The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Tania6reed
I saw that warwick is expecting 70 minimum, do you think it's an essential requirement?

My response was in jest. If you Google it you may understand the reference :wink:

The number of hours matters little. As a general guide a years worth of volunteering a couple of days per week is considered ok.
The least I have heard from a current student was at the Notts GEM open day and she only have 4 months full time HCA work. Which would fit that year estimate.
But then again, I'm of the opinion it really matters how you interpret your experiences than how much you have. So I haven't really bothered looking around for it much.
Just got a disappointing 660 average on the UKCAT. I guess that totally rules me out of any UKCAT universities for this cycle?

Haven't got time for the GAMSAT or BMAT so i assume with that score I'm looking at attempt #2 next year!
Original post by sampowell92
Just got a disappointing 660 average on the UKCAT. I guess that totally rules me out of any UKCAT universities for this cycle?

Haven't got time for the GAMSAT or BMAT so i assume with that score I'm looking at attempt #2 next year!

Hey! Quit the pessimism! I averaged 635 and Im still applying. Noone knows what the threshold is going to be, and the UKCAT isn’t the only thing to be taken into account.
Original post by blue1211823
Hey! Quit the pessimism! I averaged 635 and Im still applying. Noone knows what the threshold is going to be, and the UKCAT isn’t the only thing to be taken into account.

Sorry! If that gives me any chance of getting in then i'll apply but people were saying last year the cut-offs were around 750??

Even if that was higher than usual and they lower this year, will 660 really be enough?

Not trying to be pessimistic, just don't want to put lots of effort into PS etc for no reason

Short on Leicester (and assuming an otherwise perfect application), you will not get an interview for a UKCAT university with 635. By all means give it a go, but scores aren't much lower than they were for 2013 entry which were approx ~680-700 for Warwick (which tends to be the lowest).

As per above, can you apply for Leicester? Otherwise regretfully it is a 5-year or wait for another attempt. Or do BMAT :smile:
Original post by MJK91
Short on Leicester (and assuming an otherwise perfect application), you will not get an interview for a UKCAT university with 635. By all means give it a go, but scores aren't much lower than they were for 2013 entry which were approx ~680-700 for Warwick (which tends to be the lowest).

As per above, can you apply for Leicester? Otherwise regretfully it is a 5-year or wait for another attempt. Or do BMAT :smile:

Im sorry but I don’t think you can tell anyone who is and who isn’t going to get in.

One of my friends is now studying GEM at King’s and got in last year with an average of around 600.

Don’t go around telling people what they can and can’t achieve.
OMG I feel like I am in a relationship with Sal Kahn through organic and inorganic chemistry as well as physics all I have been hearing is his voice. I just thought I would share my GAMSAT madness setting in.
Reply 1987
Im sorry but I don’t think you can tell anyone who is and who isn’t going to get in.

One of my friends is now studying GEM at King’s and got in last year with an average of around 600.

How did they manage that when the cut off was 778 if I remember correctly? I know Kings give some preference to current students who can interview first but I have no idea how someone with that score could possibly have been interviewed. No one is telling anyone what they can or cannot achieve, but there is a lot of realism and cynicism on the part of repeat applicants that you might want to take heed of, otherwise you might be setting yourself up for a big disappointment. As an applicant who was successful on my second attempt I can tell you from experience that you need to be realistic and strategic in where you apply depending on the qualifications you have that year, and I think that is all other users are trying to advise.
Reply 1988

I imagine the 600 got your friend in to the 5 year course. The UKCAT tends to be much more flexible on the A100 5 year programs.

Sometimes it's better to be realistic. There's no need to build someone up if you honestly don't feel they'd be competitive.
Original post by D0lly
How did they manage that when the cut off was 778 if I remember correctly? I know Kings give some preference to current students who can interview first but I have no idea how someone with that score could possibly have been interviewed. No one is telling anyone what they can or cannot achieve, but there is a lot of realism and cynicism on the part of repeat applicants that you might want to take heed of, otherwise you might be setting yourself up for a big disappointment. As an applicant who was successful on my second attempt I can tell you from experience that you need to be realistic and strategic in where you apply depending on the qualifications you have that year, and I think that is all other users are trying to advise.

For the GEM mcl make no preference to students... However for the A100 they do interview current students early, for which there are a lot of KCL grads on the 5 year course. On the GEM there were no KCL students in my year
Reply 1990

That's impossible considering they simply rejected everyone below ~770.
Reply 1991
Original post by lcsurfer
For the GEM mcl make no preference to students... However for the A100 they do interview current students early, for which there are a lot of KCL grads on the 5 year course. On the GEM there were no KCL students in my year

I see, thank you for clearing this up!
So can I just confirm that 660 effectively rules me out of any UKCAT uni this year? (and I can't apply to Leicester)
(edited 9 years ago)

Well, I can to an extent. It's a simple fact that almost all UKCAT universities use cut-offs and these are, with the exception of last year, roughly constant around 680-700 as a minimum for graduate-entry. Last year it was much higher due to a dodgy DA section.

I do not believe you that your friend got in to study GEM at King's with a score of 600 avg. It simply does not happen.

I will buy a hat and eat it if you can prove it.

I'm not making any assertions as to what you can achieve, I am simply asserting you cannot achieve it this year unless you can apply to Leicester who do not have a set cut-off.
Original post by esthersparklebut
OMG I feel like I am in a relationship with Sal Kahn through organic and inorganic chemistry as well as physics all I have been hearing is his voice. I just thought I would share my GAMSAT madness setting in.

I don't understand how he's so ****ing smart. Like, really. Maths, organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physics... blimey.
My gamsat exam is in the excel centre. Does anyone know if I can change this venue as ny hotel is in elephant and castle?
Original post by elsa10
My gamsat exam is in the excel centre. Does anyone know if I can change this venue as ny hotel is in elephant and castle?

It'd be easier to cancel your hotel booking and rebook somewhere closer to the ExCel. You could always email Acer and try, but they're quite strict on these types of things and the only other places you're going to sit the exam are in other cities, which will require more travel and/or rebooking anyway.
Original post by elsa10

I stayed at a hotel really close to ExCeL called Hotel ibis Styles London Excel which was pretty good :smile:
Original post by Zorg
My response was in jest. If you Google it you may understand the reference :wink:

The number of hours matters little. As a general guide a years worth of volunteering a couple of days per week is considered ok.
The least I have heard from a current student was at the Notts GEM open day and she only have 4 months full time HCA work. Which would fit that year estimate.
But then again, I'm of the opinion it really matters how you interpret your experiences than how much you have. So I haven't really bothered looking around for it much.

I think I remember someone on here saying they only had like 2 weeks shadowing experience before getting into Warwick. This was in a previous year though. It's definitely not quantity but quality, so long as you meet the 70h requirement.
To all the people posting on this page that haven't heard (HOW?) that last years scores were INSANE and SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR COMPARISON: stop it.

So can I just confirm that 660 effectively rules me out of any UKCAT uni this year? (and I can't apply to Leicester)

Um, well. I don't know. If you apply and don't get anywhere you have to go through the process, which is stressful. If you don't apply, you definitely won't get anywhere. Those are your options I guess.

Last years insane scores still saw some people getting interviews and places at Warwick and Leicester (anywhere else?) with high (very close to 700) 600 scores. So if we take into account how elevated last years scores were, you might stand some sort of chance? (Someone feel free to shoot me down if this logic is flawed).

I would still apply if I got 660 but maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

HOWEVER, Warwick now no longer score your PS, so this year it will be more difficult to "even it out" with an excellent personal statement and a low UKCAT score.

Maybe you could do the BMAT and look at Oxford and Imperial? Do you have a science background?

In short though it's your call, and what do you have to lose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending