .

What these "Islamic terrorists" did like i said was sad but in all honestly if you keep killing millions of innocent people and ****ing up peoples countries just for their oil or resources this is bound to happen .
Is it time to start treating british soldiers as murderers like we should ?
I think so

I hope you are aware, most british soldiers have never had a confirmed kill, even less so civilians targets. However the taliban regularly kill civilians through the use of IED's. Im sure sometimes civilians are caught in the crossfire, but, its not the same thing as a random attack on a person in the street. Have you heard of an instance where a british soldier has approached a civilian and murdered them, and more, tried to remove limbs? (No).
Original post by SciFiRory
Nationalist propaganda and brainwashing, if people are convinced to blindly support "the troops" then they are less likely to object to the actions they carry out overseas. it's a form of population control, make people feral with patriotism and they will more often than not blindly support anything done or carried out in the name of the flag or national interest.

it's also worth noting that they do not defend us right now from anything, there is no threat to the UK mainland and hasn't been since World War 2, the army thesedays is solely used in wars of aggression on the UK's part in order to pursue the political and economic interests of the ruling elite within the UK or their allies like the U.S.A, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the people fighting there are not defending anyone in the UK, they are killing people for the strategic benefit of the U.S.A and NATO to have a foothold and puppet regime in the region, so they can be better prepared for more conflicts there in order to control more resources either directly or indirectly through puppet governments and multi nationals.

I think we can see from the murder in london, there is a threat from extremists, overseas we can shut down training camps for that stuff.
Reply 62
TBH if you want to joined the armed forces your a psychopath, whether you realise it or not is irrelevant
Reply 63
Original post by AeneasBK
TBH if you want to joined the armed forces your a psychopath, whether you realise it or not is irrelevant

If I want to join the Armed Force, my a psychopath?

What does that even mean?
Reply 64
Original post by Schleigg
If I want to join the Armed Force, my a psychopath?

What does that even mean?

Work it out. Gotta love these "moderators"
Reply 65
Work it out. Gotta love these "moderators"

I was a psychopath for wanting to be an Engineer Officer in the RAF?

No no. I think it's you who needs to explain the opinion. Seeing as it's bolleaux.
Reply 66
Original post by Drewski
I was a psychopath for wanting to be an Engineer Officer in the RAF?

No no. I think it's you who needs to explain the opinion. Seeing as it's bolleaux.

You weighed up the pros of being a soldier with the fact that at some point you could be told to murder someone, or in your case, assist with the murdering of people, and decided that the pros outweighed the murdering part. Sounds pretty psycho to me :smile:
Reply 67
Sort of agree with what you're saying.

If you compare WW2 veterans with Iraq, Faulklands or Vietnam verterans, there's a clear difference.

Profit wars don't include heroes really
Reply 68
Honest idea wrong expression.
Reply 69
If you're (note grammar as otherwise its clearly unintelligible) cool with that, that's fine, but don't try to sugar coat it. If you join the armed forces, you're accepting that you're happy to be a part of a war machine which murders hundreds of people each year. Don't be defensive and try to deny it. Realise it, and accept it :smile:
Reply 70
You weighed up the pros of being a soldier with the fact that at some point you could be told to murder someone, or in your case, assist with the murdering of people, and decided that the pros outweighed the murdering part. Sounds pretty psycho to me :smile:

1. I wasn't a solider. I was an airman.

2. "Psychopathy is a personality or mental disorder characterized partly by a) antisocial behavior, b) a diminished capacity for remorse, and c) poor behavioral controls."
I'd argue that at the very least, anyone affected by a) and c) would be entirely unsuited to a military life. Antisocial? All your work is undertaken in the company of a large group, you get very little time alone. Anyone antisocial would hate that and not be able to cope. Poor behavioral controls? Doesn't sound likely for someone following orders all the time, does it?

I'd say your definition of psychopath is pretty far off.
Reply 71
Original post by Drewski
1. I wasn't a solider. I was an airman.

2. "Psychopathy is a personality or mental disorder characterized partly by a) antisocial behavior, b) a diminished capacity for remorse, and c) poor behavioral controls."
I'd argue that at the very least, anyone affected by a) and c) would be entirely unsuited to a military life. Antisocial? All your work is undertaken in the company of a large group, you get very little time alone. Anyone antisocial would hate that and not be able to cope. Poor behavioral controls? Doesn't sound likely for someone following orders all the time, does it?

I'd say your definition of psychopath is pretty far off.

Maybe a) and c) aren't suited to military life but presumably ALL military personnel have b) carved on their hearts. As clearly being part of this murder party doesn't phase you in the slightest. Thank you for bringing in a definition of psychopath that perfectly illustrated my point.
Reply 72
As for "I'm not a soldier I'm an airman" if you build planes or maintain planes used for bombing, you're still part of the problem, even if your diminished capacity for remorse keeps this from your conscious mind...
If you help on the communications, you're still helping murders murder people. Stop trying to run from the truth :biggrin:

Catch you tomorrow folks :smile:
Reply 73
Maybe a) and c) aren't suited to military life but presumably ALL military personnel have b) carved on their hearts. As clearly being part of this murder party doesn't phase you in the slightest. Thank you for bringing in a definition of psychopath that perfectly illustrated my point.

I'd doubt that. Having thankfully never been near combat myself I wouldn't know the feelings associated with being there and having to take someone's life, but the fact that so many people suffer from some sort of PTSD is an indicator that no, a lack of remorse is not "carved on their hearts".
Nobody goes in wanting to kill. And those few bombastic people who do say such things quickly learn the truth.

You assume too much of a topic you clearly know too little about.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Steezy
Sort of agree with what you're saying.

If you compare WW2 veterans with Iraq, Faulklands or Vietnam verterans, there's a clear difference.

Profit wars don't include heroes really

I wouldn't count Falklands as a profit war, we were defending British land and British citizens from a foreign attacker. thats pretty much as justified as war gets.
As for "I'm not a soldier I'm an airman" if you build planes or maintain planes used for bombing, you're still part of the problem, even if your diminished capacity for remorse keeps this from your conscious mind...
If you help on the communications, you're still helping murders murder people. Stop trying to run from the truth :biggrin:

Really? So we're just supposed to sit on our arses, remain unprepared in case s*** kicks off? What are you, a deluded pacifist?

You pay tax which pays for the salary's of soldiers that do such acts, aswell is contributing to the bombs, planes, guns and the bullets, damn you are even the reason for the war starting! With your input into the increased demand for oil, what do you expect!
Reply 77
Original post by lucaf
I wouldn't count Falklands as a profit war, we were defending British land and British citizens from a foreign attacker. thats pretty much as justified as war gets.

Hmmm... A land thousands of miles away just off the coast of the attacking country...

Sheep = profit.... apparently
So many naive people here
Reply 79
Original post by Steezy
Hmmm... A land thousands of miles away just off the coast of the attacking country...

Sheep = profit.... apparently

British citizens on British land. Doesn't matter where that land is or how close it is to someone else. And as for 'just off the coast', Denmark is closer to us than the Falklands are to Argentina.

It was a war of aggression and we defended the islands. As lucaf says, as Just as a war gets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending