The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by theboom
Hi

GCSE 6A* 3A's
As Levels AAAB (B in history 1 mark off an A)
Predicted A*AA. A*A*A and an A* in my epq
UKCAT 587.5 (Really Bad)
BMAT- Yet to do
Work experiance:
Radiography, Gp surgery, work in hospice, SJA for 5 years and loads more

I wanted to apply to Kings, St georges, keele and Ucl

But my UKcat is really bad, how likely is it that i will get any offer from any of these places?

Also im looking to apply to kings extended medicine course does anyone know more about this?

Have a look at Bristol. St George's should be fine if you've got above 500 in each sub test. I'd advise taking the BMAT as well and applying to some BMAT unis
Original post by ae134258
Kings didn't actually give me any feedback post interview, but they were drilling me with some really academic stuff based on my personal statement and in the atmosphere I crumbled a little and ended up waffling some bs. At Exeter I didn't demonstrate appropriate teamwork skills, cos I tried to incorporate leadership into my answer to score extra brownie points and ended up not coming across as a team player

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah, academic stuff? Like what..? :eek:
Original post by JennaK
Woah, academic stuff? Like what..? :eek:

They brought up stuff from my personal statement. What diseases I saw, what they did in the body, which systems they affected etc. it was pretty brutal haha, completely not what I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, query about liverpool
On the guidelines bit it says 'Applications from candidates resitting advance level examinations may be considered if the applicant otherwise meets the GSCE criteria (as above). Applicants must acknowledge and reflect on their need to resit in the personal statement.'
So does that include As exams? :s-smilie:
GCSE: 10a* and 1a
as: AAAb in chem,bio,maths,german
predictions: a*a*a
ukcat:680 average

where should I apply?
Reply 3985
GCSE: 9A*'s and 2A's
AS: 4 As-UMS average=96.4%
UKCAT: VR=640, QR=840, AR=890, DA=840
BMAT: 5.4, 6.7, 4A
Applied to Cambridge, Imperial, King's and Exeter. Offers from Cambridge (A*AA including chemistry) and Imperial (AAAC)
A2: A*A*A*A*
If any one has any questions about any of the application process please feel free to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, congratulations! I only have one main question really; how did you prepare for the BMAT - books/courses/time etc. Thanks in advance :smile: :smile:
Reply 3986
Original post by Nerd44
GCSE: 10a* and 1a
as: AAAb in chem,bio,maths,german
predictions: a*a*a
ukcat:680 average

where should I apply?

Look at Lancaster-you have really good GCSE's. I'd also suggest Leicester, Sheffield, Hull-York. I think you'd preform well at the BMAT as well so have a look into that- this will also allow you to apply to Leeds and BSMS
They brought up stuff from my personal statement. What diseases I saw, what they did in the body, which systems they affected etc. it was pretty brutal haha, completely not what I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, that is BRUTAL. Gotta remember key info about my work experience. Didn't even think that would come up since it's already kinda in the PS. I think the MMI interviews are much fairer as that's kinda random...
GCSEs- 12A*s 1A
AS Levels- AAAA Average UMS- 96%
UKCAT- 652

Where should I apply?
Original post by 2018
Look at Lancaster-you have really good GCSE's. I'd also suggest Leicester, Sheffield, Hull-York. I think you'd preform well at the BMAT as well so have a look into that- this will also allow you to apply to Leeds and BSMS

lancaster is pbl and i want to avoid pbl, just a quick question why is lancaster not on any of the rankings?
Original post by theboom
does applying to a extended medicine course ie its 6 years instead of 5 make you at a disadvantage in the future when applying to jobs and F1 posts?

With specific reference the the King's EMDP course, no, you end up with exactly the same degree. The only difference is that the first year of the 5 year course is split over 2 years (so you study for an extra year) and there is far greater guidance and support; this was my insurance choice!
Reply 3991
Original post by Purple_1234
GCSEs- 12A*s 1A
AS Levels- AAAA Average UMS- 96%
UKCAT- 652

Where should I apply?

Sit the BMAT! You stand a good chance at Oxbridge, imperial, UCL, also look at QUB, St George's and Leeds -great academics!
Please could someone tell me if these are good universities to apply to in my situation?

Gcses: 3A*s 8As and a B
AS: AABB in chem bio maths and geography but dropping geog
Ukcat: 2430
A2 I am predicted AAA
Relevant work experience

I am definitely applying to keele but what would be better bristol or liverpool?
Also realistically do I stand a chance?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 6A* 6A
AS:AAAA (Bio Chem Maths Psych)
A2 Predicted: A*A*A (Chem Psych Bio)
UKCAT: 650 Avg Band 1
Non Academic: 1 week work placement at GP surgery, 1 week in Hospital Ward, One day medical course, Bronze D of E, Football and Cricket teams.
Volunteering: Helping Elderly, Children Disability Centre and helping at a Primary School
Any Uni recommendations?
Original post by TheUnicorn62
Non Academic: 1 week work placement at GP surgery, 1 week in Hospital Ward, One day medical course, Bronze D of E, Football and Cricket teams.
Volunteering: Helping Elderly, Children Disability Centre and helping at a Primary School
Any Uni recommendations?

I'm also interested in the recommendations as I have almost identical stats to you- I'm applying to Leeds, Leicester, and not decided on others yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
GCSE: 3A* 5A 2B
AS level: AAAC
Predicted: A*A*A
Haven't done UKCAT yet but what sort of score should I be aiming for! Any response is welcomed :yep:
Original post by TheUnicorn62
Any Uni recommendations?

Liverpool really like the hospital / GP work experience from what I've heard, and both Liverpool and Leicester want evidence of some sort of caring volunteering, so based on work experience they might be worth looking in to.
Could anyone give me recommendations for my 5th choice. Would it be stupid to apply to Cambridge natural sciences? Also, what courses are ther (biomedical sciences sort of thing) with high entry requirements, ie AAA but preferably more? Most good unis seem to be AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
which medicine courses are largely lecture based? with tutorials, seminars etc?
Original post by ellipsis...
I'm also interested in the recommendations as I have almost identical stats to you- I'm applying to Leeds, Leicester, and not decided on others yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I was considering Leeds but feel BMAT Unis are risky, Leicester is an option, maybe Barts?

Latest

Trending

Trending