The Student Room Group

Gauss's Law (electrostatics)

Use Gauss' law to determine the electric field around a solid conducting sphere of radius R carrying a charge Q.

So I've constructed a spherical Gaussian surface of radius r > R and centre at the centre of the sphere. The electric flux passing through the surface
ΦE=E.dA=4πr2E\displaystyle \Phi _{E} = \oint \mathbf{E}. \mathbf{dA} = 4 \pi r^{2} E
but ΦE=Qϵ0 \Phi _{E} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon {0}} by Gauss's Law
E=Q4πr2ϵ0 \Rightarrow E= \dfrac{Q}{4 \pi r^{2} \epsilon _{0}}

So what I've found (I think) is the electric field strength at an arbitrary distance r from the centre of the sphere (provided it is outside the sphere). But in the model solutions I have, the Gaussian surface has been constructed specifically at radius R, which is the radius of the sphere. Does that not mean that the field strength has only been found for the surface of a sphere of radius R (i.e. the general case as in the question hasn't been answered) or am I just being stupid?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Implication
So I've constructed a spherical Gaussian surface of radius r > R and centre at the centre of the sphere. The electric flux passing through the surface
ΦE=E.dA=4πr2E\displaystyle \Phi _{E} = \oint \mathbf{E}. \mathbf{dA} = 4 \pi r^{2} E
but ΦE=Qϵ0 \Phi _{E} = \frac{Q}{\epsilon {0}} by Gauss's Law
E=Q4πr2ϵ0 \Rightarrow E= \dfrac{Q}{4 \pi r^{2} \epsilon _{0}}

So what I've found (I think) is the electric field strength at an arbitrary distance r from the centre of the sphere (provided it is outside the sphere). But in the model solutions I have, the Gaussian surface has been constructed specifically at radius R, which is the radius of the sphere. Does that not mean that the field strength has only been found for the surface of a sphere of radius R (i.e. the general case as in the question hasn't been answered) or am I just being stupid?

Thanks

Their answer may just be using funny notation... your answer is (obviously) correct for the general case where r>R on the other hand you obtain a directly proportional relationship when r<R but they both give the same field strength at the surface (assuming it's an insulator - if it's a conductor then there is no field inside.
Reply 2
Original post by Implication

Thanks

Given that the field must be spherically symmetric in this case, then that is all you need i.e. you need an expression that depends on a single variable, rr, which measures distance from the centre of the sphere.

Quick Reply

Latest