The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As someone who has been unsuccessful getting into medicine this year, and considering reapplying in the future, I have kept a close eye on changes to medicine admissions from this year onwards, and can confirm the following changes to A100 admissions for 2015 entry onwards. Please consult medical school websites for more detail.

Cambridge-standard offer raised fo A*A*A
UCL-standard offer raised to A*AA. The A* must either be in Biology or Chemistry
BSMS-applicants no longer scored and ranked on academic achievement and PS. Applicants required to sit the BMAT instead of the UKCAT. Applicants ranked on BMAT score and those with the highest BMAT scores are invited to interview
Leeds-Applicants required to sit the BMAT instead of the UKCAT.
Sheffield-Applicants will now be given an academic score in addition to a PS Score. The two are combined to decide who gets invited to interview. Panel interviews have been replaced with MMI's
Nottingham-SJT Questionnaire has been scrapped. The UKCAT SJT component will now be scored.
Edinburgh-All applicants will now be interviewed. This has not been officially published on their website, but a current medical student on the 'Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2014' page has confirmed this.
HYMS-Applicants will now be scored on their best 8 GCSE's, UKCAT score and UKCAT SJT band. PS no longer scored for any applicant. No UKCAT score guarantees an interview and the UKCAT will not be used post interview.

Not all medical schools have published their admissions policies so this list is likely to expand. As you can see more medical schools will score the UKCAT SJT band, and the PS has less influence. All medical schools now interview.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by msewell12
As someone who has been unsuccessful getting into medicine this year, and considering reapplying in the future, I have kept a close eye on changes to medicine admissions from this year onwards, and can confirm the following changes to A100 admissions for 2015 entry onwards. Please consult medical school websites for more detail.

UCL-standard offer raised to A*AA. The A* must either be in Biology or Chemistry
BSMS-applicants no longer scored and ranked on academic achievement and PS. Applicants required to sit the BMAT instead of the UKCAT. Applicants ranked on BMAT score and those with the highest BMAT scores are invited to interview
Sheffield-Applicants will now be given an academic score in addition to a PS Score. The two are combined to decide who gets invited to interview. Panel interviews have been replaced with MMI's
Nottingham-SJT Questionnaire has been scrapped. The UKCAT SJT component will now be scored.
Edinburgh-All applicants will now be interviewed. This has not been officially published on their website, but a current medical student on the 'Edinburgh Medical School Applicants 2014' page has confirmed this.
HYMS-Applicants will now be scored on their best 8 GCSE's, UKCAT score and UKCAT SJT band. PS no longer scored for any applicant. No UKCAT score guarantees an interview and the UKCAT will not be used post interview.

Not all medical schools have published their admissions policies so this list is likely to expand. As you can see more medical schools will score the UKCAT SJT band, and the PS has less influence. All medical schools now interview.

Any firm evidence that University of Edinburgh will interview candidates?
Does anyome know anyyhing about the UCLAN medical school? Is it apporved by the GMC? And can anyone please give some info about the school. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ekpenyongnsa
Does anyome know anyyhing about the UCLAN medical school? Is it apporved by the GMC? And can anyone please give some info about the school. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd just take a look at their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by msewell12

Kind of makes me upset but it is also motivating considering I have exams just around the corner. 2014 cycle was a fail for me too :frown:
Original post by letsbehonest
Kind of makes me upset but it is also motivating considering I have exams just around the corner. 2014 cycle was a fail for me too :frown:

High 5! Are you taking a gap year and reapplying then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I felt like my exams were okay but unfortunately I feel like chemistry was the worst which means that I might not get an A in it...it is still worth applying with aaab (b in chem)?
I might not even get aaab though :frown:
I'm planning that if I get any lower then aaab I will have to apply for biomed and do grad entry
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by letsbehonest

Is everyone here taking a gap year if application doesn't work out? Any other alternatives?
Original post by JackTeh96
Is everyone here taking a gap year if application doesn't work out? Any other alternatives?

Well my gap year starts September and I'm reapplying assuming I get the grades this summer. Reapplicants have a higher success rate I believe so seems worth a shot.
Other options include study something else totally unrelated or normally sciencey with the view to do graduate entry. But gem is like 60:1 applicants to place so even more competitive!
My next option after gap year is to study nursing or midwifery or possibly radiotherapy type stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em.d_4

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup!! Soo excited for my gap year ^_^

Yep, I'll be taking a gap year if I get the grades this summer :smile: If I don't get the grades, I would still take a gap year but apply to study optometry or chemistry ^_^

One of my friends didn't get into medical school, but she went to do a year of biomed at sussex uni, and then got a place at BSMS at the end of the year. I guess that is an alternative route but not one that I am willing to take (this route is way more competitive)
(edited 9 years ago)
for the reapplicant route- say if we dont get quite good enough as results, would this mean just resitting some modules during the summer of year 13- really getting your grades up for the 2016 entry cycle? and then applying in october 2015 and hopefully getting an unconditional offer at the end of things?

Would this put you at a disadvantage when applying baring (oxbridge) and doesnt that leave you with only like 2 months between getting your results and applying to do any other stuff for your application e.g. jobs as hca to enhance your application?

also is it worth doing the ukcat this year if you know that you wont have a chance when applying to medical schools? and the same goes for bmat, is there really any point in it when its itsnt going to be utilised ?
Any firm evidence that University of Edinburgh will interview candidates?

I chatted to a spokesperson from Edinburgh. He said that the gmc are wanting to start interviewing but the university doesn't want to. He said the definitely WONT be for 2015 entry but probably will for 2016 entry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My last week of exams next week :biggrin: :yay: :party:

then on Monday 16th I will book my UKCAT, my theory test and my (BMAT if i have to)
Original post by techno836

then on Monday 16th I will book my UKCAT, my theory test and my (BMAT if i have to)

Where are you planning to apply? :smile:
Original post by techno836

Posted from TSR Mobile

My exams end next week as well. Just 2 papers left. Im not sure when Im booking my UKCAT though.
Original post by tealover96
So I felt like my exams were okay but unfortunately I feel like chemistry was the worst which means that I might not get an A in it...it is still worth applying with aaab (b in chem)?
I might not even get aaab though :frown:
I'm planning that if I get any lower then aaab I will have to apply for biomed and do grad entry

I got AAAB at AS with B in chem and ended up with 2 offers so definitely still apply! You can always retake some modules in your A2 year to bump it up a bit :smile:
Are there still places available for ukcat? I booked mine on the second day and lots of times had already gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Are there still places available for ukcat? I booked mine on the second day and lots of times had already gone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend on where you actually book the test.
Original post by Tiam.N
I've done almost all my AS exams and have my Unit 2's for biology, chemistry and S1 to go. So far, I've been pleased with my exams and the way I've performed, however, I feel hugely let down by my Maths as I thought, personally, the C2 exam i truly flopped on. So realistically, my only chance of getting at least a B grade is to ace my S1 exam.

My psychology exams both went brilliant, hoping for an A in that, Biology unit 1 went good, not as amazing I had hoped for, but being as consistent in my unit 2 paper, i should be okay for that too. However, for chemistry, I'm extremely worried. I've got a mid C in my coursework, and a high B by the looks of it in my unit 1 exam due to making so many silly mistakes. Now i literally have to get a high A to get an A overall in chemistry, and considering I'm applying for medicine, i really need it. It's a must for me. I just needed some advice as to whether I should drop Maths this year and continue with Psychology or drop psychology and keep doing maths? I really enjoy maths, and i did really well in my C1 paper and hoping for just as good in S1, just C2 let me down as i thought the paper was extremely difficult.

Any advice would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

Wow, we had the exact same exams (AQA right?) I'm gonna drop psychology because maths opens up so many more doors especially if I don't get into med school. Also psychology is considered a soft a-level while maths is more respected. It's more useful as well if you decide to do a more scientific subject, go into finance - anything to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiee_
I got AAAB at AS with B in chem and ended up with 2 offers so definitely still apply! You can always retake some modules in your A2 year to bump it up a bit :smile:

Hey :smile:,
sorry to butt into this conversation, but where did you apply?
Congrats on the offers by the way.

My predicament is similar to yours, Just did my AS Levels, I do Bio, Chem, History, General Studies and Maths. Want to drop Maths next year. I felt like the Maths exam this year was disgusting, so I may get AAAAB this year, the B in Maths.

Latest

Trending

Trending