The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan for distance learning

I have applied to study at the Open University starting in October. When I originally applied to study at Arden University I had a maintenance loan approved. However, the OU is classed as part-time study even though I will be studying a 120 credits at full-time intensity.

I have ADHD so I've applied for DSA and submitted all evidence requested. I have also applied for a maintenance loan but I have been asked for further evidence as to why I need to be a distance learner. I feel like I'm being made to jump through hoops to prove my disability, how is the evidence for DSA not enough? No universities told me I couldn't study with them due to my disability, the decision to be a distance learner came through discussions with me and the consultant I'm under for my condition and knowing myself how much I struggled in school and college due to distractions.

I feel SFE are creating unnecessary barriers for people like me, it feels degrading to have to submit this level of personal information for a maintenance loan compared with 'normal' people.

It was a huge decision for me to decide to go back into education and I will not be able to support myself without the loan. Does anyone have any advice for the application please?

Thanks

Mia
Reply 1
Original post by miadelaney
I have applied to study at the Open University starting in October. When I originally applied to study at Arden University I had a maintenance loan approved. However, the OU is classed as part-time study even though I will be studying a 120 credits at full-time intensity.

I have ADHD so I've applied for DSA and submitted all evidence requested. I have also applied for a maintenance loan but I have been asked for further evidence as to why I need to be a distance learner. I feel like I'm being made to jump through hoops to prove my disability, how is the evidence for DSA not enough? No universities told me I couldn't study with them due to my disability, the decision to be a distance learner came through discussions with me and the consultant I'm under for my condition and knowing myself how much I struggled in school and college due to distractions.

I feel SFE are creating unnecessary barriers for people like me, it feels degrading to have to submit this level of personal information for a maintenance loan compared with 'normal' people.

It was a huge decision for me to decide to go back into education and I will not be able to support myself without the loan. Does anyone have any advice for the application please?

Thanks

Mia

Hi Mia,

To be entitled to a Maintenance Loan you need to show that you're studying distance learning due to a disability. In this case, this evidence is slightly different than what you've provided for DSA.

For example, we need to see a letter from a professional person (like a doctor or tutor) confirming that your condition prevents you from physically attending university, and that distance learning is your only option.

Once you have something like this you can upload it to your account and this will then be reviewed by our assessors.

Thanks, Graeme

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
I am just waiting for a call back from an SFE manager about this exact topic on behalf of my son.
Our doctors are refusing to write a letter stating open uni is his only option because they have no evidence of this! He was diagnosed with autism at 12. Once diagnosed we have not seen any professionals related to it, you're just left to get on with it!
He has applied for 3 modules to start in October, definitely not part time. He has tried 'normal' uni and could not cope with the travel, noise, size, different lecture rooms, lecturers the list goes on. Surely this information from the person it affects is.enough.
I do not see what the difference of him studying this at a 'normal' uni is compared to distance learning?
His friend is the same age, doing same course, living at home, not working gets a maintenence loan, no questions asked because he atte ds the local uni, how is this not discriminatory?
Original post by Frustrated mum
I am just waiting for a call back from an SFE manager about this exact topic on behalf of my son.
Our doctors are refusing to write a letter stating open uni is his only option because they have no evidence of this! He was diagnosed with autism at 12. Once diagnosed we have not seen any professionals related to it, you're just left to get on with it!
He has applied for 3 modules to start in October, definitely not part time. He has tried 'normal' uni and could not cope with the travel, noise, size, different lecture rooms, lecturers the list goes on. Surely this information from the person it affects is.enough.
I do not see what the difference of him studying this at a 'normal' uni is compared to distance learning?
His friend is the same age, doing same course, living at home, not working gets a maintenence loan, no questions asked because he atte ds the local uni, how is this not discriminatory?

Hi there,

These are rules and regulations in place when it comes to funding. In terms of Open University learning the only option for the maintenance loan is if a student is studying distance learning and has evidence of this. This likely would be the reason their friend gets the funding if they are physically attending a university. We're unable to access accounts on this platform but if you've spoken to a manager they'll advise further regarding this. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending