The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mollyh77
haha good to hear! I'm doing CCEA gcses and I think my maths'll be on Edexcel, but the rest is possibly CCEA so hopefully my chem's not as hard hahaha :P I HATE STATS TOO! because at least if you sort of know pure you can work it out but you need formulas and stuff for stats :/ Not fun. Also I doubt you were saying that about GCSEs when you were doing them! :wink:
haha, can't wait for it!

Hehe chem on wjec is ambiguous grrr but on track so thats good. Yep apart from science maths and welsh i moaned (a lot!) but like everything once you have experienced harder it seems like it was easy before. A level stats is less wordy and more formula driven with pure elements i say i hate it but in reality i am just in a bad mood. I hate the fact it is gorgeous here in the usually rainy wales and i am a cyclist and due to revision i cant go out. That and the fact my brother is cycling and my stupid (love him really) dad has just cut himself with a circular saw (good for those with medical curiosity) so my mumz with him and i cant put his stuff away to lock up arrrrrrrgh. Goof luck with the rest of your exams give it a year and it will seem.like fun ha least i have three months of summer (but it will rain it does everytime i finish exams). Curious CCEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by jsmben
Will I be able to go to ones during the year in general.

Yep but med departments not always open and the med specific ones can be great fun (prac tasks sim suits etc ) so i would reccomend those and less people there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JackTeh96
what about doing alevel maths in one year?? can that be an advantage??

Nope I did that and only one medical school counted it as part of my offer.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by jsmben
Will I be able to go to ones during the year in general.

Yeah, unis tend to hold open days in the summer and autumn for the next year's entry, but as the deadline for medicine applications is in October, medical schools generally concentrate more on the summer ones. I'm not sure I know what you mean by "during the year", but you can go to any open days listed on a uni's website as being for undergraduate applicants :smile:

There's a list on TSR if you need a hand finding out when they are: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/calendar.php?month=5&year=2013&calendarid=1&s=

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
in gsce I have
A*-italian
A*Chemistry
A* Biology
A*Physics
A Matha
A French
A extended essay

I.m predicted
A* RS
A Geography( might get a C)
A English lit (might get a c it was really difficult)
A english language
B- gsce further maths
A Art
b AS Science

i'm really upset about my english and geography , will it hinder my chances of getting into medicine with a B/c in geography and English literatue
Reply 45
Original post by jadpan
Hehe chem on wjec is ambiguous grrr but on track so thats good. Yep apart from science maths and welsh i moaned (a lot!) but like everything once you have experienced harder it seems like it was easy before. A level stats is less wordy and more formula driven with pure elements i say i hate it but in reality i am just in a bad mood. I hate the fact it is gorgeous here in the usually rainy wales and i am a cyclist and due to revision i cant go out. That and the fact my brother is cycling and my stupid (love him really) dad has just cut himself with a circular saw (good for those with medical curiosity) so my mumz with him and i cant put his stuff away to lock up arrrrrrrgh. Goof luck with the rest of your exams give it a year and it will seem.like fun ha least i have three months of summer (but it will rain it does everytime i finish exams). Curious CCEA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah goodgood! Well I don't like add maths stats so a level will be the death of me ): But i'll pull through! Well at least it's sunny, it's raining loads here :P Aah my dad does silly things like that too, yesterday he was working on his car and burnt his arm by taking off the radiator cap (I don't know what this means but apparently it was really stupid) Thanksss, I need to go back to revision but I'm being lazy again.. My exams don't finish until like the 24th which is 10 days later than everyone else, which sucks. Fingers crossed for a good summer tho!
CCEA is a northern irish exam board! It's the one I've got all my exams with. Not many others seem to do it though :P
Original post by Ingenting
Wow, this is early! I applied this year for the second time and now have an offer for Newcastle, and I too am happy to answer any questions you've got.

Good luck guys! :biggrin:

Well done on your offer! How did the gap year go? :smile:
Do you guys think that by 2015 the medical schools policies will change drastically? Is it true that Leeds have introduced the BMAT as part of their requirements?
Reply 48
Original post by mollyh77
Yeah goodgood! Well I don't like add maths stats so a level will be the death of me ): But i'll pull through! Well at least it's sunny, it's raining loads here :P Aah my dad does silly things like that too, yesterday he was working on his car and burnt his arm by taking off the radiator cap (I don't know what this means but apparently it was really stupid) Thanksss, I need to go back to revision but I'm being lazy again.. My exams don't finish until like the 24th which is 10 days later than everyone else, which sucks. Fingers crossed for a good summer tho!
CCEA is a northern irish exam board! It's the one I've got all my exams with. Not many others seem to do it though :P

Yep it is a kinda stupid thing to do (and please I beg you not to hope the weather stays good you can have the sunshine this is killing me!!!) I can't stand being sat down. I'm guessing by that you are in Ireland so you win the usually rainy prize if somewhere is wetter than Wales then yep.
Reply 49
Original post by Mallory
in gsce I have
A*-italian
A*Chemistry
A* Biology
A*Physics
A Matha
A French
A extended essay

I.m predicted
A* RS
A Geography( might get a C)
A English lit (might get a c it was really difficult)
A english language
B- gsce further maths
A Art
b AS Science

i'm really upset about my english and geography , will it hinder my chances of getting into medicine with a B/c in geography and English literatue

Depends completely on the Med school but most likely not. The best x GCSE's are taken usually including Science, Maths and English Language and to be honest i thought I had done awfully in English lit too but still scraped an A and I am not just saying that (I cried sad face). However you have a long time to research and if you are worried aplly tactically.
Reply 50
Original post by Hippokrates
Nope I did that and only one medical school counted it as part of my offer.

which school?? You did six modules in the As year, plus which subjects together?
Reply 51
Original post by Unknown505
Do you guys think that by 2015 the medical schools policies will change drastically? Is it true that Leeds have introduced the BMAT as part of their requirements?

I have no idea. I am also applying for med schools in 2015.. dono if the policy will change.... anyone?
which school?? You did six modules in the As year, plus which subjects together?

Yes alone with AS biology, chemistry and physics. I've carried on the sciences this year. Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle didn't count it. KCL did. So I had 3 AAA offers and Kings gave me an offer of AAC.
Reply 53
I have no idea. I am also applying for med schools in 2015.. dono if the policy will change.... anyone?

I am going to apply in that year also. I was hoping that grade requirements would drop but if they stay where they are then that's cool. :smile:
Reply 54
Yes alone with AS biology, chemistry and physics. I've carried on the sciences this year. Nottingham, Manchester and Newcastle didn't count it. KCL did. So I had 3 AAA offers and Kings gave me an offer of AAC.

What about BMAT universities like Cambridge/Imperial/UCL? which university did you firm??

Original post by jsmben
I am going to apply in that year also. I was hoping that grade requirements would drop but if they stay where they are then that's cool. :smile:

Grade is not the most important one, i think, as so many students got the same grades.... they tend to focus more on UKCAT and BMAT which sucks. :frown:
Reply 55
i am i year 11 and want to study Medicine as well my predicted grades are:
English: B
English Lit: B
Math: B
sci: B
History: A
Ict ocr CORE: A
French: C
Health and social care: B
Rsi: B
what grades are needed for A level to study medicine??
What about BMAT universities like Cambridge/Imperial/UCL? which university did you firm??

Grade is not the most important one, i think, as so many students got the same grades.... they tend to focus more on UKCAT and BMAT which sucks. :frown:

I know Cambridge won't count it because my friend applied for Natural Sciences and they wouldn't count their A*. I don't know about the others but I advise you to apply to only 1 BMAT uni. I firmed Nottingham :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by Muni :D
i am i year 11 and want to study Medicine as well my predicted grades are:
English: B
English Lit: B
Math: B
sci: B
History: A
Ict ocr CORE: A
French: C
Health and social care: B
Rsi: B
what grades are needed for A level to study medicine??

AAA/A*AA as far as offers are concerned
Reply 58
Original post by jadpan
AAA/A*AA as far as offers are concerned

what subjects are they most likely looking for??
Reply 59
I know Cambridge won't count it because my friend applied for Natural Sciences and they wouldn't count their A*. I don't know about the others but I advise you to apply to only 1 BMAT uni. I firmed Nottingham :smile:

that really hurts my heart!! if they don't count the A*, what offer did Cambridge give? (A typical offer is A*AA, right? if i am not wrong). I thought having a full Math Alevel qualification before applying would give me an advantage. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending