The Student Room Group

NHS Scientist Training Programme (STP) 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrancesBW7
I got 36.75! xx

Wow you weren't far off then (not sure if that makes it easier or not lol!) - what were your location choices? I wonder if people had very similar scores (hence the .25, .75 etc in the scores). But at least you know you were close, and next year you'll at least know what to expect at interview etc. best of luck to you :smile:
Reply 981
Original post by stressed2014
Are there any people who got offers for Genomics here? I just want to find out if there is any hope of an upgrade for me, or whether I should just cancel the automatic upgrade and prepare to move.

Not sure if this helps but I got offered a place in Birmingham for Genomics, it was my 2nd choice, Liverpool was my top choice so i've opted for upgrades in case that comes up.
Original post by WelshLassEmmaLou
Wow you weren't far off then (not sure if that makes it easier or not lol!) - what were your location choices? I wonder if people had very similar scores (hence the .25, .75 etc in the scores). But at least you know you were close, and next year you'll at least know what to expect at interview etc. best of luck to you :smile:

Yeah I was actually really happy to hear my ranking of 29 and to find out I was quite close with my score! It just made me feel better that I performed well even though I was unsuccessful and it shows I have a good chance for next time :smile:

I chose Nottingham, Birmingham and Leicester! My bf is doing a phd in Notts for the next 4 years, so I was hoping to stay nearby!

Thank you! Good luck to you too and well done! :biggrin:
Original post by kellyegg
Not sure if this helps but I got offered a place in Birmingham for Genomics, it was my 2nd choice, Liverpool was my top choice so i've opted for upgrades in case that comes up.

Birmingham was my first choice, Liverpool 2nd, and Leeds 3rd.

After being told that I ranked 8th and there are 9 posts, I think that I should just accept the fact that I will not be able to get any of my choices.

Having said that, do you know what rank you were assigned?
Reply 984

After being told that I ranked 8th and there are 9 posts, I think that I should just accept the fact that I will not be able to get any of my choices.

I sent an e-mail yesterday asking for my score but they haven't responded yet :frown: I didn't think they were giving out ranks!

I'm not sure how much movement there will be but as people had to respond within 48 hours I think we'll probably hear within the next couple of days.

Where is your current offer for? Do you know where our uni will be?

I know that Sheffield wasn't one of your choices but I was offered Sheffield for both genetics and genomics and accepted genetics. If someone ranked higher upgrades and gets sheffield there may still be a chance you get upgraded too.
Original post by kellyegg
I sent an e-mail yesterday asking for my score but they haven't responded yet :frown: I didn't think they were giving out ranks!

I'm not sure how much movement there will be but as people had to respond within 48 hours I think we'll probably hear within the next couple of days.

Where is your current offer for? Do you know where our uni will be?

My current offer is in Exeter, and we will be at the Uni of Manchester
Original post by Geneticsguy12
I know that Sheffield wasn't one of your choices but I was offered Sheffield for both genetics and genomics and accepted genetics. If someone ranked higher upgrades and gets sheffield there may still be a chance you get upgraded too.

Wow, Congrats on being offered both of your choices! You have just given me hope for an upgrade.Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 988
Wow, Congrats on being offered both of your choices! You have just given me hope for an upgrade.Thanks

I was offered Liverpool for both genetics and genomics and I opted for genetics

So Liverpool genomics should be available to someone for an upgrade

Also means someone on reserve list should get a job

Congrats to all successful and commiserations to those who weren't! I've just emailed requesting my scores and ranks so will let ppl know
Original post by Swaleyman
I was offered Liverpool for both genetics and genomics and I opted for genetics

So Liverpool genomics should be available to someone for an upgrade

Also means someone on reserve list should get a job

Congrats to all successful and commiserations to those who weren't! I've just emailed requesting my scores and ranks so will let ppl know

Congrats to you too, and thanks for letting us know about Liverpool.
Hi guys, does anyone know if there is parking provided by St Andrews Stadium or did people park elsewhere? Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 991
Original post by emmar_1989
Hi guys, does anyone know if there is parking provided by St Andrews football club or did people park elsewhere? Thanks

Hi,

There is plenty of parking at the football club. There is one smaller car park (which was was quite empty when I went) and then a very large main car park right next to it. You should have no trouble parking.

There are also a few shops across the road from the football club.
Original post by sam92
Hi,

There is plenty of parking at the football club. There is one smaller car park (which was was quite empty when I went) and then a very large main car park right next to it. You should have no trouble parking.

There are also a few shops across the road from the football club.

Excellent, thank you sam92!
Original post by emmar_1989
Hi guys, does anyone know if there is parking provided by St Andrews Stadium or did people park elsewhere? Thanks

Yes definitely plenty of car parking there - when I went, the NSHCS lady told me there was hardly any parking, and I'd probably have to walk at least 15 minutes to get to the ground, so was quite surprised to find a really big car park with lots of empty spaces :wink:

The main entrance for the interviews is the Kop entrance (or was for biochem anyway) so the car park is off Cattell Road. That's the easiest one (although there are other car parks around the football stadium too).

Good luck!
Original post by WelshLassEmmaLou
Yes definitely plenty of car parking there - when I went, the NSHCS lady told me there was hardly any parking, and I'd probably have to walk at least 15 minutes to get to the ground, so was quite surprised to find a really big car park with lots of empty spaces :wink:

The main entrance for the interviews is the Kop entrance (or was for biochem anyway) so the car park is off Cattell Road. That's the easiest one (although there are other car parks around the football stadium too).

Good luck!

That's great, thank you so much :smile: I can't imagine anything more stressful before an interview than driving around looking for somewhere to park!
Reply 995
Did anyone get the train to Birmingham? If so how did you get from the City Centre to the stadium and how long did it take? Thanks :smile:
Reply 996
Original post by LuceMoose
Did anyone get the train to Birmingham? If so how did you get from the City Centre to the stadium and how long did it take? Thanks :smile:

I got the train to Birmingham new street station. There's a taxi rank just outside and round the corner (ask someone there for directions) and it took maybe 5 minutes to get to the stadium, was just over £6 as i remember. Afterward I walked back into the city centre with a couple of people and it probably took about 20mins, its not a bad walk and pretty easy to find your way. Personally I'd say its worth getting a taxi there just to make sure you get to the right place on time and everything
Original post by LuceMoose

I got a megabus to birmingham which stops just close to New Street. I walked to the stadium (but i recognise most people find that a little odd) and it took maybe half an hour, not a particularly beautiful walk but simple, not many roads so easy to find you way and means you end up walking past the bullring on your way back which is nice (i had a long time to wait!!)
Car parking is also free, just in case anyone was wondering! :smile:

Is there anyone who has accepted an offer and heard anything since? I know the guidance says it should be handled by the end of June but that seems an awfully long time to wait before getting the ball rolling...

Having worked in several NHS trusts, I know how long it can sometimes take for occupational health clearance, CRB checks, HR checks etc.!
Reply 999
Original post by chipmaestro
Car parking is also free, just in case anyone was wondering! :smile:

Is there anyone who has accepted an offer and heard anything since? I know the guidance says it should be handled by the end of June but that seems an awfully long time to wait before getting the ball rolling...

Having worked in several NHS trusts, I know how long it can sometimes take for occupational health clearance, CRB checks, HR checks etc.!

I've accepted my offer but all I've heard since is the email telling me it's accepted. The hospitals still don't even know we exist because none of the information is passed to them until the start of june when everything is finalised. Offers can still change and be upgraded or declined until near the end of may so nothing can happen until thats all sorted. Is a long wait though and I've also work in the NHS and get what you say about all the HR stuff ahha! Even after june I imagine we'll be sitting around a fair bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending