The Student Room Group

Would light weights be enough to maintain muscle mass?

Lets say if I eat at maintenance calories and protein and hit each muscle twice a week with light weights will this be enough to maintain muscle mass?
Reply 1
Maintain yes. Build new muscle... Maybe?

You need to provide a strong enough stimulus to grow your muscles. This means if you do 10 reps in one session, you need to do 11 next session, 12 next... you get the idea.

Eating at maintenance is a good option if you wanna maintain muscle mass. Light weights probably won't provide much of a stimulus though so I recommend you get access to more weights IF you want to BUILD new muscle.

Just sleep well, train hard and eat clean.
Reply 2
Original post by TheYahya
Maintain yes. Build new muscle... Maybe?

You need to provide a strong enough stimulus to grow your muscles. This means if you do 10 reps in one session, you need to do 11 next session, 12 next... you get the idea.

Eating at maintenance is a good option if you wanna maintain muscle mass. Light weights probably won't provide much of a stimulus though so I recommend you get access to more weights IF you want to BUILD new muscle.

Just sleep well, train hard and eat clean.

My goal is to maintain muscle mass
Reply 3
Using light weights can be effective for maintaining muscle mass, especially if you are currently at a fitness level where lifting heavier weights may not be appropriate or if you have an injury or medical condition that requires you to use lighter weights. While lifting heavier weights is generally considered more effective for building muscle mass, using lighter weights can still provide a good workout and help you maintain your muscle mass.
To make the most of using lighter weights, you can perform more repetitions (i.e., higher volume) to challenge your muscles and create the stimulus needed for them to adapt and maintain their size and strength. Additionally, incorporating exercises that target multiple muscle groups (e.g., compound exercises such as squats, lunges, push-ups, and pull-ups) can be more efficient in terms of maximizing muscle activation and time spent in the gym.
It's also important to note that maintaining muscle mass isn't just about lifting weights. A well-rounded exercise program that includes cardio, flexibility, and balance training, as well as a healthy diet, can also help you maintain your muscle mass and overall fitness.
how light is light
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Angry cucumber
how light is light

Let's say 3 sets 10 - 12 reps.
Original post by Agent456
Let's say 3 sets 10 - 12 reps.

How many RIR
Original post by Agent456
Lets say if I eat at maintenance calories and protein and hit each muscle twice a week with light weights will this be enough to maintain muscle mass?

To maintain in any case, to build new muscles I would use heavier weights to lift.

Quick Reply

Latest