The Student Room Group

Psychology or Criminology?

Hi!
I was wondering what everyones perspective of the two above degrees are?
Ideally, I want to pursue a career in criminal analysis or criminal psychology and am wondering which would be the best path for me to go down?
I don't want to feel too restricted in my degree, but was wondering if there is any psychology elements in criminology degrees?

Moreover, I was looking at either University of Leeds or University of Manchester; can anyone advise me on this?

Thank you! :-)
Reply 1
Psychology all the way. A lot of the 'profilers' have masters in Forensic Psychology, which you can only get from an undergraduate accredited degree in psychology. I know that for fact. Criminology, whilst interesting, does not offer you this accreditation.

I also applied to Manchester and Leeds, but declined them for Nottingham. This is because Nottingham have a very good background in forensic psychology. The current head of MI6 is a Nottingham grad and they recruit straight out of the uni. If you want my impressions of manchester and Leeds ill happily let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Can't offer you advice about the Universities, but I would also recommend doing Psychology. While I do not know much about the general contents of a Criminology course, I do know that a BPS accredited Psychology degree is a must have if you wish to pursue an actual career in psychology. In addition if at some point, you decide, like I have, that Psychology is not for you then the course will give you a multitude of transferable skills.

Quick Reply

Latest