The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wl1
It might be different for each university. At the Oxford open day last year they did seem to keep dropping hints that they were looking for people interested in research, or at least that their course would be suitable for people interested in research.

I assume Cambridge try something similar? I was under the impression that Cambridge attempt to attract graduates with at least some interest in research for the GEM course?
Original post by nug
I really hope so! Good luck for you UKCAT by the way. Fingers crossed the admissions Gods give us reapplicants a chance at an inteview this year :biggrin:

Haha thanks, and to you too!
Reply 1382
Original post by Tench
I assume Cambridge try something similar? I was under the impression that Cambridge attempt to attract graduates with at least some interest in research for the GEM course?

I'm definitely not saying that universities don't want doctors who go into research and I am not saying it is 100% why they didn't get in. I think it is more the closed mindedness that they may have put across. Compared to someone eager to soak up every placement they go on and gain 200% from the course VS someone going through the motions just so they can do the research that they could have done with a MSci. in Biomed. It's the same as I wouldn't go into an interview and say I want to be a gynaecologist and I'm not interested in anything else.

Doctors take on many roles throughout their profession, and there are opportunities to jump out of clinical work into teaching, management, and yes research. You wouldn't say you wanted to do medicine to be a lecturer, or to go into management, you could achieve these roles without taking up a place on a course that teaches people to treat patients. In my opinion research is the same - it is a significant facet of the profession, and one you can build a career on. But it shouldn't be the reason you want to go to medical school.

You need to show that you are going to give 100% throughout the course and by stating a singular interest might give the impression that you will not do so. So by all means say you have a passion for research, but don't state it as your singular motivating factor for wanting to do medicine. I understand that some people will disagree with me but opinion is what makes us all diverse.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by D0lly
I'm definitely not saying that universities don't want doctors who go into research and I am not saying it is 100% why they didn't get in. I think it is more the closed mindedness that they may have put across. Compared to someone eager to soak up every placement they go on and gain 200% from the course VS someone going through the motions just so they can do the research that they could have done with a MSci. in Biomed. It's the same as I wouldn't go into an interview and say I want to be a gynaecologist and I'm not interested in anything else. You need to show that you are going to give 100% throughout the course and by stating a singular interest might give the impression that you will not do so. So by all means say you have a passion for research, but don't state it as your singular motivating factor for wanting to do medicine.

You just led me to an epiphany. I didn't get in last time I applied because I focused far too much upon my interest in the scientific and "research" side of medicine in my personal statement, alongside messing up my BMAT.

Ok, maybe that's not so much an epiphany more than it is a simple observation, but either way, Thanks a million for your advice :biggrin:

Cambridge is the uni I wanted to get into since I was about 15. Heres hoping I can make it this time (fingers crossed to the point that my bones break)
Reply 1384
It may well have been one of the reasons since you could fulfil that interest without all the clinical skills and patient contact that comes with medicine. But really it's impossible to prove, and is just my observation. I start the Cambridge Graduate Course in September so feel free to ask me any questions (non admissions related). And btw I definitely never mentioned research and they let me in.. Best of luck for your final year at university!

Original post by Tench
You just led me to an epiphany. I didn't get in last time I applied because I focused far too much upon my interest in the scientific and "research" side of medicine in my personal statement, alongside messing up my BMAT.

Ok, maybe that's not so much an epiphany more than it is a simple observation, but either way, Thanks a million for your advice :biggrin:

Cambridge is the uni I wanted to get into since I was about 15. Heres hoping I can make it this time (fingers crossed to the point that my bones break)
Reply 1385
Original post by D0lly
I'm definitely not saying that universities don't want doctors who go into research and I am not saying it is 100% why they didn't get in. I think it is more the closed mindedness that they may have put across. Compared to someone eager to soak up every placement they go on and gain 200% from the course VS someone going through the motions just so they can do the research that they could have done with a MSci. in Biomed. It's the same as I wouldn't go into an interview and say I want to be a gynaecologist and I'm not interested in anything else.

Doctors take on many roles throughout their profession, and there are opportunities to jump out of clinical work into teaching, management, and yes research. You wouldn't say you wanted to do medicine to be a lecturer, or to go into management, you could achieve these roles without taking up a place on a course that teaches people to treat patients. In my opinion research is the same - it is a significant facet of the profession, and one you can build a career on. But it shouldn't be the reason you want to go to medical school.

You need to show that you are going to give 100% throughout the course and by stating a singular interest might give the impression that you will not do so. So by all means say you have a passion for research, but don't state it as your singular motivating factor for wanting to do medicine. I totally agree that people will disagree with me but opinion is what makes us all diverse.

Some universities prefer those they can make researchers from, others would prefer a straight-forward doctor. Just as there is no clear cut answer to the question "which is the easiest medical school to get in to?" Each of the medical schools look for different things.
If I recall correctly, one of the reasons given by ICL for the change from 4 year to 5 year was to create better scientists not just clinicians. Equally some medical schools have stated they won't stop you from pursuing research interests, but that's not what they're looking for i.e. they want clinicians not researchers.
There has also been a bit of a push for more clinical researchers, those that carry out research alongside their clinical duties.

To go in to any interview and not have researched the strengths of the company/institute you're hoping to join is farcical. Though if a medical school prefers scientists, illustrating an interest in the academic side of medicine would certainly curry favour.

I think the main reason people often trip up on this in interview is that it can come across as narrow minded if you're not careful. The same could be said about your gynecologist analogy.
Reply 1386
Yes, I totally agree. You've basically summed up my thoughts in a way my dissertation addled mind wouldn't allow me to! The key is to seem knowledgable about your passion and strengths (research if that is the case) but to seem open minded as to how you wish to put that into practice depending upon where you've applied. With a personal statement aimed at multiple institutions with varying expectations that can be difficult and thus careful wording is necessary in order to remain true to yourself, but to not come across narrow minded as to what the profession encompasses.

Original post by Zorg
Some universities prefer those they can make researchers from, others would prefer a straight-forward doctor. Just as there is no clear cut answer to the question "which is the easiest medical school to get in to?" Each of the medical schools look for different things.
If I recall correctly, one of the reasons given by ICL for the change from 4 year to 5 year was to create better scientists not just clinicians. Equally some medical schools have stated they won't stop you from pursuing research interests, but that's not what they're looking for i.e. they want clinicians not researchers.
There has also been a bit of a push for more clinical researchers, those that carry out research alongside their clinical duties.

To go in to any interview and not have researched the strengths of the company/institute you're hoping to join is farcical. Though if a medical school prefers scientists, illustrating an interest in the academic side of medicine would certainly curry favour.

I think the main reason people often trip up on this in interview is that it can come across as narrow minded if you're not careful. The same could be said about your gynecologist analogy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey. I've just gotten my UKCAT scores and they aren't good. Could you guys be a dear and tell me my options?

GSCE's I have the 6 A's including English and Maths

A levels: A Chem A Bio B English c Drama

Currently doing a BSc in Anatomical Sciences hoping for a 2.1.

UKCAT about 650

Is there any point applying to the 2 Grad entry courses that don't require admissions tests? Is there any point attempting the GAMSAT ? Can I get into any 5 year courses with that UKCAT? I don't really want to go out of London - my parents will pay tuition but how will I fund rent? (Im a Londoner). Should I just wait till after I get my degree? I got 685 the first time I did my UKCAT but a) still not enough for a 4 year course and b) I feel like the test is getting harder every year - what of I do even worse next year? Kind of tired of feeling a failure....
Original post by RexyB
Is there any point applying to the 2 Grad entry courses that don't require admissions tests? Is there any point attempting the GAMSAT ? Can I get into any 5 year courses with that UKCAT?

Put it this way. If you don't apply, you have a 0% chance. Even if it's a 1% chance you'll make it through, it's worth applying, no?
Original post by RexyB
Hey. I've just gotten my UKCAT scores and they aren't good. Could you guys be a dear and tell me my options?

GSCE's I have the 6 A's including English and Maths

A levels: A Chem A Bio B English c Drama

Currently doing a BSc in Anatomical Sciences hoping for a 2.1.

UKCAT about 650

Is there any point applying to the 2 Grad entry courses that don't require admissions tests? Is there any point attempting the GAMSAT ? Can I get into any 5 year courses with that UKCAT? I don't really want to go out of London - my parents will pay tuition but how will I fund rent? (Im a Londoner). Should I just wait till after I get my degree? I got 685 the first time I did my UKCAT but a) still not enough for a 4 year course and b) I feel like the test is getting harder every year - what of I do even worse next year? Kind of tired of feeling a failure....

May I ask how you did on all sections?

If you don't want to leave London then your only option is St Georges and that's GAMSAT. If your chemistry/biology is still fresh, then you could probably cram it in a month so long as you can write well! Will cost you a bomb, however. Kings and Barts are both high UKCAT requirements unfortunately.

Can't help you with RE: to undergraduate degrees, but I wouldn't be surprised so long as you had good A-levels. You may be able to find somewhere that places less emphasis on the UKCAT.

Cambridge (no entry exam) is an option, but you'll need very good A-levels (A in Bio, Chem and either Physics or Maths; it's a de facto requirement though not stated). Also need a strong research or experienced background.

Don't be afraid to try again. Last year was definitely easier because of the DA **** up (inflated scores). This year is more like how it was the year before last, and now you have experience you could try again!

Best of luck.
Original post by MJK91
Cambridge (no entry exam) is an option, but you'll need very good A-levels (A in Bio, Chem and either Physics or Maths; it's a de facto requirement though not stated). Also need a strong research or experienced background.

Yes, Cambridge does put A-Levels in high regard for the GEM, but after emailing an admissions tutor at Wolfson College, they said that they're looking for A-Levels of AAA from competitive applicants. They also emphasised that academic achievement at uni is also put in high regard I.E. If you want to go for Cambridge's GEM, it's best to aim for a 1st rather than a 2.1
Actually, anyone here who happens to have gotten an offer for Cambridge's GEM. (I know at least one of you did. You know who you are :wink: )

Could I ask you what kind of grades you got at A-Level? As well as the kind of work experience you gained before/after applying and for how long? Thanks for your time.
Original post by Iamyourfather
Same. I'm going to spend 2015 getting experience. Are you still at Uni?

Yes, I'm going into my second year

Original post by Rose256
Cool!! Have you started doing anything to prepare??

Tbh not really. I volunteer in my church's soup kitchen which gives food to homeless people. I did primary school reading but stopped that. I will be starting St. John's ambulance in Oct. Also, I'm applying for volunteering at hospitals and charities. I will buy test preparation things when I go back to Uni in Oct.

Yourself?
Original post by Tench
Actually, anyone here who happens to have gotten an offer for Cambridge's GEM. (I know at least one of you did. You know who you are :wink: )

Could I ask you what kind of grades you got at A-Level? As well as the kind of work experience you gained before/after applying and for how long? Thanks for your time.

The user D0lly did, as mentioned to you by her above.

D0lly
x
Hello everyone, I've been watching this thread but have only posted once soI thought I would post again :smile: hope you're all doing well with UKCAT and GAMSAT prep, i'm doing the UKCAT and i'm pretty terrified! My question is whether you think it would be worth me doing AS chemistry this year?

I have 9 A*-A GCSEs, Alevels at A* Geography, A Biology and A History, a BSc Geography degree at a 1st, just finishing my MSc Crime and Forensic Science at UCL and predicted a Merit/Distinction. I have been volunteering in ICU for a few months at King's College Hospital and also in the children's blood clinic elsewhere. I have just secured a job as a full time Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Assistant to start in September to help me gain experience (and to fulfil Leicester's requirement of one years paid work). I've also done work experience shadowing consultants.

As I do not have Alevel chemistry (even though my degrees have been chemistry heavy, the universities i've emailed will not accept that), do you think it wise for me to try and gain an AS in chemistry this year? I would have to do evening classes and it would cost a lot so I am just wondering whether it would be worth it? The only universities that I can apply to with my qualifications are Kings, Warwick, Leicester and Newcastle. I'm worried that if I do terrible on the UKCAT then that counts me out of most, if not all, of those! And as this is the last time Leicester are offering the course then if I have to reapply next year then that drops my options down to only 3!

Hope this makes sense, any guidance would be much appreciated :smile:
The 4 choices available to you are very good universities to study at. If they suit your learning style and location preferences then achieving a chemistry qualification would be redundant. However, if you have your heart set on another university not available to you then I guess you would have to? Hope it goes well for you.:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CharlottexBelle
Hello everyone, I've been watching this thread but have only posted once soI thought I would post again :smile: hope you're all doing well with UKCAT and GAMSAT prep, i'm doing the UKCAT and i'm pretty terrified! My question is whether you think it would be worth me doing AS chemistry this year?

I have 9 A*-A GCSEs, Alevels at A* Geography, A Biology and A History, a BSc Geography degree at a 1st, just finishing my MSc Crime and Forensic Science at UCL and predicted a Merit/Distinction. I have been volunteering in ICU for a few months at King's College Hospital and also in the children's blood clinic elsewhere. I have just secured a job as a full time Physiotherapy Rehabilitation Assistant to start in September to help me gain experience (and to fulfil Leicester's requirement of one years paid work). I've also done work experience shadowing consultants.

As I do not have Alevel chemistry (even though my degrees have been chemistry heavy, the universities i've emailed will not accept that), do you think it wise for me to try and gain an AS in chemistry this year? I would have to do evening classes and it would cost a lot so I am just wondering whether it would be worth it? The only universities that I can apply to with my qualifications are Kings, Warwick, Leicester and Newcastle. I'm worried that if I do terrible on the UKCAT then that counts me out of most, if not all, of those! And as this is the last time Leicester are offering the course then if I have to reapply next year then that drops my options down to only 3!

Wait until you sit the UKCAT and see how you do. If you do well, then you have Warwick, Leicester and Newcastle at least. Kings obviously depends on doing very well in the UKCAT.

If you don't do well, you then have the following year to an AS. The problem is you have to sit practicals as well and this can cost quite a lot of money. Judging by your background, I'd be surprised if you didn't do well enough on the UKCAT for Warwick!
What about the GAMSAT? I think you've just missed the deadline this year but if you've done lots of chemistry and did well at biology A-level it seems you would have a decent shot.

Apologies for the ignorance but I sort of presumed the year's work experience for Leicester had to be completed before the UCAS deadline. Is this not right? Cheers.
Original post by Steppentrout
What about the GAMSAT? I think you've just missed the deadline this year but if you've done lots of chemistry and did well at biology A-level it seems you would have a decent shot.

Apologies for the ignorance but I sort of presumed the year's work experience for Leicester had to be completed before the UCAS deadline. Is this not right? Cheers.

No, it has to be done by the start of the course.

This is what it says in their admission criteria-
This is no longer scored as a separate item; however you must be in a position to have a minimum of
12 months full-time paid employment in a caring role by the start of the course. Practically this requires
you to have begun employment in a caring role by the start of September 2014 or earlier.
Original post by CharlottexBelle

I did chemistry AS this year and then found out that the med schools I want to apply for will accept the level of chemistry in my degree with only one of them wanting a piece of paper from my uni stating how much chemistry.

Which med schools did you contact?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending