The Student Room Group

A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic?

A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic? [INDENT] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_-qg-upJs

If he was born straight and then this stroke happened, THEN he had some of his wires crossed so to speak and now he is gay, doesn't this prove it isn't genetic after all?

They might be able to find a cure for gayness from this occurrence? whatever the inverse effect of a stroke is. so another stroke will make the gay straight [/INDENT]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The stuff that's on TV nowadays...
Reply 2
I could feel myself becoming dumber just from watching that video.
Reply 3
Who said he wasn't thinking about gay thoughts before and now after a near death experience he's decided to act on those thoughts?
It's like cancer. (Not in terms of it being an illness, to clarify, otherwise I'd be ravaged by it, but let me explain). Cancer has many different contributory causes, some of them hereditary, some of them to do with upbringing/lifestyle, some of them to just do with how your wires ended up. Similar situation with being gay/bi/etcetera. I'd imagine it's different for every person, so they couldn't just make a straightforward 'cure'. Plus it's not a disease, so it doesn't need curing. Plus they're never going to 'give people a stroke in the right area' to see if it turns them straight, and people would never agree to it anyway...

All this has proved is that the characteristic of being gay lies in the hardwired sections of your brain (like other personality traits) so it's not a choice.

And I hope the guy manages to get better without getting bombarded by the media!
Reply 5
Original post by Jam198
A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_-qg-upJs

If he was born straight and then this stroke happened, THEN he had some of his wires crossed so to speak and now he is gay, doesn't this prove it isn't genetic after all?

They might be able to find a cure for gayness from this occurrence? whatever the inverse effect of a stroke is. so another stroke will make the gay straight

If one person is born with two heads, does that mean all humans are born with 2 heads?
Reply 6
Yeah, right.
Reply 7
Brain damage. If you drop a chainsaw on your leg, that doesn't prove that the number of legs you have is genetic.

Why would we want to find a "cure for gayness"? It's not a disease, and I doubt you'd get many takers.
Original post by Jam198
A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic? [INDENT] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_-qg-upJs

They might be able to find a cure for gayness from this occurrence? whatever the inverse effect of a stroke is. so another stroke will make the gay straight [/INDENT]

Sorry what? A cure? Its not a disease! Even if a 'cure' could be made, I don't know any self respecting homosexual/bisexual that would want to be 'cured'. Sickening. It's a part of what makes them who they are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _anyawalsh
Sorry what? A cure? Its not a disease! Even if a 'cure' could be made, I don't know any self respecting homosexual/bisexual that would want to be 'cured'. Sickening. It's a part of what makes them who they are

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly!

Also OP-
3sxch7.jpg
Reply 10
er.. conditions have different causes. this doesn't prove it's not genetic.
my pastor told me dat when u have a stroke or nightmare that us when satan/lucifer is trying to corrupt ur mind. I guess this proofs it :/
Reply 12
if genetics makes you gay it would do it by influenceing brain structure and function during development. you know what else can influence brain structure and function? a stroke. saying this proves people are not born gay is like saying a guy getting blinded by acid proves people can't be born blind
Original post by c.a1979
er.. conditions have different causes. this doesn't prove it's not genetic.

Being gay isn't a "condition". If you followed that logic, being straight is a "condition" too.
Original post by genuinelydense
my pastor told me dat when u have a stroke or nightmare that us when satan/lucifer is trying to corrupt ur mind. I guess this proofs it :/

I don't think this story even remotely proves that statement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jam198

I haven't watched the video, but surely a stroke "causing" it would suggest a biological cause? So it certainly wouldn't disprove the notion that some people could be born with a biological homosexuality.
Reply 16
Didn't watch the video, but maybe he already had a dormant gay side which was somehow awakened by his stroke on a biological level.
Or maybe the traumatic event of a stroke somehow brought to consciousness his repressed homosexual desires that he didn't allow himself to feel before.
It doesn't really answer anything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by genuinelydense

Man, I must have missed that section in the Bible.
Reply 18
Traits can be caused by your environment as well as your genes. Being gay is quite possibly a mixture of the two. You'd think being tall was all genetic, but then if for some reason you grew up in a very cramped space, or you were deficient in a vital vitamin or mineral, it's likely you'd be shorter than you might otherwise have been. This one person's rather questionable story doesn't prove anything. Being gay isn't something that can be cured, for christ's sake.
Original post by Jam198
A stroke turned this guy gay, so it isn't genetic? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR_-qg-upJs

They might be able to find a cure for gayness from this occurrence? whatever the inverse effect of a stroke is. so another stroke will make the gay straight

I think it's possible. I've heard about a man who had a motorbike crash, hit his head and woke up gay. However I think homosexuality is genetic and can't be helped. I think some people might take offence especially when you referred it as a 'cure for gayness'. Being gay isn't a bad thing, it makes a person who they are and is completely natural as proven by animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending