The Student Room Group

I spent so much time revising and all for nothing - Computer science (Eduqas)

Hi guys. Basically, I've sat Computer Science AS comp 1 (Eduqas) a few days ago and I feel that I have not done well. It felt like they have changed the exam structure and introduced some completely new questions (for example, delete a record question, like wtf). Some of the questions in the exam weren't even covered during lessons or by the Cambridge textbook (or marked as a second year content, lol). Eduqas have notorious problem of having no ******* revision materials relevant to exam questions (Except for the past papers, obviously). Essentially, I learnt all the mark schemes from past papers and read the Cambridge wjec/eduqas textbook. The Cambridge book turned out to be of no use, lol. Literally watery water and often they didn't even bother to use mark schemes' answers to explain topics. I would not be complaining if eduqas exams weren't just a memorisation game and actually used some common sense🫠 To be honest I quiet relied on Computer Science and planned to take it to A2 as I've always been getting As and Bs. Now idk. There will be comp 2 on Monday. I am terrified and I just ******* hope they won't change the usual "fix a form, create a new form, write linear search etc" to something different. I also do ICT BTEC extended certificate, which I am likely to take to A2 instead of CS. What are your thoughts on comp 1? Did you find it hard? For some reason, I couldn't find a discussion on this topic.
Reply 1
Original post by morning_bell
Hi guys. Basically, I've sat Computer Science AS comp 1 (Eduqas) a few days ago and I feel that I have not done well. It felt like they have changed the exam structure and introduced some completely new questions (for example, delete a record question, like wtf). Some of the questions in the exam weren't even covered during lessons or by the Cambridge textbook (or marked as a second year content, lol). Eduqas have notorious problem of having no ******* revision materials relevant to exam questions (Except for the past papers, obviously). Essentially, I learnt all the mark schemes from past papers and read the Cambridge wjec/eduqas textbook. The Cambridge book turned out to be of no use, lol. Literally watery water and often they didn't even bother to use mark schemes' answers to explain topics. I would not be complaining if eduqas exams weren't just a memorisation game and actually used some common sense🫠 To be honest I quiet relied on Computer Science and planned to take it to A2 as I've always been getting As and Bs. Now idk. There will be comp 2 on Monday. I am terrified and I just ******* hope they won't change the usual "fix a form, create a new form, write linear search etc" to something different. I also do ICT BTEC extended certificate, which I am likely to take to A2 instead of CS. What are your thoughts on comp 1? Did you find it hard? For some reason, I couldn't find a discussion on this topic.

I did the WJEC board exam which I am not sure is the same. I think they are, correct me if I'm wrong. They did a similar thing in the exam but luckily it was only a 3-marker. My exam, personally was not relatively complex, and I would say it was easy enough. But I don't think you should worry that much, the grade boundaries are usually low, as it's usually about a mid-60 for an A. So don't stress too much about it, it'll be fine. And if all else fails next year's still there and you can take the exam again
Reply 2
Original post by iamour
I did the WJEC board exam which I am not sure is the same. I think they are, correct me if I'm wrong. They did a similar thing in the exam but luckily it was only a 3-marker. My exam, personally was not relatively complex, and I would say it was easy enough. But I don't think you should worry that much, the grade boundaries are usually low, as it's usually about a mid-60 for an A. So don't stress too much about it, it'll be fine. And if all else fails next year's still there and you can take the exam again

Yea, Eduqas is part of WJEC. As I understand, Eduqas is for England and WJEC is for Wales only. Sadly, we got quiet a few completely new questions/topics and I think in total it will be worth ~20-25 marks (I might be wrong because I was just so stressed and forgot a lot of questions). I attempted those questions but at times my mind went completely blank. Some questions were so f-ing vague like???????? But anyway, I hope that comp 2 goes well tomorrow and they won't bring up anything new. Good luck!
Reply 3
Yea, Eduqas is part of WJEC. As I understand, Eduqas is for England and WJEC is for Wales only. Sadly, we got quiet a few completely new questions/topics and I think in total it will be worth ~20-25 marks (I might be wrong because I was just so stressed and forgot a lot of questions). I attempted those questions but at times my mind went completely blank. Some questions were so f-ing vague like???????? But anyway, I hope that comp 2 goes well tomorrow and they won't bring up anything new. Good luck!

How was your comp sci unit 2? Also what was your entity relationship diagram looking like?
Reply 4
Original post by iamour
How was your comp sci unit 2? Also what was your entity relationship diagram looking like?

Hi! It was much better than comp 1! To clarify that we are on the same page, eduqas had the "springzone" scenario. There was many to many (an adult has at least 1 child and 1 child has at least 1 parent) relationship that I resolved. In the end, I got adult table that was connected to child+adult table (compound key) with one to many and child table that connected to the child+adult table using one to many. Other questions were very easy, especially the pseudocode one. What about you? What do you think of comp 2?
Reply 5
Hi! It was much better than comp 1! To clarify that we are on the same page, eduqas had the "springzone" scenario. There was many to many (an adult has at least 1 child and 1 child has at least 1 parent) relationship that I resolved. In the end, I got adult table that was connected to child+adult table (compound key) with one to many and child table that connected to the child+adult table using one to many. Other questions were very easy, especially the pseudocode one. What about you? What do you think of comp 2?

I think the scenarios was different mine had a park theme, I did a many to many relationship between the Trips and Passengers (One passenger can book many trips and a trip can be booked by many passenger), I got a trip table that was connected to a passenger table, but I am not to sure because my brother who also took the exam did a trip+booking+passenger, which confused me because I didn't see booking anywhere. But it was really easy. We were asked to code in python and annotate and complete some code. But to be honest it was really easy
Reply 6
Anyone here remember what the section c questions were for AQA AS paper 1?

Quick Reply

Latest