The Student Room Group

Suicide 'Attempts' - Genuine Intention or Seeking Attention?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, suicide attempts are attention seeking. I mean if your going to kill yourself, then why don't people go all the way, and anyway, suicide means the end of ones life via own decision, if you have not been physically harmed, ten you can't call it an attempt, especially since celebrities tell you anything to become liked and adored!
Reply 61
Original post by paddlesnap
I've no intention of bullying anyone, what I'm stating is a fact. You wouldn't commit suicide if you didn't have any underlying issues that needed to be addressed, as you wouldn't have any reason to commit suicide. The point I'm trying to make is it's certainly plausible that nobody attempts suicide with the intention of truly killing themselves, subconsciously or not, and that they want the help to solve their issues and they feel they've run out of options.

As I said. If you really wanted to kill yourself, why would you choose an unreliable method, such as stabbing or shooting which can potentially leave you alive, when all you really need to do is drink bleach or go and throw yourself off a motorway bridge? (I understand people actually do this, by the way, I'm referring to the "emo" teenagers you hear about who've tried to hang themselves from a light fitting or suffocate themselves by putting a plastic bag over their head.)

What? shooting yourself in your head or brainstem is a much more reliable method of suicide than chugging random disinfectants,pills or nail polish etc
Original post by Messalina
Already told you, learn to read.

Ohh so you did! Sorry!

Thanks for being so rude about it.

What made you not want to kill yourself after drinking bleach?
Reply 63
What some of you don't seem to get is:

Wanting the pain to stop Wanting to die.

The problem is that dying ends up seeming like the only solution, but it's still not something most people really want to do. There's a hell of a lot of uncertainty in those moments, trying to decide how worth it it would be to try living another week, seeing what might happen, weighing it up against the constant torture that your life currently represents. Maybe you're still lucid enough to realise that your family will be utterly devastated, maybe you're not. And so on.
Original post by arkhamz
What? shooting yourself in your head or brainstem is a much more reliable method of suicide than chugging random disinfectants,pills or nail polish etc

Technically yes, you have to destroy the brain to fully die, being shot in the nerve stem will only leave you paralysed and not kill you, drug abuse will kill you. And not as painful!
Original post by Ronove
What some of you don't seem to get is:

Wanting the pain to stop Wanting to die.

My point exactly.
Reply 66
I think it's important to distinguish between a cry for help and a genuine suicide bid. It takes an enormous amount of courage to admit that you have depression/suicidal thoughts and wish to seek help. Sometimes people just can't bring themselves to do this and so 'attempt suicide', and consequently are given the help/attention that they need after they recover.
I would assume that those who truly wish to kill themselves would select a means that would guarantee this end.
Original post by pizzle223
Ohh so you did! Sorry!

Thanks for being so rude about it.

What made you not want to kill yourself after drinking bleach?

Rudeness wasn't my intention, sorry it is just a touchy subject.

For a long time I still wanted to, but thanks to being sectioned I wasn't able to, and over time my mental health improved and I am no longer in that head space. I wouldn't wish it on anybody, it's a horrible experience and I wish I hadn't had to go through it.
Reply 68
Original post by CD2112
I think it's important to distinguish between a cry for help and a genuine suicide bid. It takes an enormous amount of courage to admit that you have depression/suicidal thoughts and wish to seek help. Sometimes people just can't bring themselves to do this and so 'attempt suicide', and consequently are given the help/attention that they need after they recover.
I would assume that those who truly wish to kill themselves would select a means that would guarantee this end.

See that's the controversial part of this debate that some people aren't understanding. Part of me sides with you and I think that if you truly wanted to do it, you'd do it or give it a bloody good go. Which is why I can't help but think that whenever I read about all of these failed suicide attempts, that it's likely that the person never had the right intentions and was never truly dedicated to seeing it through.
Original post by Rybee
See that's the controversial part of this debate that some people aren't understanding. Part of me sides with you and I think that if you truly wanted to do it, you'd do it or give it a bloody good go. Which is why I can't help but think that whenever I read about all of these failed suicide attempts, that it's likely that the person never had the right intentions and was never truly dedicated to seeing it through.

Ohh bad choice of words..
Reply 70
Original post by Rybee
Which is why I can't help but think that whenever I read about all of these failed suicide attempts, that it's likely that the person never had the right intentions and was never truly dedicated to seeing it through.

It's probably best then to view a suicide attempt as a broad term that ironically does not have to imply that the person actually wished to kill themselves (again going back to what I said about cries for help etc). The actual thought processes of the people engaging in these things are complex, thus making it extremely difficult to establish intention. It is much easier for people (albeit incorrect) to simply label their actions as a 'suicide attempt' instead of offering a distinction based on the facts and the individual in question.
Reply 71
a girl i know has “attempted suicide” many times. at first, many people were concerned, she got therapy etc and made strides towards improvement. however, months after, when she was fresh out of recovery and her therapist deemed her stable enough to not see her anymore, people payed her less attention. random people didnt come over to her to ask how she was anymore, she wasnt the main topic of conversations anymore, and she wasnt given special treatment in class anymore. it was easy to tell this frustrated her, and she started doing many things that would be considered attention seeking, like spreading rumours, causing drama and lashing out at people for no reason. she’d also post things on her snapchat about how she didnt have any friends (she did) and how everyone was so fake to her (they werent). eventually, she tried to take her life again. she stood on top of a car park complex, and i was on the phone to her, crying and beginning her to come down. she did come down, and i cried for weeks about it. she was my friend and i was so scared. but, as what happened before, the world moved on after time. the cycle repeated, and she found herself in hospital from an overdose. the thing that bugged me, however, was the fact that she kept live posting what she was doing on snapchat, with things like “so samaritans call the hospital when you tell them you’ve overdosed ugh” and “i have to stay overnight for another check up what the hell :/“ as if it was a detention from an annoying teacher. the other thing was that the dosage she had taken this time was lower than the failed attempt the first time. she knew the amount she’d taken would not do any major damage, so why take the pills? why worry the people who cared about you? why repeat the cycle?
Original post by Rybee
Every week I flick through the online news for a bit of social & current affairs news, and every single week I see a 'celebrity' in a suicide bid attempt:

'Maria Fowler in Suspected Suicide Attempt' clicky.

And last week I saw this:
'Mario Falcone Attempted Suicide' clicky.

And the week before last week I saw this:
'Paris Jackson's Suicide Attempt' clicky

And the week before that week I saw this:
'Stephen Fry Reveals Suicide Attempt' clicky

Now the amount of suicide attempts that I read about vs suicide deaths outweighs them dozens to one. I do suffer from quite severe unipolar depression so I can genuinely relate to suicidal thoughts and motives.

I believe that if it is committed in a thoughtful manner, i.e. not splatting yourself on the windscreen of an oncoming train to scar that driver for the rest of their life, that it's okay. If you are in so much distress in your life that you think suicide is truly the best option then I have no qualms with those that do it for the right reasons. Nobody opts in for life, and for some people, opting out of life is in their best interest.

But frankly, I do actually get quite offended and irritated by those who make suicide attempts, with no absolutely no intention whatsoever in actually seeing it through. I can't help that most 'failed attempts', particularly when there are multiple, 'failed attempts' that it is just a cry for attention. I think it's insulting to those who consider suicide to be a very realistic option.

What're your thoughts on attempted suicide bids? Genuine intention, or seeking attention?

I think in a lot of cases, the answer is both. I suffer with depression and anxiety. I have reoccurring thoughts of suicide and self-harm. I can see the thinking behind what you've said. If someone was going to kill themselves, they wouldn't do it in a way which placed uncertainty or "risk" of failing - hence "attempt" not "death". I do, however, wonder if someone with genuine intention would try to kill themselves in such a way in hope of being proved wrong. Someone stopping them for example?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending