The Student Room Group

Any further reading suggestions for International Relations, Politics and/or History?

Just wondering if there's any essential readings that will help with my personal statement for politics, international relations or history. I'm mixed between the 3, as well as doing French or Beginner's German.

Any help is strongly appreciated! :biggrin:
Look for the 'Very Short Introduction to' books, there is whole series and they are small, cheap, well-written by sensible academics and aimed at first year undergraduates. They are a good preparation for studying at a the higher level expected at Uni. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/International-Relations-Short-Introduction-Introductions/dp/0192801570/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370985062&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=short+introction+to+International and there are others in History, Politics etc etc.

However, be careful about quoting or mentioning books in a PS. It isnt necessary and often it can either look like gauche showing off or you end up telling the Admissions Tutor what the book is about (they already know).
Reply 2
I'd recommend you read a variety of political-related books and include them in your personal statement.

I applied to study Politics. I read books like 'Thatcher's Britain' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1847392091) and 'The Communist Manifesto' (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Communist-Manifesto-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140447571/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370985493&sr=1-1&keywords=communist+manifesto) to show that I had an understanding of both right-wing and left-wing ideologies.

I think I also mentioned 'Animal Farm' and 'Nineteen Eighty-Four' in my personal statement too. Fictional books like that show you have a real interest in all things politics-related. I think universities like a variety.

I got offers from all the universities that I applied to so I must have done something right.

Regarding international relations, I'd suggest books about countries such as North Korea (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Impossible-State-North-Korea-Future/dp/184792235X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370985709&sr=1-1&keywords=north+korea+past) or maybe something about the foreign policy of the US (particularly under G.W. Bush).

Best of luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Fool In The Rain
Just wondering if there's any essential readings that will help with my personal statement for politics, international relations or history. I'm mixed between the 3, as well as doing French or Beginner's German.

Any help is strongly appreciated! :biggrin:

I agree with what JA1994 says about getting a politcal balance. However I never bothered with reading books, I stuck to magazines- the Economist, Spectator and The New Statesman - Left, Right and Centre (can't remember which is which). They are perfect for IR as give you the most up to date perspectives on current international events. Probally not so good for Politics though. I got 5 offers for IR both times I applied from Sheffield, Birmingham, Leeds. UEA. Portsmouth, Notts Trent.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
I agree with what JA1994 says about getting a politcal balance. However I never bothered with reading books, I stuck to magazines- the Economist, Spectator and The New Statesman - Left, Right and Centre (can't remember which is which). They are perfect for IR as give you the most up to date perspectives on current international events. Probally not so good for Politics though. I got 5 offers for IR both times I applied from Sheffield, Birmingham, Leeds. UEA. Portsmouth, Notts Trent.

I forgot about magazines/newspapers! They're good suggestions.
Original post by jelly1000

I think the Economist is right, Spectator is left and The New Statesman is centre. I'm not too sure on the last two though. :confused:

I already read newspapers, blogs and what not, as well as follow them on Twitter (purely for the links). So at least that's a good start. If their is the possibility of a language, I can always mention the French ones (Le Monde, Libération, L’humanité) to show that I have interest in politics abroad (also this would come in handy if I apply for international relations).

Would saying that I'm involved in politics on here be an interest, or would it not taken seriously? (For example, member of the Green Party, MUN representative)
Reply 6
For IR, books by Gaddis/ Ambrose and Dobbs are really good for US Foreign Policy (cold war). The Anatol Lieven book America right or wrong is also very good!
As for politics, I'd go with someone like Polly Toynbee (you might not like her, but her books are definitely good for British Politics. As well as this, Blair/ Thatcher/ Cameron's autobiographies/ Biographies (whichever apply to which!)
As for side reading, I would really recommend that you look into political philosophy, things like 1984 and the communist manifesto are great, but also wider reading around Chomsky/ Machiavelli/ Plato etc. Politics/ IR are just very broad subjects and it really does depend on what sort of stuff you are interested in too! PM me if you want any PS help! I applied for Politics/ IR and am more than happy to help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Fool In The Rain
I think the Economist is right, Spectator is left and The New Statesman is centre. I'm not too sure on the last two though. :confused:

I already read newspapers, blogs and what not, as well as follow them on Twitter (purely for the links). So at least that's a good start. If their is the possibility of a language, I can always mention the French ones (Le Monde, Libération, L’humanité) to show that I have interest in politics abroad (also this would come in handy if I apply for international relations).

Would saying that I'm involved in politics on here be an interest, or would it not taken seriously? (For example, member of the Green Party, MUN representative)

Certainly mention that you're a member of the Green Party, it shows that you're actively involved in politics.
Original post by JA1994
Certainly mention that you're a member of the Green Party, it shows that you're actively involved in politics.

I'm not an actual member, I mean on the MHoC.
I think it is important to read books you actually want to read and would read even if you didn't feel the need to include reading on your personal statement. Your personal statement is meant to be personal, so don't just go reading books that you think will please them, read it so it actually reflects your specific interests. Then if you have an interview, you will come off a lot more genuine. Not actually saying that you're going to do this btw!

I didn't actually include any books on my personal statement to apply for IR. I said something like 'I enjoy reading news and opinion, such as Al Jazeera, to keep me informed of global events and the reactions they evoke', but that was it in terms of reading. I also mentioned that I went to a conference at LSE. Going to conferences or lectures is a really good idea. Do you listen to Radio 4? That could be something to put down as well.

I'd be happy to help! I got 5 offers from Warwick, Surrey, Sussex, Kent and Aberystwyth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending