Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health courses

Courses starting from 1 August 2018

What’s available

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a loan for your living costs from us.

If you have a disability, including a long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty, you might also be able to get extra help.

And if you have a child or an adult who depends on you financially, there are grants available to help with any extra costs you might have.

You may also be able to get extra help from the NHS through the Learning Support Fund


Nationality and residency

Your eligibility for student finance is affected by your nationality and residency status.


Your course must be in England and be one of the following:

  • nursing (adult, child, mental health, learning and disability)
  • midwifery
  • dietetics/nutrition
  • occupational therapy
  • orthoptics
  • orthotics prosthetics
  • physiotherapy
  • podiatry/chiropody
  • radiography (diagnostic and therapeutic)
  • speech and language therapy 
  • operating department practitioner

If you're starting a Dental Hygiene or Dental Therapy course from 1 August 2018 you'll also be eligible to get student finance from Student Finance England and may also be able to receive additional help from the Learning Support Fund

Previous study

You’ll be able to get full support if you already have a degree but you’re starting a full time, undergraduate pre-registration nursing, midwifery or Allied Health Professional course in England.

You must not be professionally registered within the profession you want to study. For example, if you’re professionally registered as a nurse and hold a nursing degree, you wouldn’t be able to get funding for a second pre-registration nursing degree.

Medicine and dentistry

If you’re studying an undergraduate medicine or dentistry course, you’ll get full funding from us for the first four years of your course. From your fifth year, you’ll be able to get a reduced-rate Maintenance Loan from us and a bursary from the NHS.