The Student Room Group

history epq

should i do an epq? my predicted grades are AAA, Physics chem maths

i love history and wish to do epq around cold war or ww2 era based on the ussr.

please suggest any topics
Original post by akshar766

Hey :smile:
I did an EPQ in year 12 and it was so so worth it so hopefully I can help a bit!

I would say, if you wont be able to get it done by latest Jan of year 13, do not do it. Even better if you can get it done in year 12 but that might not be possible. I say this as you do not want this hanging over you when you try and gear up for exam season. Most schools have mocks in Jan, so if thats the case for you, you'll be busy over Christmas and then after mocks you won't be able to relax as you have an EPQ. HOWEVER, if you think you'll get it done in good time, then go for it!

Some areas that you might find interesting to look into:
-USSR's war time actions (Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, fighting during the war)
-Inevitability of the cold war (Was it always going to happen, when did the cold war begin- 1917,1945,1961 are typical dates)
-The wartime conferences between the grand alliance (whos in charge, motivations, who came out better etc)
-The berlin crisis (USSR v US standoff, why the wall went up, was it preventable etc)
-you could look internally at the USSR (to what extent was Stalin able to remain in power by force/fear, living conditions)
-The fall of the USSR is super interesting (glassnost, perestroika, Gorbachev, Afghan War, Helsinki accords etc)
-Cold war as a whole (did anyone win the war? Did the USSR collapse due to someone else or did it internally struggle etc)

Hope this helps as starting points, its a big topic so hopefully you'll find where you're interested!
Reply 2
Original post by WillowRose33!
I did an EPQ in year 12 and it was so so worth it so hopefully I can help a bit!

I would say, if you wont be able to get it done by latest Jan of year 13, do not do it. Even better if you can get it done in year 12 but that might not be possible. I say this as you do not want this hanging over you when you try and gear up for exam season. Most schools have mocks in Jan, so if thats the case for you, you'll be busy over Christmas and then after mocks you won't be able to relax as you have an EPQ. HOWEVER, if you think you'll get it done in good time, then go for it!

-Inevitability of the cold war (Was it always going to happen, when did the cold war begin- 1917,1945,1961 are typical dates)
-The wartime conferences between the grand alliance (whos in charge, motivations, who came out better etc)
-The berlin crisis (USSR v US standoff, why the wall went up, was it preventable etc)
-you could look internally at the USSR (to what extent was Stalin able to remain in power by force/fear, living conditions)
-The fall of the USSR is super interesting (glassnost, perestroika, Gorbachev, Afghan War, Helsinki accords etc)
-Cold war as a whole (did anyone win the war? Did the USSR collapse due to someone else or did it internally struggle etc)

Hope this helps as starting points, its a big topic so hopefully you'll find where you're interested!

Hi thanks a lot.

i was thinking something based on indian foreign relations history? like how india maintained relations with ussr and usa
Reply 3
Original post by WillowRose33!

or maybe what led to poor performance of ussr during ww2?

sorry am very confused

Regarding whether you should do an EPQ… I got good marks on mine, but please make sure that whatever topic you choose there is enough information out there for your topic, because that was one of my biggest issues. For some topics there is surprisingly very little evidence out there unless you can access journal articles, which at times are locked. If I’m honest, I really did not like my EPQ at the end as it was distracting me from my A levels, but I suppose if you don’t do other essay writing subjects then it may not be an issue (for instance, doing my history coursework and EPQ was a nightmare), good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Deciding whether to pursue an epq is a personal choice, but it can offer several benefits. Given your predicted grades of AAA in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, you already have a strong academic profile. An EPQ can provide an opportunity to delve deeper into a subject you are passionate about, develop research and critical thinking skills, and demonstrate your ability to work independently.
If you love history and have a particular interest in the Cold War or the WWII era, it could be an excellent foundation for your EPQ topic. Here are some topic suggestions related to the USSR during that time period:

-The Role of Soviet Espionage during the Cold War: Investigating Soviet intelligence operations, notable spies, and their impact on international relations during the Cold War.
-Soviet Propaganda during the Cold War: Examining the techniques, messages, and effectiveness of Soviet propaganda campaigns and their influence on public opinion in the USSR and beyond.
-The Space Race: Analyzing the competition between the USSR and the United States in space exploration during the Cold War era, including key milestones, technological advancements, and political implications.
-Non-Aligned Movement and India's Foreign Policy: Investigating India's approach to non-alignment and its significance in the context of the Cold War. Analyzing India's relationships with major powers like the United States, Soviet Union, and China.
-India's Nuclear Program and its Impact on Cold War Dynamics: Examining India's pursuit of nuclear capabilities, the development of its nuclear program, and its influence on the arms race and regional stability during the Cold War.
-Indo-Soviet Relations during the Cold War: Analyzing the nature of India's relationship with the Soviet Union, including political, economic, and military cooperation, as well as their impact on India's foreign policy decisions.
-The Collapse of the Soviet Union: Exploring the factors that led to the dissolution of the USSR, including political, economic, and social aspects, and analyzing the consequences for the global order.

These topic suggestions should give you a starting point to further refine and develop your research question. Remember to consider the feasibility and availability of resources for your chosen topic. Conducting preliminary research to gauge the availability of primary and secondary sources will be crucial in ensuring a successful EPQ.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by NoeliaGe
Deciding whether to pursue an epq is a personal choice, but it can offer several benefits. Given your predicted grades of AAA in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, you already have a strong academic profile. An EPQ can provide an opportunity to delve deeper into a subject you are passionate about, develop research and critical thinking skills, and demonstrate your ability to work independently.
If you love history and have a particular interest in the Cold War or the WWII era, it could be an excellent foundation for your EPQ topic. Here are some topic suggestions related to the USSR during that time period:

-The Role of Soviet Espionage during the Cold War: Investigating Soviet intelligence operations, notable spies, and their impact on international relations during the Cold War.
-Soviet Propaganda during the Cold War: Examining the techniques, messages, and effectiveness of Soviet propaganda campaigns and their influence on public opinion in the USSR and beyond.
-The Space Race: Analyzing the competition between the USSR and the United States in space exploration during the Cold War era, including key milestones, technological advancements, and political implications.
-Non-Aligned Movement and India's Foreign Policy: Investigating India's approach to non-alignment and its significance in the context of the Cold War. Analyzing India's relationships with major powers like the United States, Soviet Union, and China.
-India's Nuclear Program and its Impact on Cold War Dynamics: Examining India's pursuit of nuclear capabilities, the development of its nuclear program, and its influence on the arms race and regional stability during the Cold War.
-Indo-Soviet Relations during the Cold War: Analyzing the nature of India's relationship with the Soviet Union, including political, economic, and military cooperation, as well as their impact on India's foreign policy decisions.
-The Collapse of the Soviet Union: Exploring the factors that led to the dissolution of the USSR, including political, economic, and social aspects, and analyzing the consequences for the global order.

These topic suggestions should give you a starting point to further refine and develop your research question. Remember to consider the feasibility and availability of resources for your chosen topic. Conducting preliminary research to gauge the availability of primary and secondary sources will be crucial in ensuring a successful EPQ.

thanks a lot :smile:, i'll be doing it on the foreign policy of india during cold war
Reply 7
also do you know of any reliable sources?

I do Cold War as one of my A-Level History topics, you should definitely do it, so interesting!
some ideas:
Sino-Soviet relations in the Cold War
the USSR nuclear arms & space race
propaganda & censorship in the USSR
impact of the war in Afghanistan in the USSR
use of psychiatric hospitals to house political prisoners
Gorbachev & his contribution to the end of the cold war

feel free to pm me:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending