The Student Room Group

Spanish and German or Spanish and Film?

I need help! I've got 6 more weeks to send my UCAS form and haven't even decided what I want to do yet! I really want to study Spanish/Hispanic Studies, but don't know what to combine? I don't think a language degree alone will take me far, so I am thinking about doing joint honours! Well, here's the dilemma: I later want to work in a film production, so Film Studies is an option, but nowadays most of the people that work in the film industry don't have a degree, so I'm afraid it will be a waste of time? Another option is German as I was born in Austria and lived in Germany for a while, so I am doing German A-Level and got an A in AS, so I could also do Spanish and German? Which one do you think would be better and more useful? If I don't work in the film industry, I want to do something with translating. So, what do you think? I really don't have much time as I need to start writing my personal statement! Please help me! Thanks
Reply 1
I'm actually studying Spanish with Management this year and my mum is Austrian, so I can speak German although its not perfect in terms of grammar.
I think 2 languages would make you stand out to employers a lot and languages are quite sought-after my many employers.
I don't know much about film but I'm not too sure that employers would necessarily require a degree in film, they may offer training themselves or send you to a specific place for training. You could always get involved in film societies at university to prove your interest.
On the other hand if youre already quite fluent in German do you actually need to study it as half of your degree? You could do a German languages course alongside your degree as most universities have a foreign languages centre (that's what I'm doing for German to keep it going).
Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Thanks for you help! I guess I am not going to do Film Studies as most people say it's useless, but I probably won't do German too. What do you think would go with Spanish? Business?
Reply 3
I'm biased because thats pretty much what I'm studying but yeah I think Business and Spanish gives you a range of skills which makes you quite employable. And if youre interested in the hispanic culture there are often units on that and at some universities i remember they even have Spanish film as a unit.
I think theres another combination which is quite common like a language with European studies or INternational relations.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd agree that the languages degree would be more useful. As for whether or not you should do the German - I guess it depends if you would be considered a native speaker/native speaker fluency already.
Obviously I am biased here but I really would recommend the degree programmes for languages at Newcastle!
There's a few options you might be interested in:

Modern Languages with Translation and Interpreting (2 languages with one third of the degree made up of T&I modules. 1 lang post A Level, 1 post A Level or Beginners)

Modern Languages (2 or 3 languages including only 1 beginner's languages)

Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American Studies

Modern Languages and Business Studies (1 or 2 languages)

see here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/sml/study/undergraduate/index.html

or the Newcastle Business School offers their own International Business Management degree which can have Spanish as it's language choice.
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/n120/courseoverview/
But i'm afraid I don't know much about the business school!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending