The Student Room Group

Official Classics Applicant Thread 2024 Entry

Are you applying to study Classics at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Random question:

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,

I was wandering if Durham does a solely classics course? Because whenever I research it, it comes up with classics and ancient history. Also, what other universities classics courses don’t require to have A level or GCSE Latin or Greek.?

I currently want to apply for the Classics II course at Oxford, and Classics else where like St Andrews or Edinburgh (if they do it) as they do not need A levels in Greek or Latin so can learn from beginner level.

My GCSEs are 667777788,
Though I am worried as one of the 6s was in English Language, I do have French as a 7 However.

My A level UCAS grades are A*A*A and hopefully I can persuade my teacher to give me an A* instead of an A in classical civilisations as I got a A* in the mock.
Original post by hopeful-student
Hiya,

I was wandering if Durham does a solely classics course? Because whenever I research it, it comes up with classics and ancient history. Also, what other universities classics courses don’t require to have A level or GCSE Latin or Greek.?

I currently want to apply for the Classics II course at Oxford, and Classics else where like St Andrews or Edinburgh (if they do it) as they do not need A levels in Greek or Latin so can learn from beginner level.

My GCSEs are 667777788,
Though I am worried as one of the 6s was in English Language, I do have French as a 7 However.

My A level UCAS grades are A*A*A and hopefully I can persuade my teacher to give me an A* instead of an A in classical civilisations as I got a A* in the mock.

Durham has a BA in Classics, see here https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/courses/classics-q801/
Reply 3
hello!! I’m applying to Classics (with Greek) at Oxford, Durham, Manchester, Nottingham, and Liverpool.

I got 78888999 at GCSE and I’m predicted an A*A*A in English Literature, Classical Civ, and Art. I’ve never studied Latin or Greek, so that eliminates a lot of universities, and I want to focus on just Greek (for now), which eliminates a lot more :smile:
Reply 4
Hi I'm Maddy!!

I'm applying to mostly classical civ courses, with one ancient history course (Exeter) and CAAH (Oxford)

I'm applying to Oxford, Durham, Exeter, Warwick and Nottingham

I've been predicted 3 A*s and I take English Lit, Classical Civ and Textiles as well as an EPQ in Modern History

My GCSEs are 9999999887

I put my application in last week and I'm already obsessively checking my UCAS...

I kind of regret applying to classical civ in most places over ancient history but most unis offer flexibility w/ classics modules so hopefully I can do more ancient history wherever possible!
Reply 5
Original post by cinmnsoul
Hi I'm Maddy!!

I'm applying to mostly classical civ courses, with one ancient history course (Exeter) and CAAH (Oxford)

I've been predicted 3 A*s and I take English Lit, Classical Civ and Textiles as well as an EPQ in Modern History

My GCSEs are 9999999887

I put my application in last week and I'm already obsessively checking my UCAS...

I kind of regret applying to classical civ in most places over ancient history but most unis offer flexibility w/ classics modules so hopefully I can do more ancient history wherever possible!

wow, we do quite similar a-levels!!
Reply 6
Any overall thoughts on the Oxford CAT? How did everybody do? I'm super scared and I might've screwed it up
Reply 7
Original post by CrispyTako
Any overall thoughts on the Oxford CAT? How did everybody do? I'm super scared and I might've screwed it up

I did the CLAT, and I found it quite good!! Just that my computer crashed right after so hopefully my results went in haha
Hi there!!!

I'm applying for all pure classics courses with predicted grades AAA in Classical civ, English language and history, with a grade C in Latin AS (done completely independently.)
I got 77788888999 at gcse and am applying to Cambridge (4year), Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Birmingham.

I was just wondering if, with interviews and with studying, will they focus on the ancient languages much, and if they do, can I choose which one they talk about?? I love Latin but feel more confident in Ancient Greek (which I took at GCSE). Will there be a choice to say what I prefer or will I have to talk about/focus on both??
Reply 9
Original post by Empress_lunar
Hi there!!!

I'm applying for all pure classics courses with predicted grades AAA in Classical civ, English language and history, with a grade C in Latin AS (done completely independently.)
I got 77788888999 at gcse and am applying to Cambridge (4year), Durham, Nottingham, Bristol and Birmingham.

I was just wondering if, with interviews and with studying, will they focus on the ancient languages much, and if they do, can I choose which one they talk about?? I love Latin but feel more confident in Ancient Greek (which I took at GCSE). Will there be a choice to say what I prefer or will I have to talk about/focus on both??

I’m not sure about Cambridge, but a student at Oxford told me they asked her to choose a topic she wanted to talk about, and then asked her questions from there.
Reply 10
hey!!!

i’m applying for classics and german where possible at cambridge, bristol, UCL, liverpool and edinburgh!!

i’m doing latin (independently), french, german and maths with A*A*AA predicted and an EPQ in greek tragedy :smile:
Original post by OVD
hey!!!

i’m applying for classics and german where possible at cambridge, bristol, UCL, liverpool and edinburgh!!

i’m doing latin (independently), french, german and maths with A*A*AA predicted and an EPQ in greek tragedy :smile:

Good luck! If you have any questions about Liverpool, let me know!
Original post by Empress_lunar
Hi there!!!

I’m also applying for the 4 year Cambridge latin!! What college have you applied to? I did. Open application and was assigned Murray Edwards.
Original post by username_66
I’m also applying for the 4 year Cambridge latin!! What college have you applied to? I did. Open application and was assigned Murray Edwards.

I applied open application too and got Trinity Hall.
Reply 14
Hi I'm Maddy!!

My GCSEs are 9999999887

Received Warwick and Nottingham offers for class civ!!!!
Have people received many offers yet? I completed my application late September and haven't heard anything yet.

I have applied to Durham, Exeter, Warwick, Leeds and Royal Holloway with A*A*A.
Original post by Dragonfly28
Have people received many offers yet? I completed my application late September and haven't heard anything yet.

A lot of those unis are notorious for taking their time with offers (especially in the humanities sections). I haven’t received an offer from Durham yet (they take up to 2 months).
Received Warwick and Nottingham offers for class civ!!!!

ayy fellow Nottingham classics offer holder!!
Reply 18
Original post by Dragonfly28

durham is always the last hold out don't worry. I know a couple ppl who have got English Exeter offers but none for classics yet
Yeah I’ve heard that Durham leave it really late so I’m not worried about that.

I know that some of the unis have given out places for other subjects, so I was just wondering whether they had given out any ones for classics yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending