The Student Room Group

Was The Joker right about society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GwrxVurfer
Joker is my favourite villain of the trilogy for that reason. Ra's and Bane were evil but I actually found myself agreeing with Joker because I think he was spot on - Many people who claim to have values and morals will throw those values and morals aside at the first sign of trouble.

He's definitely my favourite villain of the three as well, and he's definitely up there with Magneto and Moriarty as my all-time favourite villains.
I think this is more accurate when it comes to describing humanity as a whole http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Na9-jV_OJI Sure there are people who are fighting to change this, but the system we inhabit leads to only one outcome.
He was certainly right when, in the hospital scene, he says people worry less about horrible events when they're 'part of the plan'

It's to do with perception of risk rather than some sort societal evil, though.

http://socsci2.ucsd.edu/~aronatas/project/academic/risk%20slovic.pdf
Pushing the button could be taken both ways- heroic or cowardly.
If the person that pushed the button were to say 'If I didn't push it, the other boat might and we'd all die. If they don't push it, both of us would die. However, if I push it, I can save those on the boat with me... better half live than none, right?' And that would justify them pushing the button, because they may have just saved those on the boat that they are on. Not seeing the people that they are about to kill makes it slightly easier, because all they have to do is push a button, not machine gun the people to death.

I think that those who are the law-abiding citizens would be the ones that would try to justify it, whereas the criminals would be the ones to sort of admit that they did it to save their own skin. Hmm, yeah. I don't know :tongue:
Original post by Apologetic Cube
I get the impression you're practising for BMAT Section 3 :laugh:... good articulation, good articulation...

A bit off topic but I saw your avatar and then went onto Youtube to find out how to solve a Rubik's cube and then decided that I wanted one, so I just ordered one off Amazon.

Actually, that was very off topic. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending