The Student Room Group

Think i have created a new compound

HEY! I WAS MESSING AROUND IN CHEMDRAW AND I THINK I HAVE MADE A NEW COMPOUND! Can you have a look at the attachment and give me so info?
Original post by ShaneJ
HEY! I WAS MESSING AROUND IN CHEMDRAW AND I THINK I HAVE MADE A NEW COMPOUND! Can you have a look at the attachment and give me so info?

I swear you sound like you're from nigeria and trying to hack into our bank accounts.
Reply 2
Original post by LordVoldemort1
I swear you sound like you're from nigeria and trying to hack into our bank accounts.

hahahaha! no, i am a teen guy who loves chemistry and is not cleaver enough to work out what i made or what it does
What's so special in making a new compound?
People do that every day.
Reply 4
Anyone with a basic grasp on chemistry can come up with a compound, it only became exciting or important if the compound has any particularly useful traits, or you have found a useful synthesis intermediary. Without synthesising the compound yourself it's just another potential and uninteresting chemical
Reply 5
Original post by Youk
Anyone with a basic grasp on chemistry can come up with a compound, it only became exciting or important if the compound has any particularly useful traits, or you have found a useful synthesis intermediary. Without synthesising the compound yourself it's just another potential and uninteresting chemical

The second one can't even exist.
Reply 6
Original post by illusionz

Why can't the second one exist?
Original post by illusionz

Only one? :p:

OP you haven't made them, you've drawn them :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Yeah, good luck with number 2 :rolleyes:
Reply 9
It doesn't require that much knowledge to make a compound but well done. You might want to check the second one though! :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by alex193
Yeah, good luck with number 2 :rolleyes:

Whats up with number 2?
Reply 11
Original post by ShaneJ
Whats up with number 2?

Let's just say your sodium ring isn't going to stick together :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by alex193

I agree, that Sodium ring does look very funky!
Reply 13
Original post by alex193

Original post by haydyb123
I agree, that Sodium ring does look very funky!

What is up with the sodium ring? Is it no possible to make a ring of Na?
Reply 14
Original post by ShaneJ
What is up with the sodium ring? Is it no possible to make a ring of Na?

Well nothing is a certainty in this universe. However, the valence electrons of sodium are the 3s1 orbital. In the molecule you have drawn the sodium atoms have formal negative charges. But as you will know, sodium chemistry is mostly dependent on the loss of that valence electron to form the common Na+ ion.
Reply 15
Original post by haydyb123
Well nothing is a certainty in this universe. However, the valence electrons of sodium are the 3s1 orbital. In the molecule you have drawn the sodium atoms have formal negative charges. But as you will know, sodium chemistry is mostly dependent on the loss of that valence electron to form the common Na+ ion.

*3s orbital. Yes, as well as the issue of the extremely high barrier to sticking those negative charges on a sodium in the first place, trying to bring together all those negatively charged ions is not going to be a fruitful exercise! Impossible on multiple grounds.
Reply 16
The second one seems to be a bit different. Placing negative charge on sodium (highly electro-positive) and bringing the same charged species (negative) together will make it more unstable rather than creating a new compound.

Quick Reply

Latest