The Student Room Group

Medicine Graduate Entry 2015!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Callum3112
Just messaged you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you shed some light on this for me too please? :smile:
Original post by CharlottexBelle
I really hope so! Thank you! :smile: how about the other sections?

AR I found much easier than expected, DA I felt went exceedingly well but apparently not that great (720) so probably lots of similar answers throwing me off, and VR was ****ting impossible :P
Original post by aimee_rhodes
Have I ruled myself out of GEM?!

Well no, as there is always next year :wink: but...

Hi, I need some advice please!

Just finished my ukcat and got much lower than I hoped (670). I have a 2.1 BSc in Genetics, MSc with Distiniction in Clinical Science - Immunology, and I'm a registered clinical scientist currently working for the NHS (NHS STP programme). My A-levels were unimpressive (ABCCb) but GCSEs were very good.

This is my first time applying, and was thinking of Warwick, Barts and Newcastle, and doing the BMAT for Oxford.

I need to have a shift around, could anyone offer advice please?

I'd expect scores required for Warwick to be around 2800-2900 for graduates without an MSc (slightly lower than last year as provisional deciles seem much lower). Since you have an MSc, your requirements will likely be lower so definitely worth a punt if you have good vocational experience in healthcare/voluntary work.

Barts is the next lowest UKCAT but usually takes scores from the top decile. That would be around 710-715+ this year based on provisional deciles, but could go up or down as only ~2,500 have sat the test out of 25,000. Still worth a go.

I wouldn't recommend Newcastle or any other UKCAT university with a sub-700 score. Historically it puts you at a disadvantage. I can never say never and that scores won't dip even further, but it is a risk.

Oxford and the BMAT is a good plan; if you do well on the BMAT you stand a good chance.
Does anyone know what The university of Birmingham medical school look for when reviewing personal statements for their graduate entry programme?

Since they do not look at any admissions exam, I am assuming the PS is weighted extensively.
Original post by converseallstars
Was hoping someone could help me out with this because it keeps coming up and I just need to make sure I understand it 100%.
When doing percentage change questions, it's (difference/original)*100. But in a worded question, for example like the one below, how do I know what the bottom "original" value is?

The median annual salary of males who are Oracle Professionals is approximately what percent greater than that of females in the same occupation?
Male: 9054
Female: 7761

So for here, I would have done 9054-7761/9054 because that looks like the original value to me (seeing as it's the male salary that is mentioned first in the question, and thus what I would assume to be the "original" value). But the Medify solution is 9054-7761/7761 which just doesn't make sense to me.

Don't want to waste time redoing the calculation every time my choice isn't there, so was just hoping someone could shed some light on this!

Thanks in advance. :smile:

You divide by the female number so that you find out the percentage difference
An easier way of looking at is like:
John has gone shopping and this is in his basket:
Apples: 10
Oranges: 6
What percentage more of apples are there than oranges?
Step 1: 10-6=4 ( to find the difference of apples to oranges)
Step 2: 4/6= 0.666 (you divide by the oranges as you want to find out how many more apples there are percentage wise)
Step 3: answer is 66% more apples than oranges

Or even easier same question as above just different numbers:

Apples 10
Oranges 5

Step 1: 10-5=5
Step 2: 5/5= 1 (or 100%)
Step 3: 100% - so there are 100% more apples than oranges because 5x2=10...

Hope that is of some help! Try not to overthink these questions as it is easy too :smile: it is really simple maths just in a load of words
Original post by MJK91

I'd expect scores required for Warwick to be around 2800-2900 for graduates without an MSc (slightly lower than last year as provisional deciles seem much lower). Since you have an MSc, your requirements will likely be lower so definitely worth a punt if you have good vocational experience in healthcare/voluntary work.

So having an MSc the score will be slightly lower? Are we thinking 2700 or is that too hopeful?
So having an MSc the score will be slightly lower? Are we thinking 2700 or is that too hopeful?

Who knows, but I don't think that's an unrealistic guess if you maxed out on PS scores as well.
Original post by MJK91
Who knows, but I don't think that's an unrealistic guess if you maxed out on PS scores as well.

Okay sure. When I went to the Warwick open day they said that they don't really use the PS anymore, but do we still get marked on it with UKCAT scores as well?

Their website says you need a phd to get an interview with 2700 and an undergraduate degree with 3000, so msc would make sense to need 2850

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay sure. When I went to the Warwick open day they said that they don't really use the PS anymore, but do we still get marked on it with UKCAT scores as well?

No, I emailed Warwick and was told they're just allocating selection centre places on predicted/obtained grades and ukcat scores

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still mentioned as essential that you should certain aptitudes and abilities through work experience etc. and they only way they can ascertain that is through the personal statement. In previous years they scored it and added it to a score for the UKCAT and reference. I'd be surprised if it's any different this year, though the primary factor is still UKCAT (as you can max. everything else but only fail on the UKCAT).

No, I emailed Warwick and was told they're just allocating selection centre places on predicted/obtained grades and ukcat scores

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, nevermind the above then! Thanks for that. Scary though :frown: Terrified I won't make it as a BSc grad and 702.5 :frown:
Original post by lcsurfer
You divide by the female number so that you find out the percentage difference
An easier way of looking at is like:
John has gone shopping and this is in his basket:
Apples: 10
Oranges: 6
What percentage more of apples are there than oranges?
Step 1: 10-6=4 ( to find the difference of apples to oranges)
Step 2: 4/6= 0.666 (you divide by the oranges as you want to find out how many more apples there are percentage wise)
Step 3: answer is 66% more apples than oranges

Or even easier same question as above just different numbers:

Apples 10
Oranges 5

Step 1: 10-5=5
Step 2: 5/5= 1 (or 100%)
Step 3: 100% - so there are 100% more apples than oranges because 5x2=10...

Hope that is of some help! Try not to overthink these questions as it is easy too :smile: it is really simple maths just in a load of words

Thank you so much, that makes sense!! :smile:
How accurate is the easy Medify mock when compared to the real UKCAT?
Original post by converseallstars
How accurate is the easy Medify mock when compared to the real UKCAT?

I'm hoping that it's the same or harder than the real thing as I did okay, not great :/
Reply 1794
Original post by MJK91
It's still mentioned as essential that you should certain aptitudes and abilities through work experience etc. and they only way they can ascertain that is through the personal statement. In previous years they scored it and added it to a score for the UKCAT and reference. I'd be surprised if it's any different this year, though the primary factor is still UKCAT (as you can max. everything else but only fail on the UKCAT).

Oh, nevermind the above then! Thanks for that. Scary though :frown: Terrified I won't make it as a BSc grad and 702.5 :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Though the provisional deciles are lower this year I'd expect WMS' choice to not use PS to play a role in deciding the UKCAT cutoff. I'd expect the cutoff to rise as I assume in previous years those with weaker UKCAT scores but stronger PS were invited to interview and brought the cutoff score down.

Though as a few here will tell you I'm a major cynic :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm hoping that it's the same or harder than the real thing as I did okay, not great :/

I hope so too, and I did slightly worse in each section except DA for the medium mock so I'm really hoping the real thing is either similar or easier than Medify easy mock (and nowhere near the level of difficulty of the official UKCAT mocks!) Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
I dont know if Imperial accept Pharmacy degrees.

I sat the BMAT. And it is doable. I decided on medicine the last possible day to register for the UKCAT and wrote the BMAT in November.

It was a punt, and no I didn't do fantastic in it. But it is doable.

I did it because like you I didn't do comfortably well in the UKCAT and needed other options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Their website says you need a phd to get an interview with 2700 and an undergraduate degree with 3000, so msc would make sense to need 2850

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seems like everything at Warwick has changed since the open day I went to in May, good job I come on here! :frown:

Where on their website does it say this?

Okay so the actual quote is this:
"Candidates without a PhD and scoring less than 2700 are unlikely to be invited to Selection Centre. Candidates with an undergraduate degree and no additional postgraduate qualifications scoring above 3000 are usually offered a place at Selection Centre, but it depends on the overall UKCAT performance of our applicants that year."

Panic over. 675 is an achievable score, you don't NEED 750 to get to the selection centre, they just say you are very likely to if you do. An amazing PS could still make up some points.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by p90rsk
Seems like everything at Warwick has changed since the open day I went to in May, good job I come on here! :frown:

Where on their website does it say this?

Okay so the actual quote is this:
"Candidates without a PhD and scoring less than 2700 are unlikely to be invited to Selection Centre. Candidates with an undergraduate degree and no additional postgraduate qualifications scoring above 3000 are usually offered a place at Selection Centre, but it depends on the overall UKCAT performance of our applicants that year."

Panic over. 675 is an achievable score, you don't NEED 750 to get to the selection centre, they just say you are very likely to if you do. An amazing PS could still make up some points.

I've been told they're not scoring the PS this year and just allocating selection centre places based on degree and ukcat. I imagine they're just using it to check you meet the work experience expectations etc
Can anybody shed any light on converting Medify mock scores into UKCAT rough estimates please? My easy mock was: VR 41/44 QR 20/36 AR 32/55 DA 25/28 and medium was VR 35/44 QR 25/36 AR 32/55 DA 20/28.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending