The Student Room Group

Do you think homosexuality is genetic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by nyxerebus
Nah, it's not genetic. There has been a lot of research into a supposed 'gay gene' but there isn't one.

There doesn't have to be a 'gay gene' for it to be genetic. A lot of times, phenotypes are expressed from a combination of genes (working together, masking each other etc), thus making it quite difficult to track down what combinations may express a 'tendency to be more homosexual'. And all it has to be is that for there to be a genetic component - there doesn't have to be a gene that says yes or no to homosexuality.

Look up epigenetics for the effect of the environment on genes. That's one possibility.
Original post by shadowdweller
Well, possibly I guess? But what I mean was, they don't fall under sexuality in the same sense as being gay or straight etc.

I'm not saying it's not environmental, I was just questioning the example. Although I'd be interested to know what factors you think affect it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do because a fetish is sexual attraction, like the feeling you get for women, someone will get for feet.

There's a lot of factors,like parenting, child hood memories, they're randon and uncontrollable factors, it's not really something you can pin point and say "this will make her a lesbian."

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by King Kebab
Well, considering two people may be brought up exactly the same way but one may be straight and one may be gay, it leads me to believe that it had absolutely nothing to do with the way people are brought up.

Brought up exactly the same way? I have no idea how you'd determine that unless the two kids were brought up by scientists as an experiment. You can't possibly know all the infinite experiences that make even a twin different from his brother
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by chappers-94
They do because a fetish is sexual attraction, like the feeling you get for women, someone will get for feet.

There's a lot of factors,like parenting, child hood memories, they're randon and uncontrollable factors, it's not really something you can pin point and say "this will make her a lesbian."

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree. But that's besides the point

Yeah, I get that there's not going to be one specific factor. It's just interesting that people who are adamant that it's environmental never suggest any factors that could contribute

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I get that there's not going to be one specific factor. It's just interesting that people who are adamant that it's environmental never suggest any factors that could contribute

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can think of lots of factors: sexual abuse, bullying in school, early rejection by crushes and then there is just plain old choice.
How can it be genetic if gay people can't reproduce :? Surely then the gene would've been wiped out long ago ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But some people have a severe fetish, and it's impossible to get them aroused without them carrying out their fetish.

Okay, say the factor could be something like breastfeeding. If the child wasn't breastfed it turns out gay, as its environmental it's hard to determine the cause. Besides if it's genetic why are children brought up by homosexual parents more likely to be homosexual even if adopted?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by Harrie Lyons
And where is your proof that people are born with it? I'd say all the proof is to the contrary

I'd consider the opinion of a gay person to be somewhat reliable.

I am gay. Being gay is not an environmental thing. Before I go on please realise that if you are not LGBT+ you will not understand because you don't allow yourself to. You are gay from birth. I remember knowing I liked gays since I was about 9 years old - I didn't even know what 'gay' was. In fact, I would say that I didn't like gay people because that's what society fed me.

Most of us are surrounded my homophobes so if this was an environmental thing then wouldn't we be against the idea of being gay because as far as rights, safety and general life goes - it only makes things more difficult.
Original post by JouruKun

I am gay. Being gay is not an environmental thing. Before I go on please realise that if you are not LGBT+ you will not understand because you don't allow yourself to. You are gay from birth. I remember knowing I liked gays since I was about 9 years old - I didn't even know what 'gay' was. In fact, I would say that I didn't like gay people because that's what society fed me.

Most of us are surrounded my homophobes so if this was an environmental thing then wouldn't we be against the idea of being gay because as far as rights, safety and general life goes - it only makes things more difficult.

Saying it's environmental does not make somebody homophobic, getting hit by a car is environmental, does that mean that it was a choice? No....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can think of lots of factors: sexual abuse, bullying in school, early rejection by crushes and then there is just plain old choice.

If we say for arguments sake, that those factors are all accurate - which o really don't think they are, but anyway - what about the people who have experienced none of those?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Al-Mudaari
As genetic as incest, paedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality....

Congratulations in outing yourself as homophobic by even relating homosexuality with any of these three.
Reply 51

Are you a troll or just incredibly uninformed?

Homosexuality has nothing to do with BAD life experiences. Why do you choose BAD life experiences? Why does no one suggest that homosexuality occurs because people had the best childhoods? You have basically been fed the lie that HOMOSEXUALITY is synonymous with everything BAD.

Get a clue.
But some people have a severe fetish, and it's impossible to get them aroused without them carrying out their fetish.

Okay, say the factor could be something like breastfeeding. If the child wasn't breastfed it turns out gay, as its environmental it's hard to determine the cause. Besides if it's genetic why are children brought up by homosexual parents more likely to be homosexual even if adopted?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting point, hadn't considered that

Fair play, I guess environmental would be harder to define. I didn't think that was the case with same-sex parenting, I don't suppose you've got a source for that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure fetishes fall under the category of sexuality.... And scientists have yet to find a gene to suggest otherwise. As I said I believe it's environmental.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a fetish is a sexuality, tell me how someone with a foot fetish can also be straight, gay or bisexual?

If someone has a fetish for brunettes, does that mean they are incapable of feeling attracted to a blonde? No. Because it is simply a fetish. That person is attracted to women in general. But they have a "fetish" for brunettes.

If someone is homosexual, does that mean that they like the opposite sex, but just have a hankering for the same sex? No. clearly, they cannot feel an attraction for the opposite sex.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
As genetic as incest, paedophilia, necrophilia, bestiality....

By the way, heterosexuality is more analogous with pedophilia than homosexuality is. :fyi:
Reply 55
Saying it's environmental does not make somebody homophobic, getting hit by a car is environmental, does that mean that it was a choice? No....

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one would CHOOSE to be gay because it doesn't put you in the best of positions. How come EVERY gay person knows that they were born that way and didn't choose it. It doesn't take a genius to realise that it is not a coincidence.
Original post by JouruKun

I'm sorry but I don't consider your opinion to be reliable, esp. Considering your a boy who isn't even aloud to drive a car and whos convinced himself he's gay: many kids your age who have gay feelings and it stops. Grow up two or three years and then we can talk
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 57

Posted from TSR Mobile

I saw some statistics which showed that children raised by homosexual parents were actually less likely to identify as homosexual when they were older, but it was a tiny difference.

edit: My opinion is that identifying as gay is a cultural thing, and that on the fluid sexual scale, the side closer to exclusive homosexuality is as you describe a 'fetish' in the same way boobs and vaginas are a fetish, and this is likely to be due to environmental factors combined with genes, where I could say, if that person did not have said genes, then those environmental factors would not have led to them becoming gay. I'd like to say that people probably make a unconscious stereotypical guess at these factors, 'hormonal' (extra testosterone in the uterus leads to being gay - shock, we're extra manly?) and I have two brothers and a Dad so I'm not short of a male role model. Homosexual Romance, I think, is more complicated, I think that is mainly genetic because I've been aware of it since an early age, in the same way heterosexual romantic behaviour is 'hard-wired'. In terms of talking about romance and sexuality seperately, I'd say most people have fluid sexualities, and it makes sense that they would, particularly for cultural reasons, shun the sexuality that they do not link with romance (as culturally these are linked, in everything) so its far more likely to see a person who is a practising heterosexual and can only fall in love with opposite gender and a practising homosexual who can only fall in love with the same gender.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
There's very probably a genetic component, but that doesn't mean there aren't other factors too.
Reply 59
I'm sorry but I don't consider your opinion to be reliable, esp. Considering your a boy who isn't even aloud to drive a car and whos convinced himself he's gay

It's a shame that someone who isn't intelligent enough to listen to a gay person about being gay IS allowed to drive a car.

Your foresight is shameful.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending