The Student Room Group

Changing uni course

I have an offer for psychology and criminology and just criminology at keele and loughborough respectively but I'm wondering whether I should change my course to just psychology.

Looking at the modules for Keele, I realised I preferred more of the psychology optional modules compared to the crim and psych ones.

For Loughborough, I am attending an offer holder day soon but I am still tempted to change to psychology before then.

Though I still like criminology, I'm interested in the psychology aspect of why people commit crimes etc. rather than the criminal justice side, and I like how psychology can give me the chance to explore that but also look into other things too.

I'm still unsure of what to do in the future but I'm leaning towards forensic psychology or being a detective.
Original post by username6829382
I have an offer for psychology and criminology and just criminology at keele and loughborough respectively but I'm wondering whether I should change my course to just psychology.

Looking at the modules for Keele, I realised I preferred more of the psychology optional modules compared to the crim and psych ones.

For Loughborough, I am attending an offer holder day soon but I am still tempted to change to psychology before then.

Though I still like criminology, I'm interested in the psychology aspect of why people commit crimes etc. rather than the criminal justice side, and I like how psychology can give me the chance to explore that but also look into other things too.

I'm still unsure of what to do in the future but I'm leaning towards forensic psychology or being a detective.
Hi @username6829382 ,

Great to hear you are considering Loughborough!

I study Psychology at Loughborough so can give you some insight. I would recommend taking a look at our Psychology course page and look at the 'What you'll study' section. This shows you all the compulsory and optional modules on offer. If you still want some crime related modules I would check this as I am not sure straight Psychology optional modules include criminology.

I personally really enjoy Psychology at Loughborough as you have the opportunity to learn many aspects of Psychology through many different modules. As I wasn't initially sure what pathway of Psychology I wanted to go down this has given me opportunities to explore different areas such as sport and educational psychology. If you're not 100% set on criminology I would say it is completely worth looking into your options. For more details I would recommend contacting [email protected] as they can answer specific questions. The offer holder day will also be helpful in giving you some more insight.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask 🙂

Alex
Original post by username6829382

@username8829382

It does depend what you want to achieve. The employment market is littered with people with psychology degree's as they are often unaware that to become a fully registered psychologist in the UK you need to do doctorate level study which is a steep climb taking many years. I read somewhere the other day that Criminology is one of the degree's with the worst progression rates, a lot of people who want to go into the police typically do criminology but you don't need a degree to get in. Forensic Psychology has very very limited employment opportunities but their courses are very popular.

With psychology there are a lot of companies that really like psychology graduates for their graduate programs as it is seen as a good strong degree subject, and you will have the skills to do well in business.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest