The Student Room Group

Independent Classics A-level

Just wondering if anyone can help me!

I graduated from a Classics Single Honours course this year but despite the title, I didn't really do much history-related stuff: my focus was very much on Latin and Greek, to the point that my only modules in 3rd year were Latin/Greek verse and prose, and the dissertation module. I wanted to do a PGCE but didn't get in, unfortunately. Cambridge suggested I do a Classics/Class Civ A-level, or an Open University module, to brush up on my general Classics knowledge.

My questions are whether the A-level or Open University would be best and also if I did go the A-level route, how difficult that would be to pull off, and how I even go about doing an A-level independently! I do think I could handle the material, especially since I did a degree, but opinions and advice would be welcome!
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Hi,
I studied A level classics independently and got an A* in it so it is certainly doable! I'm currently putting together a website consisting of comprehensive notes, links, sample essays and resources for the various modules of the OCR classics specification (starting with the ones I studied) - not quite ready for public viewing yet, but it's getting there!

Feel free to pm me if I can help in any way.
Original post by Heliocentric
Hi,
I studied A level classics independently and got an A* in it so it is certainly doable! I'm currently putting together a website consisting of comprehensive notes, links, sample essays and resources for the various modules of the OCR classics specification (starting with the ones I studied) - not quite ready for public viewing yet, but it's getting there!

I'd be very interested in seeing it when it's live (I'm thinking of applying for a PGCE too so knowing more about the school courses, which I didn't do, would be great) - any chance of a link here when it is?

OP: your best bet is to call around local sixth form colleges to get some advice from them regarding costs, logistics etc. I haven't done independent A levels but I did do history in a year with minimal teacher contact as I was ill and that was doable at 17/18, so I'm sure you'd be more than capable of doing an A level on your own after having done a degree.

It might also be worth checking out the mature students forum on here, as I'm sure people there will have some good advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Heliocentric
Hi,

I'd really love to see that when it's up! Mostly I'm just wondering to get materials from and that sounds like it'd be perfect :smile:

Original post by Aemiliana
OP: your best bet is to call around local sixth form colleges to get some advice from them regarding costs, logistics etc. I haven't done independent A levels but I did do history in a year with minimal teacher contact as I was ill and that was doable at 17/18, so I'm sure you'd be more than capable of doing an A level on your own after having done a degree.

It might also be worth checking out the mature students forum on here, as I'm sure people there will have some good advice.

Completely missed the mature student forum, I'll give that a proper look! I've had a look for local colleges online already, not many offer Classics where I am, the nearest is a train journey away I think but yeah, nothing stopping me from asking their advice.

Thanks for both your responses!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending