The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone else unimpressed with the way that The Ordinary Boys seem to be ripping Madness completely? - I havent heard that much, so might be wrong, but what I have heard was just a low-rate poor copy of Madness....without the good hats. Frump.
Reply 21
Ladle
Anyone else unimpressed with the way that The Ordinary Boys seem to be ripping Madness completely? - I havent heard that much, so might be wrong, but what I have heard was just a low-rate poor copy of Madness....without the good hats. Frump.

Im not un-impressed at all, i like them. They do sound a little bit like Madness, and Sam Preston thinks he's the next Suggs :confused:

I quite like them, ive heard worse bands trying to rip off Madness, local bands, not ones that would ever get anywhere. :smile:
Reply 22
Hmm, I'd rather tune into the real thing myself. I wouldnt mind so much if they moved away from it now...obviously it was an easy way to get going, happy-go lucky ska, now if they made the sound their own..
Reply 23
eurgh the ordinary boys.
me no like.
Reply 24
Yeh, nothing better then the Real Madness, no one could ever replace them :frown:
Reply 25
Sheen
eurgh the ordinary boys.
me no like.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs..... :rolleyes:

:p:
Reply 26
A.ndrew
Yeah Yeah Yeahs..... :rolleyes:

:p:

for once i actaully didnt see that coming haha
SKA-P are an excellent Spanish band, singing political lyrics along to happy dancy ska music.
Reply 28
my favourite ska

The Skatalites <-- listen to their version of guns of navarone - musical genius
Rolando and Soul Brothers
Desmond Dekker
The Maytals
Roy Richards
Baba Brooks
Delroy Wilson
Gaylads
Rita Marley
Soul Brothers
Sir Lord Comic & Cowboys
The Rulers
Reply 29
Sheen
eurgh the ordinary boys.
me no like.

Quoted for truth, beauty and eloquence.
Reply 30
To the guy who said ska evolved from reggae, it was actually the other way round.
Reggae evolved from ska.
Reply 31
400 YEARS
To the guy who said ska evolved from reggae, it was actually the other way round.
Reggae evolved from ska.

:eek: since when. i thought ska came from reggae
Reply 32
since when it began?
check wikipedia or something
bbc has some good information about the ska/reggae/rocksteady/lovers rock etc but i dont have the url saved so google for it

ska was around as early as 1950s
Reply 33
Sheen
:eek: since when. i thought ska came from reggae

he/she's right. Ska was definitely around first.

Although the difference between early ska and reggae isn't exactly huge.
Reply 34
400 YEARS
Reggae evolved from ska.

i stand corrected
Reply 35
Reel Big Fish :cool:
Reply 36
Hey,
Thanks for all your posts, have had a listen to a few of your suggestions and have to say it wasn't what I was expecting, but did enjoy it on the whole :smile:
Amy
Reply 37
Co&Ca
Reel Big Fish :cool:

*sings* i love them
Reply 38
seeing as nobody has mentioned them, operation ivy were brilliant. sound system, unity, bad town...sooo many tunes. you can get their discography for about £5, definately worth it.
Reply 39
Op. Ivy:biggrin: - Energy is playign in my ears right now:smile:

They are brill.

Latest