The Student Room Group

Why do urban English teens copy Americans??

Ive noticed many urban youngsters in London especially, copying the way Americans dress and talk; for example, 'blood, im wavey, word', is are all American slang terms, why do urban London youngsters decide to use these and claim they didn't copy? They wear Chicago Bulls caps, Jordans etc copying Americans, these are all of the urban American culture. Many Americans feel outraged that said youngsters 'beg' the American culture. Im just curios as Im an American now living in London, and these are not the only slang terms copied, literally everything new they see by Americans is copied, its like they have no identity. Do they do this because they want to be American? Ive noticed it is only the urban ones who do this too.

Scroll to see replies

Lmao, these damn urban yoofs.

I'm of the opinion that any skullduggery and anti-social behavior should be clamped down on. These far fetched American trends will only lead to one outcome, trouble, and the sooner this is tackled the better. Bloody teenagers.
Reply 2
Original post by uktotalgamer
Lmao, these damn urban yoofs.

I'm of the opinion that any skullduggery and anti-social behavior should be clamped down on. These far fetched American trends will only lead to one outcome, trouble, and the sooner this is tackled the better. Bloody teenagers.

I agree, its very un-English, but they seem to never admit it.
Reply 3
I highly doubt they're doing it to be American.
I live in London myself and to be honest I think 'the youth' are actually quite individual.
Reply 4
Original post by mxliss
I highly doubt they're doing it to be American.
I live in London myself and to be honest I think 'the youth' are actually quite individual.

So why are they doing it?
Its not 'the youth' its the urban youth; the ones you see in Westfield and Hyde Park - the skaters, goths, muslims, etc are not urban and adhere to their cultures respectively.
Original post by biggronn
I agree, its very un-English, but they seem to never admit it.

It's not just them I'm referring to. Any 'social group' such as Chavs, Goths whatever; they should be punished for any sort of trouble.
Why do you care? let them do what what they want
Reply 7
Is it that deep? Who cares!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
A significant portion of our TV and clothes stores come from America.

Edit: And I hope you're not criticising them. You did, after all, copy our entire language. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Ive noticed many urban youngsters in London especially, copying the way Americans dress and talk; for example, 'blood, im wavey, word', is are all American slang terms, why do urban London youngsters decide to use these and claim they didn't copy? They wear Chicago Bulls caps, Jordans etc copying Americans, these are all of the urban American culture. Many Americans feel outraged that said youngsters 'beg' the American culture. Im just curios as Im an American now living in London, and these are not the only slang terms copied, literally everything new they see by Americans is copied, its like they have no identity. Do they do this because they want to be American? Ive noticed it is only the urban ones who do this too.

Its way to hard to get a green card duuuuuuuude.

Serious answer it's probably the exposure to your culture, we watch your TV, Films, listen to your music, even in computer games America is always the good guys :L

I don't try to be american or dress like one but i would kill for even a 0.001% of a chance of getting a greencard.
Reply 10
Original post by Joel R
A significant portion of our TV and clothes stores come from America.

Edit: And I hope you're not criticising them. You did, after all, copy our entire language. :wink:

That doesn't explain why they use our slang, I mean you have a choice, you don't have to say 'blood, wavey, yall, word, trippin' etc.

Im not, im just deeply perplexed as I see other non urban but English youngsters not engaging in any of this copycat activity.

We did not copy 'your language' as it is not 'yours'. English is a Germanic language that was brought from what is now known as the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark by Anglo Saxon settlers, but the Romans were already here - you can guess what happened after. The native language spoken was a Celtic language called Bythronic - it was not created by 'English' people (which are Germanic anyway), therefore it is not 'your' language. The language belongs to Anglo Saxons which are obviously not English.
Reply 11
I live in London and have about three friends from America and it doesn't seem to bother them, in fact they're proud if someone embraces "American culture" idk what you're on about.
Reply 12
Original post by Siggie
Its way to hard to get a green card duuuuuuuude.

Serious answer it's probably the exposure to your culture, we watch your TV, Films, listen to your music, even in computer games America is always the good guys :L

I don't try to be american or dress like one but i would kill for even a 0.001% of a chance of getting a greencard.

Not when you have family over here lol. Hmmm, I guess so. Lol what makes you wanna move over there?
Reply 13
Original post by Levingne
I live in London and have about three friends from America and it doesn't seem to bother them, in fact they're proud if someone embraces "American culture" idk what you're on about.

'idk what you're on about' You'll need to re-read my first post then.

Those Americans are not me, I particularly am fond of one who is proud and is an exhibitionist of their own culture.
Just a heads up - British "youths" have been saying "blud" (blood) since the 90s. Americans calling each other "blood" didn't really come about until the 00s, thanks to hip-hop culture.
Reply 15

"word" ? I think that was in the 90's . "blud (blood)" isn't American its Jamaican. Typcially and historicaly british youth has always copied american- or more specifically black American - youth slang of their music scene. the phrases 'cool, wicked' etc are all from the black American jazz scene of the 1930s&40s so probably most peoples granddads were imitiating them back then too. It usually starts in London then all other regions copy.
Reply 16
Original post by WoodyMKC
Just a heads up - British "youths" have been saying "blud" (blood) since the 90s. Americans calling each other "blood" didn't really come about until the 00s, thanks to hip-hop culture.

In America, Blood has been used since the 50s, as a term of address, usually among the African American community.
Reply 17
Original post by Tposs
"word" ? I think that was in the 90's . "blud (blood)" isn't American its Jamaican. Typcially and historicaly british youth has always copied american- or more specifically black American - youth slang of their music scene. the phrases 'cool, wicked' etc are all from the black American jazz scene of the 1930s&40s so probably most peoples granddads were imitiating them back then too. It usually starts in London then all other regions copy.

I have seen countless urban Londoners on Twitter saying 'Word' to everything. Yeah it is Jamaican, I was wrong. Theyve always copied? Maybe Its just me that hasnt noticed this then.
In America, Blood has been used since the 50s, as a term of address, usually among the African American community.

I'm talking about it becoming mainstream. In every English speaking country in the world, it's been used since before the 50s as it was a word used by Jamaican migrants, and it's been passed down through generations. Just saying, it was brought into hip-hop culture in England quite a while before it was in America.
Reply 19
That doesn't explain why they use our slang, I mean you have a choice, you don't have to say 'blood, wavey, yall, word, trippin' etc.

Im not, im just deeply perplexed as I see other non urban but English youngsters not engaging in any of this copycat activity.

We did not copy 'your language' as it is not 'yours'. English is a Germanic language that was brought from what is now known as the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark by Anglo Saxon settlers, but the Romans were already here - you can guess what happened after. The native language spoken was a Celtic language called Bythronic - it was not created by 'English' people (which are Germanic anyway), therefore it is not 'your' language. The language belongs to Anglo Saxons which are obviously not English.

If you are exposed to something a lot you tend to copy it. I have 'a choice' whether to speak English or French, but if everyone I know speaks English I'll speak that, and I'll also speak it with their accent/dialect in order to fit in. That's just evolution for you. If people watch a lot of TV, they'll copy it, as will their friends, so there will be some bleed effect, especially if those "youths" aren't exposed to the Queen's English all that often.

Maybe you're seeing what you expect to see; how many "non-urban youngsters" do you see when you're living in London anyway?

Well that's just a silly argument. Not only because Anglo is the origin of the word English, but because you have gone back arbitrarily far in time. If you wish to do that, then I could go back and say we all speak a very bastardised version of Dinosaur.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending