The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oooooh, where are you thinking of applying then, hun? I'm trying to work out whether it's worth doing the BMAT or not tbh, the concept of doing three exams (Trinity needs the HPAT) is honestly killing me. Liverpool and Manchester also look lovely, though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Oooooh, where are you thinking of applying then, hun? I'm trying to work out whether it's worth doing the BMAT or not tbh, the concept of doing three exams (Trinity needs the HPAT) is honestly killing me. Liverpool and Manchester also look lovely, though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take it this was meant for me ??

I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and HYMS :-) i'm not a massive fan of the BMAT , but then i don't really like UKCAT at the minute either :rolleyes:
Reply 1182
Original post by techno836

I'm applying to Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester and HYMS :-) i'm not a massive fan of the BMAT , but then i don't really like UKCAT at the minute either :rolleyes:

once again I advise you to tak another look onto HYMS. They are so unorganised.
As for the entry exams, UKCAT is way easier than BMAT
Original post by Aniaa

yeah i know what you mean :s-smilie:

and i actually quite like the UKCAT really :smile: it's just verbal reasoning that gets boring and stupid rules in abstract! :frown:
Original post by Aniaa

I don't think we are in the position to say that about HYMS yet. I think we should allow the admissions cycle to finish and allow them to explain themselves.
It seems wrong to try and put off future applicants when we don't truly understand what's going on ourselves!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerd44
posting this for like the third time haha but which unis use your academics your ps your referance as well as your interview to give out offers rather than just using the interview ?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Aberdeen are all the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Plus Edinburgh don't interview and HYMS have given some offers without interview this year.
Reply 1186
Original post by PocketMerlin
No problem. :smile:

Stats:
UKCAT- 752.5
A-Levels (achieved): A*AAabc, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 3
GCSE: 9A*, 2A, plus distinction in Young Enterprise Level 2

Work Experience:
- 2 days on medical wards (mostly on stroke unit) in a hospital
- 2 days on surgical wards (focus on orthopaedics) in a hospital
- 1 week on mental health unit in a local care home
- 2 days in an SEN school
- 1 day in "life sciences" lab (carrying out PCR, ect)
- Currently work as a bank porter in my local hospital, frequently work in A&E and in X-Ray department, with clinical exposure throughout the hospital

Volunteering:
- 10 months (and ongoing) volunteering at a care home for the blind, helping blind/visually impaired people with craft club activities
- 7 months (and ongoing) volunteering at my local Food Bank, meeting and talking to clients
- 7 months volunteering at the cafe in a disability charity centre

Extra Curricular:
- Extended Project Qualification (Title: "Should Cannabis Be Legalised in the UK?")
- 2 years in Young Enterprise, 1 year as Marketing Director, 1 year as Managing Director, got through to county finals.
- 1 year as Students' Union Communications Officer at my sixth form college
- As part of Student's Union role, I was also the student rep at sixth form Equality and Diversity meetings
- Organised and ran as part of the Students' Union an Anthony Nolan Registration Event (with a charity named Alice's Escapes also)
- Prefect in secondary school

Those are some pretty darn solid credentials :eek:
Anyone fancy going to Pembroke College Science Open day with me on 17th April? (during term break)
Original post by oyyoyy
Those are some pretty darn solid credentials :eek:

Aww, thank you. :smile: I worked pretty hard for this, so hopefully in March I'll have something to show for all of this work.
Original post by techno836

Leeds require the BMAT for 2015 entry
Reply 1190
Original post by PocketMerlin
Aww, thank you. :smile: I worked pretty hard for this, so hopefully in March I'll have something to show for all of this work.

No worries, hopefully your hard work will pay off and you'll have offers to go to med school! :biggrin:
Reply 1191
Original post by ryanb97
Leeds require the BMAT for 2015 entry

gosh, so many unis require BMAT for 2015. Brighton too
Reply 1192
hi guys, been lurking for a while, but i've got a problem, i dont know which 4 to go for in october. Obv my UKCAT hasnt come out, and i havent done the BMAT, but so far, any thoughts?

GCSE- 10 A*, 3 A

A levels- Hist.,Chem.,Phys.,Bio.

Volunteering- 1 week Liverpool Royal- lectures
1 day endoscopy America- seeing procedures
1 day Family medicine US
Volunteering - month so far, so about 8 by application
3 day shadowing FY1
1 day shadowing consultant in Lower GI

Extra-Curricular- Badminton captain
rugby team
school council,
Gold D of E,
Air cadets (4 years)
co-founder/co-chair debating society,
Biology prefect,
City 100m hurdles champion etc

So where would my strengths lie? i'm thinking birmingham for the GCSE's, and UCL because of the contrasting 4th subject
Reply 1193
Original post by shashy
hi guys, been lurking for a while, but i've got a problem, i dont know which 4 to go for in october. Obv my UKCAT hasnt come out, and i havent done the BMAT, but so far, any thoughts?

GCSE- 10 A*, 3 A

1 day Family medicine US
3 day shadowing FY1

rugby team
school council,
Gold D of E,
Air cadets (4 years)
Biology prefect,

So where would my strengths lie? i'm thinking birmingham for the GCSE's, and UCL because of the contrasting 4th subject

Those two sound good :smile: You really can't choose until you've done the UKCAT. I would recommend looking at courses and seeing what sort of course you want, visiting open days and making a list of possibilities. Then when you do your UKCAT you can whittle down the list :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I got into the Manchester Access Programme into the Medicine strand which if you don't what it entails is basically a 6-8 month program in which there are compulsory and optional events I have to attend and I basically get points I finish the course when I get 100, it's usually 1 event per month no events near exam time thankfully most in summer, the events are basically like what university's like general stuff and then more specific medicine tailored events also we have to do a academic assignment (1500 word essay, medically related). What I get out of it, reduced A level grades from AAA to ABB (grade A being in Chemistry), £1000 cash in hand bursary on top of the £3000 I know I'm entitled to and if I'm the highest achieving student in the Medicine faculty I get a extra £5000 on top of everything else, not bad lol. THIS though I think is better than the money, we get to do the whole application process a earlier than everyone else and Personal Statement all that and then the admissions for medicine read it and tell you if you've got a place or not, if you don't then they'll tell you specifically what you can improve if all goes well I can go into Yr13 with a lot of weight of my shoulders of course I've still got to get the grades, but it's nice feeling when you know you've got the place especially when you see your mates sweating there balls in worry, I joke of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1195
Original post by shashy

GCSE- 10 A*, 3 A

1 day Family medicine US
3 day shadowing FY1

rugby team
school council,
Gold D of E,
Air cadets (4 years)
Biology prefect,

Birmingham as long as you've got A*s in maths, sciences, and 1 English and UCL is a good choice too. For rest, wait for UKCAT/ BMAT I guess
Reply 1196
Hi everyone! Is anybody else applying with slightly unusual academics?
Original post by la95
Hi everyone! Is anybody else applying with slightly unusual academics?

What do u mean by 'unusual academics'? Lol
Reply 1198
Original post by ghost_rebel
What do u mean by 'unusual academics'? Lol

When (if) I apply, I'll be applying with achieved A Levels and a completely new set of AS Levels, so anything like that. :tongue: It would also be comforting to hear about anybody applying with below average academics!
Another Med applicant from this year prepared to answer any questions. Applied to Imperial, Sheffield, Leeds and Barts so if anyone has questions about them specifically, or the monster that was the BMAT, fire away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending