Emailed it to you guys enjoy :smile: x
Reply 61
Original post by IbrahimKingx
Sure PM me your email

Could you please pm me it too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know what came up for section B in Jan 2013? :redface:
Reply 63
Hey guys, I have the Jan 2013 past paper with me. It was really easy so I'm assuming tomorrow's will be solid :frown:

Section B was assessing strengths and weaknesses of the techniques presenting vegetation (kite diagrams & pie charts). Then you had to explain how techniques of presentation, other than kite diagrams & pie charts, used in geography show data effectively.

I'm predicting tomorrow's paper is going to be heavily based on the statistical tests, specifically chi squared, so brush up on your knowledge! You need to know when to use the tests, what they show, how to interpret the outcomes and how critical values are used. The good things and bad thing and why you think they're suitable, or not.

It's not going to be as bad as you think if you know your stuff, don't worry about it.
Good luck to ever tomorrow!
Reply 64
Original post by awkwardusername
I always revise for the skills exams in the same way, and I've so far managed an A in AS Skills and a B in A2 Skills.
I just write everything out in REALLY simple terms. For example, I'd write 3 two word bullet points on the location of my fieldwork, same with my aims etc, so I can remember them easily; I know I can stretch it all out properly in the exam.
For the actual skills part, I do the same. I write three bullet points on what's good and bad for each type of graph etc, and for the stats I simplify it as much as I can too, by writing things like "large standard deviation - numbers spread around the mean".

I know it seems simple but it's worked for me so far, and if anyone wants me to scan my notes etc, feel free to ask!

(Obviously my fieldwork might not be applicable for most people, but we did ours based on Bradshaw's Model, and how a river's variables change with distance from the source, so if you needed that too, you could adapt it? The risks etc are the same)

OMG!!!! i'm doing exactly the same investigation as you!!! Please may I have your notes? can you PM me them? or email me? :smile:
Reply 65
What data presentation techniques are you guys going to use if they come up? :smile:
Original post by Doberts95
What data presentation techniques are you guys going to use if they come up? :smile:

Most likely scatter graphs or triangular graphs, I find them most easy to interpret and explain :smile: How about you?
So at my school we're being forced to take this exam in our AS year and we've been 'taught' all the A2 skills in one loooonnng revision day, we were given some sheets.
Will someone please explain what is the usefulness of cartographic and logarithmic techniques?
I THINK I've PM'd everyone who asked for my notes but if I've missed you out, let me know ASAP!
Reply 69
Original post by HenryLinguistic
Most likely scatter graphs or triangular graphs, I find them most easy to interpret and explain :smile: How about you?

I'm thinking along the same lines as you, triangular graphs have a few good limitations to talk about too!
I THINK I've PM'd everyone who asked for my notes but if I've missed you out, let me know ASAP!

What are your notes on? :smile:
Original post by onlymesarah
What are your notes on? :smile:

It's the notes I've made for Skills as a whole, and the only thing I've used for revising it! I've got an A and a B using only those so far, so they seem to work! :wink:
I studied rivers and how they change downstream, so I've got my fieldwork notes on that, obviously mine will differ to everyone elses but if your fieldwork was similar, things could be adapted!
I've also got the good/bad features of each type of map/graph etc, and simplified the statistical tests a lot!
It's all in really simple terms, but like I've said, it works for me :smile:
It's the notes I've made for Skills as a whole, and the only thing I've used for revising it! I've got an A and a B using only those so far, so they seem to work! :wink:
I studied rivers and how they change downstream, so I've got my fieldwork notes on that, obviously mine will differ to everyone elses but if your fieldwork was similar, things could be adapted!
I've also got the good/bad features of each type of map/graph etc, and simplified the statistical tests a lot!

I'm feeling okay for the section A, my fieldwork stuff is all quite good, would it be possible for you to send me your notes on the maps and graphs I'd really appreciate it :smile:
Original post by onlymesarah
I'm feeling okay for the section A, my fieldwork stuff is all quite good, would it be possible for you to send me your notes on the maps and graphs I'd really appreciate it :smile:

Done :smile: Good luck!
Reply 74
I've PM'd you the notes :smile:
I know this sounds utterly ridiculous but loads of people I know who sat the exam over complicated it for you. The questions aren't there to trick you so don't look for double meanings!
Reading examiners reports might be useful too, but mainly, just look at the command word they use, and try and sort of buff out what you know, to make it look like you absolutely loved doing the investigation!
I HATED ours, there's nothing less interesting than measuring a river, but if you act like it was the best thing in the world, the examiner will see that and you'll get higher marks. Good luck!

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but could you possibly PM your notes too? Pretty please :colondollar:
Original post by lrud2013
Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but could you possibly PM your notes too? Pretty please :colondollar:

Sent :smile:
Done :smile: Good luck!

could you also send me them too? thanks xx:smile:
Reply 77
Hey for any of you doing rivers i did this question but i'm not sure how many marks i would get! its the first question from jan 13:

b) Explain why you choose this aim for your investigation? (8)
I choose this aim for my investigation as after studying the Bradshaw Model in class which states that discharge, occupied channel width, channel depth, average velocity etc all increase as you move downstream, I wanted to investigate whether the changes in the variables of occupied channel width and average velocity would increase as the river moved downstream for the River Noe, a tributary of the River Derwent which runs through Derbyshire. I choose this river to investigate as being situated only an hour’s drive from school it was ideal due to it being easily accessible and it being the winter months when daylight is limited therefore allowing us ample time to investigate each of the twelve sites and collate our data correctly. As the river is relatively compact and short in length (3km) it allowed us to study all courses of the river in enough detail to gauge a representative sample of the river's characteristics and how they changed whilst travelling downstream without rushing and putting ourselves in danger of falling into the river or slipping on the river banks therefore minimising any risks.

how many marks would I get? its out of 8. its such a hard question and my teachers on a trip so i cant ask them :s-smilie:
also don't think i wrote enough but that's all i could think of and the mark scheme is no help
Reply 78

Would you mind sending those to me also, please? :smile: Much Appreciated.
what do we think section B is going to contain?! HELPPPPP:frown::frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending