The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by ElizaDooalot
Is anyone here looking to do IB in September?

I am doing A levels :smile:
Original post by JackTeh96
I am doing A levels :smile:

Did you know you wanted to do it without consideration of any other options?

whats IB?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 383
Did you know you wanted to do it without consideration of any other options?

what do you mean?

International Bacc - you choose 6 subjects and sit exams at the end of 2 years. It's notably harder than A-levels because it also involves a lot of compulsory extracurriculars.

I'm doing A-levels, now going into 2nd and final year in September :smile:
Original post by Matt_dragon
International Bacc - you choose 6 subjects and sit exams at the end of 2 years. It's notably harder than A-levels because it also involves a lot of compulsory extracurriculars.

I'm doing A-levels, now going into 2nd and final year in September :smile:

is that just for international students? and kwl what subjects did you pick, im just going to start my Alevels in september :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimranXX
is that just for international students? and kwl what subjects did you pick, im just going to start my Alevels in september :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily, but it does benefit you if you want to study at a University abroad :smile: I have quite a few friends who had done IB and still headed off to a British Uni, however they didn't enjoy IB that much.

I'm doing A2 Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Polish and Physics :smile:

What subjects have you picked up?
Not necessarily, but it does benefit you if you want to study at a University abroad :smile: I have quite a few friends who had done IB and still headed off to a British Uni, however they didn't enjoy IB that much.

I'm doing A2 Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Polish and Physics :smile:

ohh ok iv never heard of it before dont think my sixth form offers it
Iv picked biology chemistry sociology and psychology and wow u did 6As'?!! you must be super smart how did you do that?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 388

I am
Whats everyones views on euthanasia?? As we are all aspiring to be doctors what would you do if,in the future, a critically ill patient asked you to help them die because they could no longer take the pain?
I know that its currently illegal but I think id want to help someone if they really wanted it.
Also does anyone know what I can do to actually help campaigns to make euthanasia legal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XXSimranXX
ohh ok iv never heard of it before dont think my sixth form offers it
Iv picked biology chemistry sociology and psychology and wow u did 6As'?!! you must be super smart how did you do that?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe, I just have a general interest in the subjects, and I wasn't happy about having to choose only 3-4. I self taught myself 2 subjects :smile:
How did you find your GCSE exams? Best of luck with your results!
Also just a friendly tip - DO NOT be disheartened if you don't get many A*s/all A*s and A. B's and a couple of C's in less relevant subjects are great too. What counts is your passion for medicine and perseverance to achieve your best :smile:
Hehe, I just have a general interest in the subjects, and I wasn't happy about having to choose only 3-4. I self taught myself 2 subjects :smile:
How did you find your GCSE exams? Best of luck with your results!
Also just a friendly tip - DO NOT be disheartened if you don't get many A*s/all A*s and A. B's and a couple of C's in less relevant subjects are great too. What counts is your passion for medicine and perseverance to achieve your best :smile:

wow i think self teaching an Alevel must be really diffucult you must be really passionate about the subjects thats really good. I wish you all the best with your Alevels :smile:
thanks i dont think ill be getting any A* tbh haha just As and Bs and thank you i guess that is the most important thing :smile: but ngl when i see people getting mostly A* i do kinda worry that im competing against the very best haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
DO NOT be disheartened if you don't get many A*s/all A*s and A. B's and a couple of C's in less relevant subjects are great too. What counts is your passion for medicine and perseverance to achieve your best :smile:

Qui! Qui!
How did you find the UKCAT? I've did a few practice tests and I just can't get my head around it. I prefer the BMAT but I don't want to go to most of the universities which do them. Also, do you think maths will aid your application?

Hiya,
I actually found it ok - I got a 785 average (VR 630, QR 880, AR 840 and DA 790), and then band 1 for situational judgement. I was doing awfully during practice haha - so don't let it put you of if you find yourself struggling during practice! The test is much better on the day. Much easier than practices.
I haven't taken/am not planning on taking the BMAT, as I don't want to apply to any BMAT universities! The UKCAT is pretty overwhelming at first but I spent about 3 weeks practicing for it and by the end was pretty comfortable with it :smile:
I'm not really sure, since pretty much everyone takes maths. I took maths mostly because I love the subject haha! But I do think a lot of universities actually like maths yeah, for problem solving skills etc!

:smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 394
Original post by qwertyuiopas
Also - I obviously haven't applied yet, but, I'm here if anyone has any questions about the UKCAT (which I took earlier this month), about A levels and subjects (I do biology chemistry maths and Latin if anyone has questions about those subjects,), about personal statement or anything else! :smile:

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to medical school for 2015 entry an was wondering of you could recommend any good UKCAT books to me? Thanks a million!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ani97
Hi, I'm thinking of applying to medical school for 2015 entry an was wondering of you could recommend any good UKCAT books to me? Thanks a million!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya, the only UKCAT book I used was the 600Q book - which was a lot more difficult than the test itself. I then used the official practice tests. I couldn't afford to subscribe to any Internet websites for revision but in my opinion this isn't necessary haha!

Don't worry about the UKCAT for this year, I revised for 3 weeks before my test. This is what the majority of people do. Sooooome choose to revise for 6 months or even longer and this is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary haha. Everyone who I've spoken to whose revised for an insane amount of time has got a lower score than me and others who revised for 3/4 weeks. Revising for that long a time just absolutely stresssssses you out!

Are you doing all of these subjects for A2? I've never met anyone who does 6. Especially those subjects.
Original post by LuckyMe
I am

How did you decide whether to do it over a levels? Or has it always been your main choice?
Reply 398
How did you decide whether to do it over a levels? Or has it always been your main choice?

Wasn't much of a choice for me as all my school offers is IB. Although I wish we also had the a-level option as well.
Why did you choose IB over a-levels though?
Reply 399
Original post by qwertyuiopas
Hiya, the only UKCAT book I used was the 600Q book - which was a lot more difficult than the test itself. I then used the official practice tests. I couldn't afford to subscribe to any Internet websites for revision but in my opinion this isn't necessary haha!

Don't worry about the UKCAT for this year, I revised for 3 weeks before my test. This is what the majority of people do. Sooooome choose to revise for 6 months or even longer and this is absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary haha. Everyone who I've spoken to whose revised for an insane amount of time has got a lower score than me and others who revised for 3/4 weeks. Revising for that long a time just absolutely stresssssses you out!

Thank you so much, I'm going to buy that book and best of luck for your uni applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending