The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

uea student support

how good is the student support at uea?
i’m autistic and have problems with anxiety and i’m struggling to decide between a more local uni and uea (which is a few hours away). so i was wondering if anyone could tell me how good the student support is (disability support/wellbeing/academic support) at uea to help me with my decision?
Original post by Anonymous #1
i’m autistic and have problems with anxiety and i’m struggling to decide between a more local uni and uea (which is a few hours away). so i was wondering if anyone could tell me how good the student support is (disability support/wellbeing/academic support) at uea to help me with my decision?

Hi there,

It is great that you are considering UEA for your studies!

UEA is committed to inclusive study so that everyone can get involved with student and academic life. There is a specific team at UEA - Student Services that offer a support service for all students with a disability (physical, mental or a specific learning difficulties. There are many ways that the team can help you, from workshops and group sessions, one-to-one appointments, self-help resources and online support, and help with accessing external support. Feel free to get in touch with the team at [email protected] or you could complete the following form so the team understands how to best assist you: https://app.geckoform.com/public/#/modern/21FO0097qrjvje00i0n35bhlza.

I hope this helps,

Daniel
PhD in Biology
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

From someone who also has autism and anxiety it was pretty awful. You’re going to need to reach out independently over and over again to make any progress toward getting Accomodations put in place after the year starts so if you do go make sure you’re in contact with the uni beforehand. If you struggle with email formatting or reaching out through emails be very cautious going to UEA as majority of communication and help will be offered over email. Your advisor will make or break UEA for you, they’re your main point of contact but will not contact services for you, services within the UEA also don’t communicate with each other so if you accidentally reach out to the wrong one or need inter-grated support be careful. Some of the staff are neurodivergent, they tend to be the best people there in terms of helping you navigate but others will not understand your difficulties and may even be quite prejudice denying required accommodations or making your life more difficult. Overall I’d be very careful going with the UEA but depending on who your advisor and course lead is it could be really positive experience, there’s an autistic society and the quiet space in the hive is an autistic dream.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending