The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
ah i see. i am aware that birmingham doesn't require UKCAT. does that make admissions more competitive? for local and international students?
Reply 981
Original post by alu97
ah i see. i am aware that birmingham doesn't require UKCAT. does that make admissions more competitive? for local and international students?

I dont know, I didnt apply there. But each school is competitve. However, if you did poorly on ukcat there are still unis open to you, like Birmigham and Liverpool.
Reply 982
Original post by alu97

Birmingham attracts people with high GCSEs, and 4 As at AS is a must have :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 983
Original post by alu97
oh wow your interview date was pretty early! do you know roughly the dates for when you hear back from the schools whether you're offered an interview or rejected?

how did the interview go? was it hard? was it MMI or those traditional interviews?

Response times vary depending on the uni. For King's, it took them 3 weeks to reply (though for one of these weeks their office was shut for the Christmas holidays). Cambridge interview mid December (Friday the 13th for me :s-smilie:) and I got a letter on Jan 6th by post. UCL take less than 2 weeks to respond. I can't really say anything for other unis, since I didn't apply anywhere else apart from QMUL, who should probably give a response within a couple of weeks of the interview too. The interview at King's wasn't hard, though it ended kinda awkwardly, which made me think I screwed it all up right at the end lol. It's a traditional interview, about 15 mins, with two interviewers.
Reply 984
To those that got their interviews, congrats. But can u reply with ur GCSE grades plz as im worried about mines. Id appreciate any feedback!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 985
Hello guys! Used to be part of this thread, not sure why I disappeared:eek:
How's everyone doing with work experience? Got a week done over Christmas, should have another this half term and hopefully a gp during the summer.
Am I the only one who is kinda freaked out by the UKCAT? The abstract reasoning looks quite hard, though I think it's only meant to be common sense. Everyone I talk to says is too early to worry about ukcat now and I should focus on my a levels. Also, do you guys think it's time to start drafting out our PS? Or is it too early?
Reply 986
Original post by MissC123
How's everyone doing with work experience? Got a week done over Christmas, should have another this half term and hopefully a gp during the summer.
Am I the only one who is kinda freaked out by the UKCAT? The abstract reasoning looks quite hard, though I think it's only meant to be common sense. Everyone I talk to says is too early to worry about ukcat now and I should focus on my a levels. Also, do you guys think it's time to start drafting out our PS? Or is it too early?

UKCAT is quite hard. Although if you do enough prep than even abstracts would be easy :P. The worst thing about ukcat is the time limit, you have literally no time to think over a question, you just need to answer straight away and then, if you have time left go back to it.
Ohh, and usually the online prep sheet are way harder thant he actual ukcat :P (at least in my case)
Reply 987
Original post by Aniaa
UKCAT is quite hard. Although if you do enough prep than even abstracts would be easy :P. The worst thing about ukcat is the time limit, you have literally no time to think over a question, you just need to answer straight away and then, if you have time left go back to it.
Ohh, and usually the online prep sheet are way harder thant he actual ukcat :P (at least in my case)

Thanks! Have you done the ukcat already? If so how long did you prepare for it?
Reply 988
Thanks! Have you done the ukcat already? If so how long did you prepare for it?

yeah I did it in the summer. I prepared the whole month for it, so a lot in my opinion
Reply 989

If you can master the techniques to answering the UKCAT, it becomes less difficult, though you still need to be wary of timing. For the VR section, it's all about scanning through the passage and finding key words as quickly as possible. For AR it's best to find practice questions and learn about different patterns that occur in the questions, and brush up on your mental maths skills for the QR section. Personally, I find DA the easiest, it's just coding which isn't as hard as it may initially appear. Since the situation judgement section counts for something this year [I think?], it'd be worth considering what it takes to practice medicine ethically, or to just be an ethical person in general [maybe the GMC website has some useful stuff on this]. It is a little early to worry about the UKCAT, maybe start thinking it about it more towards June when your AS exams are coming to an end, the same probably applies to drafting a PS.
Reply 990
Original post by oyyoyy
If you can master the techniques to answering the UKCAT, it becomes less difficult, though you still need to be wary of timing. For the VR section, it's all about scanning through the passage and finding key words as quickly as possible. For AR it's best to find practice questions and learn about different patterns that occur in the questions, and brush up on your mental maths skills for the QR section. Personally, I find DA the easiest, it's just coding which isn't as hard as it may initially appear. Since the situation judgement section counts for something this year [I think?], it'd be worth considering what it takes to practice medicine ethically, or to just be an ethical person in general [maybe the GMC website has some useful stuff on this]. It is a little early to worry about the UKCAT, maybe start thinking it about it more towards June when your AS exams are coming to an end, the same probably applies to drafting a PS.

DA was definitely the easiest one! Not only its easy in general, but you had more than enough time for it
Reply 991
Anyone going to the medicine day conference at the Royal Society of Medicine next Monday? Or have been in the past? :smile:
Reply 992
Original post by Hatayy
Anyone going to the medicine day conference at the Royal Society of Medicine next Monday? Or have been in the past? :smile:

I am going! Anyone? going>
Reply 993
Is it even possible to get into medicine with 1A* & 5As & the rest Bs from a poor performing school (2nd best in the year) but 4As at AS at a better college
(edited 10 years ago)
How much volunteering is actually necessary? Ive heard people saying that they didnt do very much and that the Uni's dont really care about quantity of volunteering/work experience, is this true?
Original post by Pennyarcade
How much volunteering is actually necessary? Ive heard people saying that they didnt do very much and that the Uni's dont really care about quantity of volunteering/work experience, is this true?

I think they care more about how you learn and can reflect on your experiences, and how you can show what you gained from them rather than what you did or for how long you did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 996

Not all but some care for long term volunteering as it demostrates committment, dedication and a different range of communication smills. It doesn't need to be in a medical setting I spent time at a Mencap social club once week which was a really enjoyable experience.

I think it's generally considered good to have a long term "volunteering"-type thing. eg, once a week at a care home. It's not a requirement, but it shows long-term commitment.
Which unis care about long term volunteering?
Also, is 9 months weekly volunteering long term enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, hows everyone finding a-levels? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending