The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by mattmejevie
Hi, future medicine studier (hopefully) speaking here...

As for work experience I currently volunteer at a British Heart Foundation shop but other than that I haven't had a paid job...

Worse then you maybe.. i volunteered in a hospice and conducting a charity performance in my local area. No paid jobs, no volunteering in hospitals :frown:
Reply 181
I'm the worst as I have no work experience at all :smile: :smile: :smile:
but then again i am a bit of a flake when it comes to medicine so when i decide what i want to do i'll probably try harder to get some
Original post by JackTeh96
Worse then you maybe.. i volunteered in a hospice and conducting a charity performance in my local area. No paid jobs, no volunteering in hospitals :frown:

Nah I don't think so, volunteering in a hospice is more relevant to medicine than volunteering in a charity shop I think...
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Real doctors treat more than one species :colone: :wink:

"Jack of all trades, master of none" springs to mind (;
Hello there lovely people! I am a hopeful 2015 Medic myself :biggrin: I've recently started Year 13, but I'm taking a gap year :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I came here to ask the exact same question actually :tongue: ! 'Great minds', eh?

I doubt this thread could ever get as crazy as ours. I've yet to see them design their own clothing line :h:

I shall leave you medics now, but remember...

Spoiler

Agreed :biggrin:

Of course, LCTCV is a best seller brand! Cow crap jeans, yes please! :smile:

Further agreed :tongue:

Hi, future medicine studier (hopefully) speaking here...

As for work experience I currently volunteer at a British Heart Foundation shop but other than that I haven't had a paid job...

Hola! That sounds great! I haven't any paid jobs (except for lambing but that was seasonal and I wasn't expecting pay). I've done (this will be radically different to med) lambing, stable work, 18 months regular small animal vets, 2 years+ public farm, and about 2 weeks combined at a dairy farm and I've got a large animal hopefully booked for July :smile: I would like to do some shop work either a charity or a pet shop as they are really useful and great for communication skills!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hippokrates
They will probably not have any yet due to age restrictions but whne they come to applying they won't have a fraction of what you need for veterinary.

Age restrictions are a pain in the ass, same for vet med but I've luckily found some willing and lovely placements. I think vet med's WEx requirements are shockingly high compared to human med, but I suppose if you enjoy it then it isn't really a bother :wink:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CanineVet
Agreed :biggrin:

Of course, LCTCV is a best seller brand! Cow crap jeans, yes please! :smile:

Further agreed :tongue:

Hola! That sounds great! I haven't any paid jobs (except for lambing but that was seasonal and I wasn't expecting pay). I've done (this will be radically different to med) lambing, stable work, 18 months regular small animal vets, 2 years+ public farm, and about 2 weeks combined at a dairy farm and I've got a large animal hopefully booked for July :smile: I would like to do some shop work either a charity or a pet shop as they are really useful and great for communication skills!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest I think any work experience is good at the minute (paid or unpaid), as long as you have plenty of things to put on your CV. Of course if it's relevant it's better but I don't think it matters too much at this stage...

This summer I am going to try and find a job to keep me busy alongside learning how to play guitar xD
Reply 188
Original post by Matt_dragon
Hello there lovely people! I am a hopeful 2015 Medic myself :biggrin: I've recently started Year 13, but I'm taking a gap year :smile:

What unis are you aiming for?
What unis are you aiming for?

Cambridge, Imperial, Liverpool, Manchester/King's College London/UCL.
Haven't decided yet! There are so many to choose from.
How about you?
Reply 190
Original post by Matt_dragon
Cambridge, Imperial, Liverpool, Manchester/King's College London/UCL.
Haven't decided yet! There are so many to choose from.
How about you?

Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, haven't thought about UKCAT universities.. :smile:
Reply 191
Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, haven't thought about UKCAT universities.. :smile:

3 BMAT Unis a but risky isn't it??Do you get to find out your BMAT score before you apply are not?
ive got pharmacy work experience because i couldn't get hospital work experience, and was wondering would this be something i could mention on my ps?
Reply 193
Original post by BlueTac
3 BMAT Unis a but risky isn't it??Do you get to find out your BMAT score before you apply are not?

i know the risks and i haven't take BMAT yet. i am just thinking which uni suits me :smile:
To be honest I think any work experience is good at the minute (paid or unpaid), as long as you have plenty of things to put on your CV. Of course if it's relevant it's better but I don't think it matters too much at this stage...

This summer I am going to try and find a job to keep me busy alongside learning how to play guitar xD

Yeah of course, you're not very likely to get paid on any medical experience at all but it is the experience which is important. Am I right in saying you have to be 16 to be allowed to have patient interaction? It's not always as uptight with veterinary as I received clinical experience starting from 14. The two/one and a half years before starting is when it becomes more important so just now doesn't matter as much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know this wasn't directed at me but I'm applying for only one BMAT uni, the RVC, the rest I don't need to sit any exams for - woop!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 196
i know the risks and i haven't take BMAT yet. i am just thinking which uni suits me :smile:

oh right fair enough :smile: you interested in the opportunity for a Phd or just the extra year?
Original post by TattyBoJangles

Touché :hmmm: :tongue:
Original post by TattyBoJangles

That's how a paramedic introduced themselves to me once, I love paramedics :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by BlueTac
oh right fair enough :smile: you interested in the opportunity for a Phd or just the extra year?

Extra year :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending