The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Wearing Long Johns in the Summer because of Social Anxiety

I am male, 23 and always had social anxiety to the point of being a recluse a few years ago, I am no longer a recluse but my life is extremely controlled by my social anxiety and one of the things which I do that I hate (among many other similarly tragic things) is wear 2 pairs of long johns under my trousers all year round, I have done this now for 4 years and it is completely insane I know but because my legs are so skinny/lanky I cannot help it.

If I go out without wearing them I feel so much more anxious and self conscious. I know am one of life's ****ups but the thing is I can't seem to be able to change.

I am having CBT for my anxiety but it is so simple that I feel it is pointless me doing it.

As well as wearing two pairs of long johns, I also apply a self tanner to my face each morning, put concealer over my spots and pluck my eyebrows etc. If I go out without doing these rituals my anxiety sky rockets. I also used to inject myself with Melanotan but got moles so I stopped.

I really hate myself for being like this and doing these things but I can't seem to change, it is so exhausting especially in the summer with 2 pairs of long johns under jeans, as a result I rarely go out and don't enjoy it when I do :frown:

Has anyone else ever done similar things due to their anxeity
Original post by Anonymous
I am male, 23 and always had social anxiety to the point of being a recluse a few years ago, I am no longer a recluse but my life is extremely controlled by my social anxiety and one of the things which I do that I hate (among many other similarly tragic things) is wear 2 pairs of long johns under my trousers all year round, I have done this now for 4 years and it is completely insane I know but because my legs are so skinny/lanky I cannot help it.

If I go out without wearing them I feel so much more anxious and self conscious. I know am one of life's ****ups but the thing is I can't seem to be able to change.

I am having CBT for my anxiety but it is so simple that I feel it is pointless me doing it.

As well as wearing two pairs of long johns, I also apply a self tanner to my face each morning, put concealer over my spots and pluck my eyebrows etc. If I go out without doing these rituals my anxiety sky rockets. I also used to inject myself with Melanotan but got moles so I stopped.

I really hate myself for being like this and doing these things but I can't seem to change, it is so exhausting especially in the summer with 2 pairs of long johns under jeans, as a result I rarely go out and don't enjoy it when I do :frown:

I am the same and didn't know of anyone similar until this. My security item is a long coat, which is by far more inconveniencing than long johns under trousers! I am so crippled by the anxiety that I have been housebound for a good few months, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, but I would like to know how you got over the initial fears to defeat being a recluse?
Reply 2
I am the same and didn't know of anyone similar until this. My security item is a long coat, which is by far more inconveniencing than long johns under trousers! I am so crippled by the anxiety that I have been housebound for a good few months, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice, but I would like to know how you got over the initial fears to defeat being a recluse?

Thank you for your reply. I can't completely remember how I got over being a recluse, and I am not fully cured, but the reason I became a recluse was due to feeling inadequate and having very low self confidence, which evoked massive amounts of anxiety which consequently led to me closing down all friendships and contact with the outside world for so long.

To get to where I am now has been a struggle and I feel I am only halfway there, I started gradually going out each day, to begin with I just walked my dog in quite areas, then I'd visit other towns and cities on my own. I've had jobs on and off over the years, but each job has not gone well and I've taken many steps back. I've also had brief periods of feeling able to do things like go swimming or to the gym. All this has only been possible if I put things in place like plan what times I will go out, what I will wear, ensuring I have my long johns prepared and other stuff, without these safety items I would not have left my house. The hardest thing is that over the past 6 years I've been a massive loner and literally not had one night out, or done anything with friends and this is the hardest thing for me.

If you don't mind me asking What is the reason you don't leave your house, and why is the black coat so important to you?
Reply 3
Hi!
I also wear several layers of long underwear year-round. I don't think it's because of anxiety, but I can't tell you why - it's just a necessity to wear them. If I don't, I feel unwell ...
Reply 4

What about CBT is simple? I've seen various therapists and been doing it for a while myself, and it is very useful but difficult to put to practice when your thoughts are distorted by irrational feelings.

It doesn't work for everyone(so im told) but do make sure you engage with it before you knock it.

Also from a personal standpoint, i thought skinny legs were the norm/cool/fit now? It wasn't long ago that i could go in a shop and despite my waist being ok, my legs were too chunky too fit in any size at the shop...

Not everyone will see you in the same way as yourself, so try not to project your thoughts onto others, as difficult as it may be :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Chris_68
Hi!
I also wear several layers of long underwear year-round. I don't think it's because of anxiety, but I can't tell you why - it's just a necessity to wear them. If I don't, I feel unwell ...

Really?
Thank you for your reply. I can't completely remember how I got over being a recluse, and I am not fully cured, but the reason I became a recluse was due to feeling inadequate and having very low self confidence, which evoked massive amounts of anxiety which consequently led to me closing down all friendships and contact with the outside world for so long.

To get to where I am now has been a struggle and I feel I am only halfway there, I started gradually going out each day, to begin with I just walked my dog in quite areas, then I'd visit other towns and cities on my own. I've had jobs on and off over the years, but each job has not gone well and I've taken many steps back. I've also had brief periods of feeling able to do things like go swimming or to the gym. All this has only been possible if I put things in place like plan what times I will go out, what I will wear, ensuring I have my long johns prepared and other stuff, without these safety items I would not have left my house. The hardest thing is that over the past 6 years I've been a massive loner and literally not had one night out, or done anything with friends and this is the hardest thing for me.

If you don't mind me asking What is the reason you don't leave your house, and why is the black coat so important to you?

Hi, sorry I didn't respond before but this came up in my feed with your recent response so I thought I'd do it now.

I didn't leave my house in my gap year because I'm a diagnosed agoraphobic. That doesn't mean I can't leave my house, but that when I do it is always an unpleasant experience, lots of shaking, uncontrollable breathing and walking. It's rooted in quite a severe social phobia. I had panic attacks in the past but nowadays it just seems to be one unending semi-panic attack if I'm outside. I'm at uni now which as you can imagine is a difficult place to negotiate with this on my back. I do also get lonely but fortunately I tend towards introversion so I can survive without friends, if unhappily. I'm not looking forward to summer. I have no summer clothes and my skinny figure isn't complimented by them.

It sounds like you've made an effort to try to heal though and made some progress, how are things now?
Reply 7
Hi, sorry I didn't respond before but this came up in my feed with your recent response so I thought I'd do it now.

I didn't leave my house in my gap year because I'm a diagnosed agoraphobic. That doesn't mean I can't leave my house, but that when I do it is always an unpleasant experience, lots of shaking, uncontrollable breathing and walking. It's rooted in quite a severe social phobia. I had panic attacks in the past but nowadays it just seems to be one unending semi-panic attack if I'm outside. I'm at uni now which as you can imagine is a difficult place to negotiate with this on my back. I do also get lonely but fortunately I tend towards introversion so I can survive without friends, if unhappily. I'm not looking forward to summer. I have no summer clothes and my skinny figure isn't complimented by them.

It sounds like you've made an effort to try to heal though and made some progress, how are things now?

Thanks for sharing, i feel your pain, I still have panic episodes like yourself and often wonder if I will ever feel secure in myself around people, I often try to accept this might never happen but sometimes the anxiety can get overwhelming if not just a complete burden making a difficult day awful, or a good day difficult. I now work full time and feel heightened anxiety daily, I do have good moments occasionally but I have a constant lingering feeling things will never work out, but I am managing to hold it together.

I work full time in a hospital, study part time education and I take regular exercise though I am being proactive, I still wear long johns and sweat a lot as a result and feel awkward about my appearance, I still don't have a social life and no friendships
Reply 8
Hi!

Really?

Yes, really.
There's been no single day in the past 5 years I didn't wear multiple layers of long underwear under my jeans ...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Bump
I wear long underwear year round. For me it is a fact of life that I wear them. If I don’t wear them I feel chilled even on warm summer days.
(edited 4 years ago)
Bump
I know ... old thread ... but our "need" to wear long underwear is very rare.

My addiction to long underwear (and generally warm clothes) has gotten stronger: I not only wear (layers of) long underwear under my jeans, but I also always wear long sleeves, hoodies, and long underwear on my upper body. It's not something that impedes me from my everyday life - I got used to the layers and the heat - but I know it's strange to wear several layers in hot summer. And when people find out, I come into embarrassing situations ...
Reply 13
There is nothing wrong with wearing layers of long underwear in the summer. I do and am comfortable doing so. I am not embarrassed if others find out that I do.
Reply 14
I do too! I feel the same way you do about wearing long underwear year round!

Original post by Chris_68
Hi!

Latest