The Student Room Group

Which is better: a high IQ or academic success (good grades)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vian
Hard work trumps talent. Hard workers have changed society. Smart hard workers have changed society. Just smart people change nothing.

How many untalented or dumb try-hards have changed society?

I think to do something as grand as "change society", you need the talent (whether that's physical, intellectual, or whatever) and the work ethic.
Reply 41
Academic success. Loads of people with high IQ never do anything with their lives beyond memorising a ridiculous number of Pi, or something similar. If you can get both, that's awesome, and there's a correlation. But IQ does not necessarily equal intelligence, really. In the sense that you can get someone with high IQ who's a complete moron in many areas, an vice versa.

Just my experiences, anyway.
Original post by Pyratheon
Academic success. Loads of people with high IQ never do anything with their lives beyond memorising a ridiculous number of Pi, or something similar.

IQ has absolutely nothing to do with memory.
Reply 43
Original post by Gordon1985
IQ has absolutely nothing to do with memory.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Perhaps the individuals I'm referring to also just happened to be blessed with great memory.

Don't know much about the subject tbh, so take everything I say with a heap of salt.
How many untalented or dumb try-hards have changed society?

I think to do something as grand as "change society", you need the talent (whether that's physical, intellectual, or whatever) and the work ethic.

Seriously? What about Richard Branson? He's not very intelligent on an academic level at all, and yet look at all the success he has had. He's probably changed society and left a large imprint.

Lord Sugar? He developed Amstrad and made many consumer electronics available to many people.

There are a lot of less intelligent people have made a lasting impact on many parts of society, and many more intelligent people who have done nothing.
I don't see the point of this question; it will just lead to differing people resorting to their inherent biases i.e. those with a high IQ but poor academic achievements will think IQ matters more, and those who excel in academia but have an average IQ will say academic achievement matters more. Of course if you are blessed with both that's cool, although IQ is ridiculously flawed as a measure of intelligence.
Original post by arcturus7
Seriously? What about Richard Branson? He's not very intelligent on an academic level at all, and yet look at all the success he has had. He's probably changed society and left a large imprint.

Lord Sugar? He developed Amstrad and made many consumer electronics available to many people.

There are a lot of less intelligent people have made a lasting impact on many parts of society, and many more intelligent people who have done nothing.

What!? I'm sure Richard Branson and Alan Sugar are very intelligent guys.
What!? I'm sure Richard Branson and Alan Sugar are very intelligent guys.

Richard Branson left school with next to no qualifications. He has dyslexia and was supposedly told by his teachers that he'd make nothing of himself. And yet look at him - incredibly successful.

Alan Sugar also left school at age 16 and was far more interested in entrepreneurial and business activities while at school. He doesn't have anywhere near as many qualifications academically as me even, yet he has definitely made more of a difference to the world than I have.

Just assuming that you have to be intelligent and hardworking to succeed in life is entirely fallacious. You have an advantage if you have both intelligence and a good work ethic, but only one of them is truly necessary (in my opinion).
Reply 48
Original post by Olenna Tyrell
I don't mean just for securing jobs or anything, but in general to society and life.

Which is better (yes I know very subjective): a very high IQ or scoring great academics (so academic intelligence)?

So a comparison may be:

1) A person with a very high IQ and thus able to answer logical, mathematical, IQ-type tests, or:

2) A person with AAA at A-level and a First Class traditional degree from a Russell Group uni, but a significantly lower IQ than the person above.

I know the two do not have to be mutually exclusive, but what do you think?

The "educated" can be some of the must stupid people around with no common sense. They tend to just have one idea or scheme and filter everything through it, therefore have a skewed view of the world that has no relation to reality. Just read some of the posts on this forum.
Original post by Chopper10
The "educated" can be some of the must stupid people around with no common sense. They tend to just have one idea or scheme and filter everything through it, therefore have a skewed view of the world that has no relation to reality. Just read some of the posts on this forum.

This is utter horse****. How would you know any of this? This is merely your twisted idea of what educated people are like, with no evidence to back it up.
Richard Branson left school with next to no qualifications. He has dyslexia and was supposedly told by his teachers that he'd make nothing of himself. And yet look at him - incredibly successful.

Alan Sugar also left school at age 16 and was far more interested in entrepreneurial and business activities while at school. He doesn't have anywhere near as many qualifications academically as me even, yet he has definitely made more of a difference to the world than I have.

Just assuming that you have to be intelligent and hardworking to succeed in life is entirely fallacious. You have an advantage if you have both intelligence and a good work ethic, but only one of them is truly necessary (in my opinion).

Isn't this making the argument against grades being better than a high IQ.

Are you seriously telling me you don't think Richard Branson and Alan Sugar are highly intelligent guys? Both of them are clearly entrepreneurs, maybe acadmic stuff just really never piqued their interest. And Branson's dyslexia is probably a pretty big mitigating factor as the support for students with dyslexia was almost certainly worse than it is now.

I can't beleive you're making the argument that Branson and Sugar are not highly intelligent guys.
Isn't this making the argument against grades being better than a high IQ.

Are you seriously telling me you don't think Richard Branson and Alan Sugar are highly intelligent guys? Both of them are clearly entrepreneurs, maybe acadmic stuff just really never piqued their interest. And Branson's dyslexia is probably a pretty big mitigating factor as the support for students with dyslexia was almost certainly worse than it is now.

I can't beleive you're making the argument that Branson and Sugar are not highly intelligent guys.

I don't know anything about their IQ, I know a bit about their academic records. Just being business savvy doesn't give you a high IQ by definition. As people have mentioned, testing IQ to see how intelligent a person is is flawed. Sugar and Branson are fantastic business men for sure, however, they probably know little about many other things. So no, on the whole I wouldn't say they were fantastically intelligent in the scheme of things. However, they are successful and good entrepreneurs, and so they are obviously well versed in the field of business.

You're basically arguing that everyone who is successful is intelligent in some way or another. Well that to some extent is obvious - everyone who is successful is obviously good at what they do. Whether that makes them INTELLIGENT or not is a whole other story.

What about footballers? Hell even the Pope? Footballers are successful and very wealthy, inspire many people and some have changed the world. Are you telling me that every successful footballer has a sky high IQ? The pope has changed the world, every pope has, however their intelligence is highly questionable.

Intelligence and academic success are closely linked, but obviously not synonymous.
I don't know anything about their IQ, I know a bit about their academic records. Just being business savvy doesn't give you a high IQ by definition. As people have mentioned, testing IQ to see how intelligent a person is is flawed. Sugar and Branson are fantastic business men for sure, however, they probably know little about many other things. So no, on the whole I wouldn't say they were fantastically intelligent in the scheme of things. However, they are successful and good entrepreneurs, and so they are obviously well versed in the field of business.

You're basically arguing that everyone who is successful is intelligent in some way or another. Well that to some extent is obvious - everyone who is successful is obviously good at what they do. Whether that makes them INTELLIGENT or not is a whole other story.

What about footballers? Hell even the Pope? Footballers are successful and very wealthy, inspire many people and some have changed the world. Are you telling me that every successful footballer has a sky high IQ? The pope has changed the world, every pope has, however their intelligence is highly questionable.

Intelligence and academic success are closely linked, but obviously not synonymous.

I said earlier that hard work alone isn't good enough to be a very high achiever. It need talent as well, whether that's an IQ type of intelligence, athletic ability, performing ability doesn't really matter as long as it's related to your field.

Highly successful footballers obviously have high levels of talent. You could argue that many of them only achieve this talent through hard work but they need it and have it nevertheless.

I think that highly successful businessmen such as Branson and Sugar (who are completely self-made) need to be very intelligent (among other things). And I would say that kind of intelligence would probably give them, at least, comfortably higher than average IQs. The fact that I'm saying they have high IQs and have never been academically successful makes it pretty obvious I'm not saying high IQ and academic achievement are synonymous.
Reply 53
I would class myself as a fairly intelligent but lack academic success...example, gold in UKMT maths challenge(very logical, puzzle based test in 6th form) and failed my A-levels due to never going.

Try hards may get success and they do, but they're still idiots. They have made their parents proud and got to wear their graduation outfit....but I still get to sit there smugly while they fail to do the mathematical puzzles in the morning paper or cannot work out sums in their head when in a shop.

I have marginalised my short comings by not measuring my success based on capitalist ideologies. That will probably change when I hit 30, I will then probably commit suicide.
Original post by The Adventurer
I don't see the point of this question; it will just lead to differing people resorting to their inherent biases i.e. those with a high IQ but poor academic achievements will think IQ matters more, and those who excel in academia but have an average IQ will say academic achievement matters more. Of course if you are blessed with both that's cool, although IQ is ridiculously flawed as a measure of intelligence.

I've scored relatively high on the IQ tests I've taken, although you can argue about their accuracy. I do however agree that it is flawed as a measure of intelligence, so much so that I don't think it should be taken as a measure of it at all. All someones IQ really tells you is how good they are at taking IQ tests. I just happen to be relatively good at them. That in no way means that I am actually in the top whatever percentage of people by intelligence, there's no way I am, and I would laugh at anyone who suggested it.

I would say academic achievement is probably a better measure of intelligence anyway; although it is affected a great deal by personal circumstances, it's a better measure of all round potential, I think.
Reply 55
99% of people that discuss their IQ have never actually done a proper one and are talking about internet IQ tests that are there to earn money. Of course they're going to be really positive and give you a high score.

While I do think IQ tests definitely correlate well with intelligence, internet IQ tests don't mean much. Well obviously a more intelligent person will do better, but you can generally minus about 20 IQ points off the actual result they give you.
(edited 10 years ago)
I said earlier that hard work alone isn't good enough to be a very high achiever. It need talent as well, whether that's an IQ type of intelligence, athletic ability, performing ability doesn't really matter as long as it's related to your field.

Highly successful footballers obviously have high levels of talent. You could argue that many of them only achieve this talent through hard work but they need it and have it nevertheless.

I think that highly successful businessmen such as Branson and Sugar (who are completely self-made) need to be very intelligent (among other things). And I would say that kind of intelligence would probably give them, at least, comfortably higher than average IQs. The fact that I'm saying they have high IQs and have never been academically successful makes it pretty obvious I'm not saying high IQ and academic achievement are synonymous.

I'd whole-heatedly agree that yes you need to be talented in a field to succeed - but in many cases this talent can be achieved through hard work. However - your statement was "how many dumb tryhards have changed the world?" My answer - plenty. I'd be willing to bet that if you gave Sugar, Branson and many other business owners a logical IQ test, most would be average. No better.

Talent and IQ are very different. I don't personally believe you have to be high IQ'd in business to succeed (in fact I know this - I know a businessman locally through my parents who is very successful in his business and he is far from intelligent). With hard work, almost anybody can gain the knowledge to do most non-academic jobs. That to me is just proof that hard work alone can take you places. Talent and/or intelligence are added bonuses, but not prerequisites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending