The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Ronove
Sorry, that's not even true. A lot of places seem to prefer paid experience to voluntary. Leicester even requires a year of it for you to apply at all.

Really? Wow I didn't know. I was under the impression the voluntary was more beneficial.
Reply 181
Original post by SHOO
Really? Wow I didn't know. I was under the impression the voluntary was more beneficial.

I wouldn't say so. Obviously it's best to still have a (small) variety of experiences though, and you're unlikely to have those all be paid. I think perhaps the idea is that you have more responsibility and are more likely to be doing something hands-on and of value if you're in a paid position. You're probably also more likely to spend more time doing whatever it is and get more of a real insight than if you're just volunteering for a few hours a week as well.
Reply 182
Original post by Ronove
I wouldn't say so. Obviously it's best to still have a (small) variety of experiences though, and you're unlikely to have those all be paid. I think perhaps the idea is that you have more responsibility and are more likely to be doing something hands-on and of value if you're in a paid position. You're probably also more likely to spend more time doing whatever it is and get more of a real insight than if you're just volunteering for a few hours a week as well.

Well, in that case my paid job as a healthcare assistant at a pharmacy should be beneficial? Along with carehome, hospice & children's disabled care centre, and hopefully shadowing a doctor during Xmas?
Reply 183
Original post by DrHassan
That sounds really good. I've also applied for some vol work at my local hospital as well, still waiting to hear back from them. In the process of sorting out care home work too. GP shadowing in the Xmas holidays/New Year time fingers crossed.

Anything with the NHS seems to take so long doesn't it haha! ooo let me know how you get on with the GP shadowing, mailing out my letters to local practices this week. Good luck!:smile:
Reply 184
Hi there!

I'm thinking of applying for graduate entry medicine once I complete my Biomedical Sciences degree Bsc. Honours. I have a few questions regarding entry.

1. I've been fortunate to have quite a wealth of work experience during my sixth form. Would this work experience be relevant to call upon on in my UCAS and interview when I apply? I understand the more consistent work experience you have over a longer period of time is favourable but could I refer to an opportunity I had to shadow researchers in an Epilepsy centre? Thanks.

2. With regards to A-levels. I got a B in Chemistry and C in Biology in my A-levels horribly missing on my predictions by a grade each. I understand my options are limited anyway but if I was to retake the one unit in Biology to get me a B, would that help in my application to BB universities such as Barts and Liverpool? What I'm really asking is would Barts and Liverpool prefer a student who got AA in A-levels rather than a student who got BB in A-levels or is it simply an entry requirement.

3. Thus in my situation of a B in Chemistry and a C in Biology, would it be wise to retake the unit in Biology (U) in my Unit 5 to help get a B or is retaking a unit outside of your A-level sixth form years not preferred for unis like Liverpool and Barts who are seeking students with science-related degrees.

Thank you!
Reply 185
Original post by Chqr
Hi there!

I'm thinking of applying for graduate entry medicine once I complete my Biomedical Sciences degree Bsc. Honours. I have a few questions regarding entry.

1. I've been fortunate to have quite a wealth of work experience during my sixth form. Would this work experience be relevant to call upon on in my UCAS and interview when I apply? I understand the more consistent work experience you have over a longer period of time is favourable but could I refer to an opportunity I had to shadow researchers in an Epilepsy centre? Thanks.

2. With regards to A-levels. I got a B in Chemistry and C in Biology in my A-levels horribly missing on my predictions by a grade each. I understand my options are limited anyway but if I was to retake the one unit in Biology to get me a B, would that help in my application to BB universities such as Barts and Liverpool? What I'm really asking is would Barts and Liverpool prefer a student who got AA in A-levels rather than a student who got BB in A-levels or is it simply an entry requirement.

3. Thus in my situation of a B in Chemistry and a C in Biology, would it be wise to retake the unit in Biology (U) in my Unit 5 to help get a B or is retaking a unit outside of your A-level sixth form years not preferred for unis like Liverpool and Barts who are seeking students with science-related degrees.

Thank you!

Hi

You don't meet Barts and Liverpool's entry requirements. You would have to retake the Biology unit (any A levels taken after degrees are normally expected at grade A and therefore may have to retake more than one unit)

My advice is to apply to maybe Peninsula or Exeter who do not look at your A Levels but only your GAMSAT score. I think you'll face rejection if you apply to Barts and Liverpool.

All the best.
Hi

You don't meet Barts and Liverpool's entry requirements. You would have to retake the Biology unit (any A levels taken after degrees are normally expected at grade A and therefore may have to retake more than one unit)

My advice is to apply to maybe Peninsula or Exeter who do not look at your A Levels but only your GAMSAT score. I think you'll face rejection if you apply to Barts and Liverpool.

All the best.

Last time I looked, peninsula and Exeter both had a levels requirements, has it updated recently?

Sorry for asking, but I can't get the sites to load on my phone!
Reply 187
Original post by Chqr
Hi there!

Thank you!

I spoke to someone from barts on wednesday and they made it very clear to me that if you are applying for GEM they do NOT consider your a-levels. Just your degree. As you're doing biomedical science they do NOT require you to take any additional courses or modules to make up for biology or chemistry.
Reply 188
Barts do not consider ALevels. But they do want a minimum grade B in both Bio and Chem. The minimum is two Bs and yes it can be waived if your degree has is heavily bio/chem orientated but I would advise against applying there in the circumstances. Best to check.
Reply 189
Barts do not consider ALevels. But they do want a minimum grade B in both Bio and Chem. The minimum is two Bs and yes it can be waived if your degree has is heavily bio/chem orientated but I would advise against applying there in the circumstances. Best to check.

Well I called them on Wednesday to check and they confirmed that as long as your degree has sufficient biology and chemistry, they are not required at alevel. I even specified by asking if biomedical science falls in that category and they said yes. They also told me there is an online checker where you can input your degree and it will tell you if they require the science at alevel

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 190
Appreciated :smile:
Reply 191
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Last time I looked, peninsula and Exeter both had a levels requirements, has it updated recently?

Sorry for asking, but I can't get the sites to load on my phone!

Hey, yeah I contacted them and they only look at your gamsat score.
Hey, yeah I contacted them and they only look at your gamsat score.

Yay! Thanks so much for posting that! :biggrin:
Reply 193
Yay! Thanks so much for posting that! :biggrin:

No problem. Thinking of applying there? How are you preparing for GAMSAT?
Reply 194
No problem. Thinking of applying there? How are you preparing for GAMSAT?

By panicking.

Is anyone else doing it on Wednesday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M150
By panicking.

Is anyone else doing it on Wednesday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wouldn't that one be for 2014 entry?
Wouldn't that one be for 2014 entry?

Possibly, but the score can be used for two years (consecutive).
Reply 197
Yeah the score is valid for 2 years. I can do it now and if it goes badly then I have another chance. There is also the GAMSAT Ireland in March which I will probably do if this one doesn't go too well.

The reason I decided to do it this year is because I was unemployed and had the time to work for it. I did get a job in June though and that has made it a lot harder to revise.

Ideally, this years GAMSAT goes well and I can spend next year focused on the UKCAT for my fourth choice without distractions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 198
Original post by M150
Yeah the score is valid for 2 years. I can do it now and if it goes badly then I have another chance. There is also the GAMSAT Ireland in March which I will probably do if this one doesn't go too well.

The reason I decided to do it this year is because I was unemployed and had the time to work for it. I did get a job in June though and that has made it a lot harder to revise.

Ideally, this years GAMSAT goes well and I can spend next year focused on the UKCAT for my fourth choice without distractions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is no way in hell you should be spending a year on UKCAT. :tongue: Spend a month on it, tops.
Reply 199
Original post by Ronove
There is no way in hell you should be spending a year on UKCAT. :tongue: Spend a month on it, tops.

Oh, ha phrased that badly. Yeah planning to spend about a month on it around work, I was more worried about UKCAT distracting from the GAMSAT really, and only the GAMSAT is valid for two years. I did consider doing the UKCAT this year as a trial run but it was too expensive to justify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending