The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4A A2 14th June 2013

Hey everyone!

This is for anyone taking the exam next Thursday to discuss revision techniques, predictons etc

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am dreading this paper I sat it the first time and got a C re sat worked solidly to get to an A completely messed up and got an E hopefully third time lucky!
Reply 2
lol i have like 6 hours to learn all of this due to exam timings
I can see data presentation or analysis techniques coming up, so something like how could you of analysed your fieldwork in a different way or something about different types of data presentation and how you used them/why you didn't use them. The one about data presentation is harder to get full marks in if it was set as a question.

For revising just learn your skills and advantages and disadvantages. Also know key parts of your fieldwork well, you can tell when someone is making up crap
Original post by Axion
lol i have like 6 hours to learn all of this due to exam timings

you don't have 6 hours, you have far more if you actually plan your revision properly, you should already be revising for it.
Reply 5
Original post by clareramos
you don't have 6 hours, you have far more if you actually plan your revision properly, you should already be revising for it.

Thank you for that. I think I'll decide when I should be revising for it and for how long.

6 hours it is
Reply 6
Original post by Axion
Thank you for that. I think I'll decide when I should be revising for it and for how long.

6 hours it is

Hahaha, teachers eh? :tongue: is this your first take of the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

:P

yep first take!
Reply 8
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh though, I know my fieldwork really well so it's kinda just learning all the stats and cartographic/graphical techniques etc
Original post by Axion

6 hours it is

You won't be able to learn all the skills well in 6 hours, unless you already know them fairly well. I saw that you learnt your fieldwork fairly well which will help. But 6 hours isn't enough for the exam, you'll still pass and could do well, but it will be harder.
Reply 10
You won't be able to learn all the skills well in 6 hours, unless you already know them fairly well. I saw that you learnt your fieldwork fairly well which will help. But 6 hours isn't enough for the exam, you'll still pass and could do well, but it will be harder.

ok, I'll let you know how I get on. My fieldwork is embedded in my knowledge, but as you say, it is the skills I don't know as well.

That said, there is a lot of bluffing that can be done for questions like advantages/disadvantages of certain cartographic techniques: visually understandable, some allows for points to be made location-specific etc.

Are you an exam marker yourself?
Original post by Axion
ok, I'll let you know how I get on. My fieldwork is embedded in my knowledge, but as you say, it is the skills I don't know as well.

That said, there is a lot of bluffing that can be done for questions like advantages/disadvantages of certain cartographic techniques: visually understandable, some allows for points to be made location-specific etc.

Are you an exam marker yourself?

I used to be chief of unit 4A, but now work cross-exam board on fieldwork and skills and lecture in them, also still do appeals marking for unit 2 and unit 4A.

Bluffing can be done, but for cartographic it is becoming harder, as more training of teachers and examiners has taken place specifically in cartographic skills and GIS.
Reply 12
I used to be chief of unit 4A, but now work cross-exam board on fieldwork and skills and lecture in them, also still do appeals marking for unit 2 and unit 4A.

Bluffing can be done, but for cartographic it is becoming harder, as more training of teachers and examiners has taken place specifically in cartographic skills and GIS.

thank you :smile:. I really enjoyed my fieldwork so find talking about it a piece of cake.

still need to polish off my chi squared and spearman's rank though. Difficult to find any resources that resemble the sort of questions that come up
Original post by Axion
thank you :smile:. I really enjoyed my fieldwork so find talking about it a piece of cake.

still need to polish off my chi squared and spearman's rank though. Difficult to find any resources that resemble the sort of questions that come up

for fieldwork if it is something that you really enjoyed doing then you'll remember so easily, and it will come across in the exam.

Best thing for those is to do past papers, or just do them in general.
Reply 14
for fieldwork if it is something that you really enjoyed doing then you'll remember so easily, and it will come across in the exam.

Best thing for those is to do past papers, or just do them in general.

Are there any Pre-2010 past 4A papers available? Or was in a new introduction?
Reply 15
Original post by ElChapo
Hey everyone!

This is for anyone taking the exam next Thursday to discuss revision techniques, predictons etc

isn't the 14th a friday?
Original post by Axion
Are there any Pre-2010 past 4A papers available? Or was in a new introduction?

they go off after 3 years if I remember correctly. Summer 2010 was first as specification came in in 2008.
Reply 17
Please tell me it isn't Thursday? The 14th is a Friday.
Reply 18
I'm doing this exam! Section B final questions looks like it would be cartographic (if I was a betting person) - we had graphical (kite graphs and radial diagrams i think in jan), Jun12 was stats and Jan 12 was cartographic.
Cartographic or stats then, doubt they'd repeat graphical again considering we had it in Jan.
The exam is also a Friday lol
Reply 19
Also, how is everyone preparing for this exam? I'm doing past papers, skills is always a little awkward to revise for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending