The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eleanorgracee
Hi guys, anyone got interviews from Sheffield Aberdeen Nottingham or Bristol yet? havent heard anything except from an email from Bristol saying they're still looking at my application, worrying about my stats :/

Sheffield have said they are aiming to reply in late December or January, they have a Twitter called shefmedschool and if you follow them they tweet about the admissions process

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
My only UKCAT uni was sheffield, and they never change their cut off so I already knew I had met it before applying hence why I did so.

With non UKCAT universities it is all just a waiting game really as they have so many applicants to choose between. Have you heard from any yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only liverpool
Hi guys, anyone got interviews from Sheffield Aberdeen Nottingham or Bristol yet? havent heard anything except from an email from Bristol saying they're still looking at my application, worrying about my stats :/

My friend has an interview at Aberdeen
Original post by JMJ_1996
Only liverpool

That's really good I haven't heard from them yet.

I'm on route to CARDIFF right now and my interview is tomorrow!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone applied for BIOMed at OXFORD?? And what bmat scores did u get??? Im.soooo.worried after my low bmat :frown:((
do interviews ever get postponed due to weather conditions?
Original post by blissfully
do interviews ever get postponed due to weather conditions?

Interviews tend to be conducted indoors.
Original post by WeirdF

Omg hahaha
Original post by WeirdF

Hahahaha, but what i think s/he means to say is if its snowing heavily or raining cows then would the interview be put off because u wont be able to get to the interview etc, especially in the case of raining cows....
Original post by WeirdF

obviously that isn't what I meant...

I meant, for exmaple heavy snow leading to public transport not being available
obviously that isn't what I meant...

I meant, for exmaple heavy snow leading to public transport not being available

This happened last year,they did interviews for whoever got there on the day and offered an alternate date for those who couldn't.
Original post by chertyyy
I believe so I contacted them because I made a slight mistake in my UCAS application.

Ok thanks ill try it
Did you receive a choice of ethical scenarios before your interview? I have an interview at Exeter next week and have not received anything, should I have done??
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Does anyone know what official guidelines would be if a medical student suspects a member of staff they are shadowing at the hospital is not doing their job properly? I.e. turning up hungover, distracted etc.

I would say seek senior advice back at the medical school? But I'm not sure whether it's appropriate to talk to the member of staff first or not…probably not if they are a senior consultant but possibly more feasible if they're an FY1?!

Did you receive a choice of ethical scenarios before your interview? I have an interview at Exeter next week and have not received anything, should I have done??

I have an interview at Aberdeen next Tuesday. I'm a graduate applicant with a 2:1 prediction and a UKCAT of 692.5
Original post by merry123456

Assuming Exeter will continue with the "choose from 3 ethical scenarios" interview approach, you will be given the choice ~30 minutes before the interview.
Original post by merry123456

No not at all don't worry!! I'm just preparing for various ethical scenarios :smile:
would it be bad to say that you're interested in a more specific area of medicine i.e. surgery because you feel it saves more lives or the patients are usually in more of a critical state than other areas of medicine such as orthopaedics?
Original post by Natalierm2707
That's really good I haven't heard from them yet.

I'm on route to CARDIFF right now and my interview is tomorrow!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow that is exciting!
would it be bad to say that you're interested in a more specific area of medicine i.e. surgery because you feel it saves more lives or the patients are usually in more of a critical state than other areas of medicine such as orthopaedics?

Haven't even been to any interviews yet so I'm not an authority but I'd say that's good to show an interest in one area specifically, after all medicine is a huge field.

I would word it a bit differently though, rather than saying you want to work in xyz because the patient is more seriously ill I'd go along the lines of 'I thrive under pressure and feel that I would cope well in e.g. trauma surgery because it requires quick thinking and makes a clear and immediate difference to the patient's life.'

I'd also avoid saying you want to work in e.g. surgery and not orthopaedics because surgery is more exciting,. You're kind of excluding a branch of medicine before you've started the course and by singling out orthopaedics it makes it seem like you're looking down on it, as if they're not life savers (which to be fair they generally aren't but as a hopeful emergency medic I'm prejudiced!). Just focus on why you want to do A, not why you don't want to do B.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending