The Student Room Group

Only child syndrome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 101
We can now continue this now I have completed a weeks ban for this thread. I had an opinion, I didn't call people names or be particularly offensive...I just stated something I have noticed with society.
Reply 102
Hey, i'm an only child. I am in no way any of what you just mentioned. Grow up and don't make such stupid comments about people you obviously know nothing about.
I'm an only child and I strongly relate to the points you mention: social retard, low empathy, not able to handle banter well and losing friends because of interpreting jokes aimed at me as genuine insults, occasional struggle with sarcasm, occasional selfishness (although I can be pretty generous too but that's because I've learned to be over the years), preferring the company of people older than me, enjoying my own space, very shy (etc.). And being ambitious, which I think you've omitted.

You know it's funny because I've often felt 'weird' compared to most people. I spend a lot of time to myself introspecting why that is and then I think 'ah yes, it must be because I'm an only child.' How you turn out also depends on other factors i.e. where you live and proximity to friends. Being an only child combined with living in a village as a teenager where I had no friends must've messed me up a bit.

It is a privilege though. I think you're more likely to do better in life than children with siblings from similar backgrounds because you have more resources/time devoted to you. Which is why it beggars belief how financially challenged parents often have so many f'kin kids. Kids are expensive.

Overall I am glad I don't sibling(/s) because if I did I'd probably have to share a room/games console/computer with him/her/them. It would be nice to not be a social retard though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending