The Student Room Group

Physical disablity at Uni

I've just started looking at universities for 2014 but I have a physical disability meaning I cant walk very fast and cant do a lot of things, and im worried about how its going to affect my social life at uni.
I have an older brother who started uni a few years ago and he said he made a lot of his friends in freshers week.
I know that i definitely couldnt cope with going out every night of freshers week, and not even sure if i would be able to go out for one night!
Im also worried because it has been really hard to make friends in school, and although i now have a really nice group of friends, it takes a while for quite a lot of people to get over any awkwardness about my disability.
Any advice or experience would be really great.
Im also thinking of using a mobility scooter at uni, as i use one at school now. But im not sure if it would be practical in halls etc.
Hi I have a physical disability at uni - can only walk using two crutches... I couldn't go out at all during freshers but I made sure I went to the events I could do (there were things like board games afternoons and film nights and a BBQ etc...) I've had no problem with making friends and the fact that I don't go out clubbing with them doesn't really make a difference. Plus there are a lot of people at uni who either don't or only occasionally go out clubbing. I haven't been staying in halls but I know at my uni they have rooms in the normal halls and normal flats that are on the ground floor and are slightly bigger with a slightly wider corridor and a bigger ensuite with a bath in and accessible in whatever way it needs to be, so that the disabled student has a completely accessible room but is not isolated or separated from 'normal students'. I wouldn't worry about it as generally by the time people are at uni they have matured and don't make a big deal per disabilities - my friends even say they forget I have mine even though I walk slow and with crutches.
Feel free to ask any specific questions. :redface:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I also need to walk with 2 crutches and had this on my mind too. I also have the added pressure of living off campus in my own accommodation. I'm worried that this will mean that I miss out on a lot of uni activities. In one way this will mean I'll give studying more focus but I wanted to attend uni for the whole experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending